19 replies to this topic

#1 NotSure

NotSure

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

I'd like to know whether there are some people around that can talk to animals via photos. I know some people who say they could do that, talk to animals, I mean. And they often write down what they talked about with the respective animal.

I find that hard to believe, but I am not completely convinced of the impossibility of doing that. Now there is only one way for me to find out wether thats really possible - either I try it myself (don't think that would work, though) or find someone who says they can talk to animals and respectfully aks them to talk to one of my dogs. Mind you, that is not supposed to be a test or anything.
I'd like to be a believer but find myself too sceptical by nature to just accept the possibilty of human-animal conversation with a photo as one of the means of communication.

It would be easy enough for me to simply ask one of the people doing this conversation thing if they could talk to one of my dogs but the problem is: I'd never know if they were just guessing cleverly because all those people know quite a lot about me and my dogs.

Also, would it be possible to contact a deceased animal? Or would that be a disturbance of sorts?

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to GV Notsure.

I have never talked to a living animal, though I feel I know what my pets are thinking. It's kind of like how you know what your baby's individual cries mean (if you're a parent). When I come home from work they're saying---"you're home, you're home, we're so happy to see you!" But seriously, I know what you mean and I have heard there are people who can communicate with animals.

As far as contacting deceased pets; well I can tell you mine are around my house all the time. I'm sure many others on here will vouch for that. In fact my dog Chloe came by for a visit tonight as she does quite often. I also believe they greet us when we pass over to the next plane.

It's good to be skeptical. Don't apologize for it. We all have our beliefs and you'll find that no one here will try to convince you of anything. It is up to each of us to believe what we choose. GV is a great place to learn, debate, discuss, grow and make friends. I'm glad you're here. Just take note that there are many people with a lot of experience in these matters who have an awful lot of knowledge to share.

Enjoy getting to know everyone. Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

This is a very cool topic because some of my few run-ins with the paranormal come from experiences with spirits of pets that I had that passed on. I've never really heard of the communication thing the way you described it with a photo. You mean people can talk to animals with some psychic ability? I've heard of animal psychologists that study animal behavior and have a knack for figuring out what animals are trying to say and how they feel, but that's not really paranormal. I talk to my cats all the time. I don't exactly have conversations about politics and sports with them, but I talk to them and I can understand what their moods are and what they're thinking. It just comes from spending time with them and figuring out what their behaviors mean. Like dogs that I've had in the past, they do know a number of words and probably pick up on subtle things like my tone of voice because they certainly know what I tell them sometimes. One of my cats, if he happens to be sitting in my favorite chair, will always move to the handle if I simply say in a casual way "Hey, scoot over dude." lol

As far as contacting them in the afterlife, I don't know how you could do that. I do know that a dog that I had from age 3 till age 20 didn't seem to go after dying. He used to wake me up in the morning and drag his leash over to my bed to tell me he needed to be walked. Well, after he passed away I frequently heard the sound his chain leash made dragging along the wooden floor of my bedroom. Several people visiting my place heard it as well. Then, certain objects that he often liked to get ahold of in life would go missing or be moved. I even woke up once from the feeling that something jumped on my bed, which he used to do all the time. As crazy as this all sounds, I actually tried to do the typical thing you see happening on TV shows about people who talk to the dead. I spoke to "him" and told him to go ahead and move on and to go towards the light if he can see it. I told him to go wait for me there and that I'd come to him eventually. And I honestly never heard the chain sound again. A few years later, I had another dog pass away and I would swear I kept seeing her out of the corner of my eye. So, I did the same thing and it seems to have worked.

#4 Sora

Sora

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

i dont get the photos bit, but i used to talk to animals. i dont own one but i kinda believe that they understood me somehow. beyond the barrier of language. they sensed my tone and i sensed theirs.

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

If you've had a pet long enough, and pad enough attention, you can communicate on a certain level. This goes beyond the realm of simple tricks. One of my cats had a way of flicking her tail that meant she wanted to show us something. Another cat had 8 different vocal sounds. Each cat recognized its name.

