• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Palimpsest

Palimpsest

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:14 AM

Wah, my sister went away with the camera so I can't post a pic of my BoS, but this comes closest to it... notebook-sized, but loose-leaf! It's great. But, my one has acrylic covers instead of the leather cover in the picture, and no pockets. I call it my Book of Shadows, and decorate it with suns and smiley faces to confuse :wave:

Something interesting I picked up was that one's magickal journal ought to have a symbol of protection on it, because as you fill it out you're smearing it with bits of your soul and so it's a vulnerable point to attack. I thought that was kind of paranoid (I don't even assume that anyone's out to read my private notes in its rambling stream-of-consciousness writing style with indecipherable handwriting,) but because I like to decorate and experiment I challenged myself not to use the encircled pentagram and stamped on some Solomon's Key talismans and my own protective glyph made from the statement "read not beyond this page" and programmed with personal exception.

Edited by Palimpsest, 02 August 2007 - 04:16 AM.

#17 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

Wow, I AM paranoid. I don't have a composit, working book of shadows because I once had an english teacher tell me, if you write it down it's published. So I formed this idea that if you don't anyone to read something don't EVER write it down.
This is of course counter productive so I think I will look into a small safe. With a big lock on it. LOL
Not that my husband or my friends would look at something I asked them not too. But as I say I am VERY paranoid.
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#18 Palimpsest

Palimpsest

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

I once had an english teacher tell me, if you write it down it's published. So I formed this idea that if you don't anyone to read something don't EVER write it down.
This is of course counter productive so I think I will look into a small safe. With a big lock on it. LOL
Not that my husband or my friends would look at something I asked them not too. But as I say I am VERY paranoid.

Aww, maybe she meant it to be encouraging? I also suffer from counterproductive perfectionism. Anyway, I heard that people who keep diaries do it because they "subconsciously" want their thoughts known to someone else -- but in the case of the BoS I think it's just because there's so much in magickal study that can't all be kept in one head (of course, the same can be said for life lessons and diaries :P.) Oh, yes, small safe with a big lock -- far more effective than a dozen pentacles! :weeee:

#19 cryptokiller

cryptokiller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:09 AM

Actually, I think that I have stumbled upon the perfect hybrid of technology and practicality, and all it took me was a year of trial and error, and way too much money.

Do you guys know what I am on about when I say meeting folder? The leather bound, slightly larger than A4, zip uppable (yeah, I know that's not a word) 3 ring binder with loads of little pockets and slots for business cards and PDA's and Memory Sticks and stuff that business people take to work with them?

Well I still store all my info digitally on a dedicated Memory Stick, a cute little black number actually, but I print out the finished work on A4 and place it into the meeting folder, along, of course, with the Memory Stick itself. Plus the pockets and slots on the inside are great for storing little charms and trinkets too.

Not bad, and not even that expensive either, as I'd have spent twice as much on an Internet bought Book Of Shadows for example, or on having all my loose work bound professionally.

cryptokiller
London
UK

#20 NightNGaleX3x

NightNGaleX3x

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Being complicated. Seems to be a talent of mine and I stick to it without conscious thought.

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Three leaf binder! haha. It's so practical. I print stuff off of the internet, I put notes from the things I high-light or tab from books, I write my own spells or notes in there. It's really nifty and all organized and has an index. I simply call it my "Grimoire" and "Grimoire" is what it says on the front. I just use print paper and writing paper. Nothing fancy. I mean, I don't think it needs to be. It's something from the creative process needs to be free in, I think, so scratching out things or putting notes on the side bars is one hundred percent okay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users