42 replies to this topic

#31 songdeva

songdeva

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:13 AM

Welcome Suze!

A lot of people run into that problem when first investigating an interest in Tarot.  You are *So* not the only one.

There are a few good starter books out there.
One, called Learning the Tarot, by Joan Bunning, is not only available at Barnes & Noble; it's available free on her website.

It's really excellent.  PM me if you want the address.
It's also important to get a deck that speaks to you (I can give you another web address where you can view hundreds online).

Many people advise you at the start to sit down with your new deck and look at the cards and write down the first meanings that come into your head for all of them.  Big job...there are 78!

After you've done this, THEN go read someone else's interpretations.  Point is, you are the reader, and your meanings are very important in addition to traditional ones.

Personally, I never had the patience to sit and learn the traditional ones.  I finally gave myself permission to just read intuitively (whatever popped into my head), and from there my readings took off.

Funny thing is, now, I've been considering going back to learn traditional meanings too!  Everybody has to do it in the best way for themselves.

Oracle decks are a good place to start too, because they emphasize your own intuition/meanings.  They take away the stress of traditional meanings (since there are none in most cases).

It's also good to just by a deck you like and play around with it.  It doesn't have to be serious all the time. ;)

I hope this helps!

Sd

PS: I chat on a forum like this one dedicated to Tarot and for people of ALL levels of experience.  It's a good learning place, info also available by PM.)
Learn the language of your heart, and speak its words.

#32 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:01 PM

i've been reading tarot since the age of 12 - and i routinely use them for spirit contact as well as for intuitive readings.

anymore, i just use my intuition combined with my own knowledge to divine information about spirits or situations or people, but when i do consult a book, my favorites to date are the books that accompany the haindl deck and the book that goes along with the mythic tarot.  of all the books i've read that attempt to "translate" the cards, those books match most closely to my personal beliefs about the tarot and end up being the most accurate.

however, for spiritual readings, i find that the poet's tarot is the most intuitive and most useful.  i almost always get surprisingly accurate details about hauntings, spirits, and ghosts with that deck.
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#33 songdeva

songdeva

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:02 AM

The Poet's Tarot...interesting. I only recently became aware of it when I saw it up for auction on eBay.
Learn the language of your heart, and speak its words.

#34 Chaotic_Fiend

Chaotic_Fiend

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:30 PM

How much did you guyz get ur tarot cards for? I'm kind of interested in starting

#35 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:35 PM

they are around 10-20 bucks. i imed you a site. but if you put "Tarot Cards for sale" you will get some good hits 8)

#36 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:38 PM

I generally pick up decks for about 15.00. Barnes N Noble has a good selection, and if they don't have one that appeals to you, they can order. I think they can get around 50 different decks! And they generally have sample cards of each deck to look at, even if they don't have the deck in stock.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#37 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:03 PM

I've being reading cards for many years now, and I think one of the most important things,if not the most important thing, is to make the cards your own. Care for them well, and handle them often.

I don't use traditional cards...I use a regular deck of playing cards that belonged to my great-grandmother. The strength they contain is almost visible to the eye.

I also read over a mirror - Retain the good energy, and deflect any negativity that may enter the scene through the person I am reading for.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#38 Falknz38

Falknz38

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:31 AM

Hi all, I have a question. What is the general rule on someone using your cards without your permission? My old deck was left at a friends house, i told her not to use my deck... well, not only did she play around with them but she passed them around to her kids , boyfriend, who ever.. I told her to just keep them, I didnt want them back. Since then it seems her life has pretty much fallen apart. Do you think there is any connection?

#39 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:20 PM

ANYU time something of a parnormal nature us stolen or used without permission I belive that Karma hits both fast AND hard. If you feel she has learned her lesson, take the cards back and clean them. PLEASE keep in mind, if you leave your cards in anyones care, you run the risk of them being messed with. This makes you partially to blame. To keep the Karmic fallout to a minimum I would get the cards back, clean them, then get rid of them. But that's just me.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#40 Falknz38

Falknz38

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:13 AM

Thanx for the reply and the input Mykiedave. I dont usually leave my cards laying aroundbut there were circumstances that kind of forced me to that night. I trusted her like a sister, so I thought they were left in good hands... guess not. Since then she has left State and her stuff is pretty much scattered here and there so I'm not even sure the cards are still around. I really havent had any fall out, it's been 3 years. Some personal trajedy(sp?) the first year after but i"m not connecting that with the cards . Anyway thanks for the advice

#41 MizzMo

MizzMo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:59 AM

I've heard of people passing their decks onto friends or family, and those decks becoming so intuned with those their gifted to.
When I first got my deck, the first thing I was taught was to play with them, feel them, and if you have a book, give yourself daily readings. Many do the one card reading, then interpret the meaning with the book. You can do the 3 card spread, past, present and future. These are super easy to do and they will surprise you on their accuracy. These will keep your interests up as you learn the meanings and then moving onto your own translations.

#42 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

Good point, MizzMo - And for anyone else who looks at this thread....I'm writing up lessons on this board..At this point, you'll see Lessons One, Two and Three - Take a peek if you need to brush up at all!
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#43 MizzMo

MizzMo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:39 PM

No, I thinks its totally awesome that you're willing to take the time to teach people about tarot and how to use the cards.
When I first started, it was me, and my book. I am somewhat dyslexic, and found trying to read while attempting to learn the meanings, well, I still don't know all the meanings, only what spirit gives me. I just in the last 6 weeks, quit posting alot, and began using my cards a bit more. I just started doing readings again back at a learning site, and am amazed at the accuracy of the cards and spirit. I really hope some really gifted people here take this opportunity to learn what they can, because this is something that rarely happens online. I listen to my cards much more than I would by reading my horoscope in a newspaper, or what have you. Theres some pretty intuitive people here(trust me, I can tell) and this will open up a whole new world for them.
Blessings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users