Shape Shifters

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alleycat

Alleycat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:My son, reading, music, playing guitar, and anything to do with the paranormal.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

Anyone know about this? Supposedly Native Americans believed that people or animals were able to change into something else.

#2 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts & crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

Anyone know about this? Supposedly Native Americans believed that people or animals were able to change into something else.

I do it. I know there's another member of this site who does as well.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#3 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

Mystic*and the other member whoever he/she is* would you care to elaborate on what exactly shape shifting entails to you personally.

Shapeshifting-Wikipedia

Excerpt:

Shapeshifting in mythology and folklore

Popular shapeshifting creatures in folklore are werewolves and vampires (mostly of European, Canadian, and Native American/early American origin), the fox spirits East Asia (including the Japanese kitsune), and the gods, goddesses, and demons of numerous mythologies, such as the Norse Loki or the Greek Proteus. It was also common for deities to transform mortals into animals and plants.

Although shapeshifting to the form of a wolf is specifically known as lycanthropy, and such creatures who undergo such change are called lycanthropes, those terms have also been used to describe any human-animal transformations and the creatures who undergo them. Therianthropy is the more general term for human-animal shifts, but it is rarely used in that capacity.

Other terms for shapeshifters include metamorph, skin-walker, mimic, and therianthrope. The prefix "were-," coming from the Old English word for "man" (masculine rather than generic), is also used to designate shapeshifters; despite its root, it is used to indicate female shapeshifters as well.

Almost every culture around the world has some type of transformation myth, and almost every commonly found animal (and some not-so-common ones) probably has a shapeshifting myth attached to them. Usually, the animal involved in the transformation is indigenous to or prevalent in the area from which the story derives. It is worthy to note that while the popular idea of a shapeshifter is of a human being who turns into something else, there are numerous stories about animals that can transform themselves as well.

Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#4 Alleycat

Alleycat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:My son, reading, music, playing guitar, and anything to do with the paranormal.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

Mystic*and the other member whoever he/she is* would you care to elaborate on what exactly shape shifting entails to you personally.

Shapeshifting-Wikipedia

Excerpt:

Shapeshifting in mythology and folklore

Popular shapeshifting creatures in folklore are werewolves and vampires (mostly of European, Canadian, and Native American/early American origin), the fox spirits East Asia (including the Japanese kitsune), and the gods, goddesses, and demons of numerous mythologies, such as the Norse Loki or the Greek Proteus. It was also common for deities to transform mortals into animals and plants.

Although shapeshifting to the form of a wolf is specifically known as lycanthropy, and such creatures who undergo such change are called lycanthropes, those terms have also been used to describe any human-animal transformations and the creatures who undergo them. Therianthropy is the more general term for human-animal shifts, but it is rarely used in that capacity.

Other terms for shapeshifters include metamorph, skin-walker, mimic, and therianthrope. The prefix "were-," coming from the Old English word for "man" (masculine rather than generic), is also used to designate shapeshifters; despite its root, it is used to indicate female shapeshifters as well.

Almost every culture around the world has some type of transformation myth, and almost every commonly found animal (and some not-so-common ones) probably has a shapeshifting myth attached to them. Usually, the animal involved in the transformation is indigenous to or prevalent in the area from which the story derives. It is worthy to note that while the popular idea of a shapeshifter is of a human being who turns into something else, there are numerous stories about animals that can transform themselves as well.

Thank you Willow. I didn't realize there was so much info and so many countries that have ties to this. Mystic, please do tells us about your personal experiences.

#5 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Shapeshifters can be linked to otherkin, which lies close to me.

Otherkin are people who believe that in a past lfe they were a mythical being and were cosen to become human in this life to change the course of history somehow, but usually hate being human.

Shapeshifters are those who change into animals or other beings as has been higlighted above. Only animals can see through them but humans would be able to tell as they sometimes cant copy the foot print of the animal or the charactristics.

Shapeshifters can sometimes be linked with witchcraft, such as if you ever see the Sword in the Stone cartoon version Merlin has a shapeshifting battle with Madam Mim, the name of the game is to outwit your foe, by transforming into the foe of the form the other shifts into. Such as, a mouse, cat then a dog, then something bigger such as a crocodile, until one person out shifts the other. Which shows the other wizard smartness and swiftness.

Some believe that a shapeshifter is a witch who owns the skin of a select animal so that she has the ability to transform into the animal using the animal skin.

Skin walkers are usually a bad omen has they steal the skin of the animal or person they want to travel in.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

Shape Shifting is also a big thing embed in our culture here, even today there are stories that talks about such incidents.

Mystic (and the other ghostvillager), it would be great if we can hear more about this. Thanks in advance.
Posted Image

#7 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

I myself once had an experience with this. I've never really talked about it before and I'm not sure I should now, because it does sound a little nuts, but...I guess, like most paranormal experiences, it could be put down to a hallucination, but it was highly therapeutic and, though I think it would have to come under the heading of out-of-body occurences since I somehow went someplace other than my house and I don't think my other form could get out of there physically, it FELT very physical and, even after it was over, my body felt like it was a different shape somehow for an hour or two.