As far as using pictures, I read that's how Koko was first trained. She was shown a picture, then taught the sign language for that object. Koko advanced on her own and can carry on conversations either in sign language or pointing at pictures. I don't know if non-primate animals are smart enough to progress that far (well, with the pictures anyways, since they can't sign).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#6 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

I just wanted to respond to Shawn333. I read that dogs understand about 100 words that we use on a daily basis. I know my dogs know cookie, carrot, treat, outside, night-night, etc. I know they know the difference between treat and carrot because when I say carrot, they run to the fridge and when I say treat they run to the cabinet even if I'm in another room when I say it. Sometimes Mimi, my pomeranian will start going towards the bedroom around 10 because that's what time I usually go to bed, so if I'm going to stay up I'll say, "no Mimi, it's not time for night-night yet," and she'll turn around and come back to the living room and lay at my feet until I go. So I am convinced they know not only words, but sentences as well!

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!!

#7 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality, TRUE Catholicism, the moral conscience, life and death.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

My cat, rest his gentle spirit, used to try and speak and he was very smart. If we were eating something he liked, he would verbalize a phrase that sounded like, "I want some." He would literally wrap his mouth and tonge areound the text in order to sound out the words the best he could. He had favorite songs which turned him into a loving furball and ones that he would run from. I miss him. We saved him from being put to sleep when his original owner had enough of his fleas and had him for 13 years longer. He was nearly twenty when a series of strokes led to having to put him down. I miss him.
A friend in this life is a friend there after.

#8 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

Dandelion, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved cat. It's wonderful that he had you for all those years and he knows he was truly blessed.

Kira

#9 thesameones

thesameones

Rude and Crude

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

Hi Notsure:

From my point of view the answer to your question might depend upon how we look at it. No, animals do not talk. That is they do not speak. Not the way we use speach. Quite apparent. They do communicate though. They communicate with one another and with us if we are listening. What ever level of understanding or ESP each of us might share with animals I think is a complicated process, one that is difficult to define. Just as with the human to human experience. Needless to mention is a process no one has been able to completely identify yet. I'm enclined to think that the gifts of exceptional experience are bestowed by grace, and are in proportion to our ability to perceive and to give in a spiritual sense. It seems logical to me that above all gifts of unique insights are not some thing we can will or force or achieve by means other than grace. Yet we all, on some level, can communicate with animals. Having a appreciation and attachment to animals I find that most small (and some large) animals do not fear me. Just last week while vacationing a chickmonk spent considerable time interacting with and entertaining me at me feet. The wild life in my yard (whom I feed of course) seem to be very comfortable with me. Birds fly about my head. Squirrels and chickmonks sit at me feet inquisitively examining me while I talk to them. The only time I have ever been stung by a bee, wasp, or hornet is when I mistakengly slapped them. Having dogs no doubt you understand the intimacy much like the intimacy we share with other (human) loved ones. It's not simply response to learned behavior that you and the animal can sense one another's needs and feelings. It is no chance that your dog knows when you will return home, even if you return at different times each day. It's not coincidence that dogs mourn, and know before humans of a death. The big things to keep in mind are that we receive in proportion to our capacity to give and receive. Some people are good at giving, but are closed where receiving is concerned; and that these exchanges cannot happen by force. They must happen naturally through grace. So be aware of the grace of the gift in interaction with animals that you possess. Awareness is a begining to greater understanding. What ever gifts we receive they are meant to develope naturally. Some times our gifts are subtle or transparent to others. That's okay. Where the many gifts of life are concerned just be aware and enjoy the ride.

#10 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

[quote name='aloha_spirit' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:03 PM' post='421135']
If you've had a pet long enough, and pad enough attention, you can communicate on a certain level. This goes beyond the realm of simple tricks. One of my cats had a way of flicking her tail that meant she wanted to show us something. Another cat had 8 different vocal sounds. Each cat recognized its name.

I've been fortunate to have cats that do appear to understand certain phrases. Our youngest cat, Tatiana, comes when she's called 9 out of 10 times. Our other cat comes sometimes, but plays when we ask "who wants to play?". Both cats know when we're giving treats, as we often ask "who wants a cat treat?" and that brings them running so fast they're feline blurs. <grin>

She's just over 1 year old, and we've only had her since mid-March 2007.

She came to us shortly after we lost our near 17 year old cat to kidney failure, and our other cat, Osiris, was in a very deep depression and needing another cat companion. The two are the best of friends, and he's even closer with Tatiana than he was with Cuddlebug (our recently departed cat).

Cuddlebug was unusually smart - we'd ask her to go sit by the couch, and she would. She would also sit when asked (we don't command - cats don't like commands <g>), give kisses when asked, and even knew when I was talking to my mom on the phone, as she would take over and talk with my mom. We do feel her presence around every now and then - Osiris really knows when she's around, as he seems "distant" and oblivious to the current surroundings. When Cuddlebug's presence fades, he's back and totally alert.

