• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

Tarot cards started as a card game for Italian nobles several hundred years ago, but since then they have been used for fortune telling, personal insight, and sometimes even divination.

Has anyone used Tarot to try and either communicate with, or get messages from spirits?
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:49 PM

Wow... did not know they were originally used as a game, I'd always assumed they were a varient of the traditional playing cards which can also be used for fortune telling.
I've never used Tarot to communicate with spirits, but hmmmm, to communicate with anything- I suppose...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#3 MizzMo

MizzMo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:10 AM

I've been using the robin wood deck for over 2 years now and find when I do readings for others, or a daily spread for myself, their pretty accurate. The key to really getting them accustomed to your own energy, is using intuition, which took me a year to trust on my own.
I had also picked up a native american deck which I haven't used much.
I find it interesting that they were used as a game too.

#4 SpiritChaser

SpiritChaser

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Pokemon Pearl Version (for the DS), Nintendogs (again for the DS), drawing/painting, reading

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:52 PM

I am learning Tarot cards...I just bought a dragon deck after I had lost my first set when moving >:)
Don't know how that happened either......

When I had my first set, I did a reading for my future sister in law, and it pretty much hit the nail on the head for her, we were both amazed!

I also have a Pendulum that I use on occasion as well, it has helped me locate a missing item.
POW/MIAs~YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!!Life's a witch, then you fly!!!My other car is a broomI wore black before it was cool!If going to church makes you a Christian, then does going to the garage make you a car?Things haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister.....:(

#5 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:36 PM

I've done readings with tarot professionally, but never to communicate with a "spirit". To me, it's just a tool to tap into my own intuition. No "otherwordly" thing about it.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#6 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:10 AM

I would love to see Tarot cards at work.  I have never seen them used before.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:20 AM

one of my good friend from GV did a reading for me. Pretty accurate one ;D Though my decisions were already made before the reading was done.
Posted Image

#8 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

That's probably the best thing :)  YOu know what's disappointing though?  When almost everyone at the table in a Chinese restaurant gets the exact same fortune in their cookie. [smiley=cwm30.gif]
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:32 AM

:) that is what the DAILY FORTUNES give you lol
Posted Image

#10 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

Are there any tips to learning to interpret the tarot more effectively?  I seem to be drawing the right cards, but they never make sense to me directly until someone else interprets them...Then, I've heard it's harder to read for yourself than for others, but I don't know anyone who would want me to read for them until I'm more proficient at it anyway...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#11 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

Do you have a simple translation book?  When I first got mine I couldn't read them at all- and had to keep referring to a simple book and use lots of guess work, now I use the book more as a safety net.  In the end it all comes down to practice I guess.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#12 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, I have a translation book, usually I can't see how the stuff in it applies, but then someone else will be able to interpret in a broader sense that I would never think of just from reading the little explanations...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#13 MizzMo

MizzMo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:25 AM

The thing is, you eventually have to toss the book aside, once you know what the card stand for, then use your intuition from there. Yes, it is really hard to read for yourself, but once you practice reading for others, your intuition will take care of the rest.
Normally when I read for someone, I meditate a minimum of 15 minutes before hand. I like to go into deep meditation of at least 30-45 minutes, but others may not need to. Once you come out from meditation, ask for assistance from your higher self, guides to draw a card for the sitter. Hold the cards, then shuffle. I normally will cut the deck only once, but do whats comfortable for you. Then ask to draw a card for that person. This will help attune your energy towards the sitter. I look up the meaning of that card, but I use intuition from there. Go with your first thoughts, whether you feel they're right or wrong. If you'd like, you can practise on me. Inbox me if you'd like.

#14 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:59 AM

I prefer not to use the book at all. I could pull the exact same cards in a spread as another reader but interpret it in two entirely different manners. My interpretation of, say, The Five of Cups is no where near the book, nor is it exact to anyone elses interpretations of it. Regardless, my readings have been highly accurate for the most part. I would suggest picking one card a day and meditating on it, writing down first impressions, what YOU think the pictures mean, etc. After all, it's YOUR intuition that matters here, not the author of some small book.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#15 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:02 AM

I agree with ana, and seriously, that's when I became efficent in reading the cards. Sure, at first you might need OTHERS' interpertations, but eventually, and if you wish to make it personal, you have to attribute your OWN meanings to them. Start off with a simple one or two word meaning...like for me when I see the 9 of cups, I call it the 'wish' card, meaning that you will soon have an opportunity to make several 'wishes'. It just means that the universal spirit has decided to be generous with you and give you a taste of the good life! lol

But as for communicating with spirits through the cards...have to say no, because I see it more as a tool to garner info from the subconscious...but wouldn't mind giving it a go one fine day! ;D

But trust me, if you look around enough, a LOT of people are gonna ask you to do a spread from them. From MY experience it's STOPPING them from always asking you questions that's the REAL prob! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users