Anyway, it was only a month or two after my mom had passed away, and had also just had a stupid fight with an online friend and some other minor things went wrong that just all somehow piled up, so that I just suddenly started crying and couldn't stop for hours until my whole face was raw---at that point, I suddenly had a vision, I tend to think of it as Bast, though she didn't look much like her traditional statues, just a cat made out of fluid, slightly misty, crystal. She meowed rather angrily and I just sort of felt my body changing---into a little calico housecat. I went somewhere and felt the pleasures of being petted and scratched on the neck through short fur---a really different sensation than anything I've ever actually felt, walked around a little, jumped on and clawed at furniture, and through it all had that "Don't care and don't need n'body else unless I want 'em!" attitude cats are so well known for, then returned---somewhat gradually, as I've said, to myself, after which I lay awake feeling greatly calmed for awhile before getting up to do my normal bedtime routine and having an unexpectedly peaceful night's sleep.

As an amusing synchronistic sidelight, the following evening, I went to the video store with a friend who is somewhat of a medium, and on a whim, without my saying anything about this, she picked out a different video than we had planned on. It turned out to be the episode of Ranma 1/2 where the character of Shampoo acquires the "curse" of turning into a pink cat, whilst Ranma goes temporarily insane and *acts* like a cat. Which of the two I was closer to being, I guess I'll never know. :P
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#8 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

I texted Mystic and he'll come in when he gets home from work, which will be sometime in the morning. In case y'all are wondering, nope, the other one isn't me. I sent an email to Bear, telling him about the thread and maybe if he has a few spare seconds, he'll post his experiences also. His wife is recovering from surgery and he's got her and their 3 kids to take care of on top of a full time job so I don't know when it will be.

#9 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts & crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:15 AM

Shapeshifting-Wikipedia

I shift into a seagull. I have had numerous accounts where I had been seen in the form of a seagull. I described buildings, plants to include type and flower color, specific vehicles, etc. After giving detailed accounts the person who was the recipient of the event did verify the events as factual. One of these lives in the mid-central US. One lives in the Carolinas. One lives in Australia. Just to list a few. It's something I've done all my life. It just seemed to come natural to me. My apologies, but I honestly can't recall when it first started or even how the first flight came about.

Do I believe my physical body actually changed form into a seagull? Well, no. I believe shape-shifting is a deeper aspect of thought materialization...the ability to create a thought with such energy that the object of the thought takes on substance.

As an odd quirk, seagull has always had meaning to me. I feel seagull is symbollic of always striving to attain higher goals. If you were to take my first initial, initial of my middle name and the first three letters of my last name they spell CEGUL...which I pronounce as "seagull".

I'm not sure if I answered your question. The preceeding is my belief, my experiences, my opinion. If you have questions of me which are more specific, I will do my best to answer them.

#10 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

I have heard about shapeshifting somewhere before.

The version I have heard is that shapeshifting is linked to a negative spirit energy that had dealt with Black Magic when they were in the physical.

Shapeshifters often can change into any form and not necessarily an animal but a shape to scare people.

I cant remember where I heard this, but I could be wrong !

#11 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

Shapeshifting-Wikipedia

I posted a reply, but it seems to have disappeared.

#12 Alleycat

Alleycat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:59 AM

Shapeshifting-Wikipedia

I posted a reply, but it seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Mystic. I guess my next question was going to be...How does one shape shift? Is it done thru some sort of ritual, or just by willing yourself to do it??? It seems in your case it's the latter.

#13 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:"We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness."

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:15 AM

Have you ever thought that sometimes it could just be part of you alleycat, you dnt have to will your self to do it or preform a ritual. I often have dreams were I am a Lion and a wolf, these animals mean a lot to me. Maybe I am shapeshifting I dont know.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:35 AM

Shapeshifting-Wikipedia

I shift into a seagull. I have had numerous accounts where I had been seen in the form of a seagull. I described buildings, plants to include type and flower color, specific vehicles, etc. After giving detailed accounts the person who was the recipient of the event did verify the events as factual. One of these lives in the mid-central US. One lives in the Carolinas. One lives in Australia. Just to list a few. It's something I've done all my life. It just seemed to come natural to me. My apologies, but I honestly can't recall when it first started or even how the first flight came about.

Do I believe my physical body actually changed form into a seagull? Well, no. I believe shape-shifting is a deeper aspect of thought materialization...the ability to create a thought with such energy that the object of the thought takes on substance.

As an odd quirk, seagull has always had meaning to me. I feel seagull is symbollic of always striving to attain higher goals. If you were to take my first initial, initial of my middle name and the first three letters of my last name they spell CEGUL...which I pronounce as "seagull".

I'm not sure if I answered your question. The preceeding is my belief, my experiences, my opinion. If you have questions of me which are more specific, I will do my best to answer them.

^ This would be the reply you're talking about that disappeared? Thank you for explaining it, I find it really intriguing, i've only heard about shape shifting in the way of Wolves, Vampires*bats* or Black Birds. It sounds similar to an out of body experience or astral projection *not that i'm questioning or doubting your experience* Thank you again Mystic!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#15 Alleycat

Alleycat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

Have you ever thought that sometimes it could just be part of you alleycat, you dnt have to will your self to do it or preform a ritual. I often have dreams were I am a Lion and a wolf, these animals mean a lot to me. Maybe I am shapeshifting I dont know.

Interesting point leonie. I just thought that it would take a concious act to do the transformation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users