So, do pets understand words? I think so. I'd really like to believe so. Every cat that has lived with us seems to understand human moods, too. When I'm sad about losing Cuddlebug, Tatiana comes up and puts her little front paw on my face and kisses me on the forehead. So totally worth it to have her in our lives.

What a wonderful topic! :weeee:
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#11 NotSure

NotSure

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Its been quite a while since I posted my question here, and I've had someone talk to my dogs via photographs in the meantime. It was ...interesting... in a way, and I am glad I didn't have to pay for the experience - because it would have been a complete waste of money :(

This woman I asked to talk to my two (living) dogs claimed to have had extended mental contact with both of them, and she asked them the questions I had written down for her. For example "What do you like to do most?", "Are you happy?", "What scares you?",....

The answers she sent me after getting in touch with my dogs were quite stereotypical - the Border Collie Mixed breed loves to play "fetch the ball" (what a surprise :Spaz: ) and my tiny dog loves to run alongside the bike (she had never ever done that at the time so she wouldn't know what it is like and whether she'd really like it), my older dog is scared of being left alone,... things like that. So nothing important, really.

Also, at the end of last year, a dog in the neighborhood had gone missing. It had run off with the leash still attached to the collar. 2 oder 3 days after the dog had run off, an "animal communicator" was contacted and asked to help find the location of the dog - she gave quite precise hints as to where the dog could be found, described the feelings of the dog, what it was seeing,... the dog owner really believed in the "animal communicator", and a large number of people started searching for the dog in the described area. For days on end people were setting up food traps and the like, but the dog was nowhere to be seen.

4 days later, someone contacted the owner, telling her, that her dog had been run over by a train and immediately removed - about 30 minutes after it ran away.

So for me those "animal communicators" are a bunch of frauds, though I am sure that they mean no harm and actually do believe themselves able to contact animals through a spiritual connection.

Too bad, I would have loved to know what my dogs are thinking. Of course I can "read" their body language and interpret many of the meaningful glances they often direct at me, but it would have been nice to actually know what they are thinking. (Though I guess I even know that when it comes to my tiny dog, its usually about food-play-walks in that order :weeee: )

#12 Seer

Seer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:The Metaphysical. Healing, Self healing, meditation, expanding awareness.<br /><br />I run a meditation group on Wednesday evenings. <br /><br />I love helping others.<br /><br />I am a constant reader and love to learn whatever I can. <br /><br />I used to ride a Harely Sportster 1200 but just upgraded to a Softtail Nighttrain 1450. It's beautiful.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

I am sorry that you have had negative experiences with people but all are not what they say they are. There are those that are truly talented in this area and can help.

I had my neice call me about two years ago and tell me that her boyfriends parents dog had run off along with the boyfriends dog. They had found his dog unfortunately he was hit by a car and did not survive. The other was a small white dog and they were desperately trying to find it. She knows about my abilities and asked if I could help. I told her that I would try. Then it started to come to me.

The message that came though was very clear. I told her to leave the driveway and turn left, go to a stop sign and turn left again. There was a street lined with huge trees and had many houses. The house was light yellow had a porch on the front. The trim was white and it had lattice work around the bottom also painted white. There was enough room for a dog to get under. I told her to look for that.

She called me about a half hour later and had found the dog in the exact spot. I was glad I could help.

I believe that when someone or something is in distress a message will get through much clearer in order to help.

Are you concerned for your dog's health or you just want to know in general?

I keep getting an image of a small short haired dog shivering. It's hair is a redish brown color. If it's your dog then you need to get a sweater for it to wear around the house and it will give comfort when you are not home.

Seer
I am more than my physical body.

#13 NotSure

NotSure

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi Seer,

I am mostly concerned for one of my dog's well-being. He is my older dog, 6 years old and unfortunately far from healthy. I would like to know if there is something special I could do for him that I haven't already thought of, or anything like that. I would also like to see him relax a bit - he is easily scared and often very stressed out due to his illness.

I have heard of similar situations as the one you just described - where the person contacting the dog really did get information that could not have been obtained by simple lucky guesswork.

#14 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your dog. I talk to mine all the time but that's in person.
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#15 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

I firmly believe that there are those who can communicate with animals. We are all connected. ;)
petunia4998

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users