Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

How open are you about believing in ghosts?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Believing

When it comes to admitting to others that you believe in ghosts/spirits, how quickly do you do it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

I answered that I tell people within the first few times I meet them. For me its not about believing in ghosts. I know, the same way I know the sky is blue. If I bring it up, I mention ghost hunts Ive been on and treat it like an adventure, right up there with any other interesting hobby anyone might have. If they're receptive and seem interested, I move into indisputable personal experience or things others have also witnessed. I try very hard not to come off like a stereo type and to be a good spokesperson for all of us ghost lovers. The most suprising thing is how many people are open minded now that the ghost shows have become so popular.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#17 gaia227

gaia227

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:I am an animal lover and proud mama of two beautiful kitties, love and respect the earth and it's inhabitants, I am trying to do my part as far as reducing MY effect on the earth, global warming, animal habitat destruction, etc - don't own a car use mass transit, recycle, donate money and time, learning to become more energy effcient-that kinda thing.<br />I am interesting in social/political issues and tend to be pretty opinionated about it. Mostly my interests with that lie in the plight of third world countries living in the shadow of 1st world industry super-powers....fun, huh?<br />On a lighter note I love to read, love crossword puzzles, a strong cup of Earl Grey tea, a little bit of a history buff, obviously interested in the paranormal, love a good ghost story, music is a big part of my life, love going to the theater, museums, I love old things-anything that has a good history behind it intrigues me, collect old photographs of NYC, use to fancy myself as a writer but starting to rethink that.<br />On an academic level my interests are in Anthropology, Archaeology, animal science/behavior, social/political philosophy-Marxism.

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

I am pretty open about it. I am an active investigator in the NYC group and I don't have any problems telling people. Most people who know me recognise I am a skeptical believer meaning I always try to find a logical explanation for something before I consider the option it could be paranormal. My interest in the paranormal has been a lifelong one and I guess at this point I consider it to be a part of who I am so it is only natural it comes up in conversation, introductions, etc. I have never encountered anyone who I felt judged me or was condescending towards me because I am a 'believer.' My husband absolutely does not believe in ghosts at all but I think he finds my ghosthunting, ghost-related television show watching and topical conversation endearing. He likes to give me a hard time about it but in a good-natured way.

#18 DeadWatch

DeadWatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

I am open about it to anyone who asks. Like a majority of respondents here, I don't bring it up in conversation normally. But then again everyone knows I am a freak anyways!!! :chainsaw:
Todd BanksFounder/DirectorThe DeadWatch SocietyPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 sensitiveinIn

sensitiveinIn

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

I am open about it to anyone who asks. Like a majority of respondents here, I don't bring it up in conversation normally. But then again everyone knows I am a freak anyways!!! :chainsaw:

Well, I guess I'm an investigator now too! I went on my first "case" tthe other night and it was interesting. I got to see how the equipment is used and actually saw someone trying to communicate with us through some of the instruments. It was a little girl who had passed away in the house. Sooooooo, there you have it!!!! Any, way.......Linda SensitiveinIn

#20 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

I would admit to believing to anyone at anytime, but the work i do , well thats a different story, i think i would keep that to myself a bit more

:chainsaw:

#21 sensitiveinIn

sensitiveinIn

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

I would admit to believing to anyone at anytime, but the work i do , well thats a different story, i think i would keep that to myself a bit more

:chainsaw:

What work do you do that you have to be so quiet about things?

#22 GravenMoonglow

GravenMoonglow

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

I am very open. But i guess that it depends on how you portray yourself in your life. People a;ready know that i am an abnormal person (AKA freak). :clap:
There is always two sides to the story... well thats what they tell me anyway.

#23 jeffrey wands

jeffrey wands

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:34 PM

I am very open. But i guess that it depends on how you portray yourself in your life. People a;ready know that i am an abnormal person (AKA freak). :clap:

i am very open!i stopped worrying about what other people think along time ago,Being on t.v. and in various media outlets allow me to be me.Remember dare to be great !!!!!!!
jeffrey wands

#24 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

:headbang:

What work do you do that you have to be so quiet about things?

Sorry for not replying earlier to your question 'sensitiveinIn'

But my 'gift' is help people cross over and to help those that have already crossed over with general things such as 'whys' and 'wherefores' if you get my meaning.

And this is certainly something I would want to share with everyone i meet, its not that im afraid or ashamed its my personal decision.

Mark :)

#25 SpiderMeema

SpiderMeema

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

Once someone gets past the initial shock of an encounter with the spirit world, and after all the reasoning in the world can't explain it away, it is hard to not believe, and I think we have a tendency to want to share it with someone. You have to test the waters, and take in to consideration how close you are with certain people. I personally wouldn't tell someone who did not truly love and respect me in the first place. I don't have time to "justify" what I beieve in, and there are far too many interesting facets in the paranormal to investigate, to try and convince everybody. Most people will have a story. or know of someone who has a story, and on and on it goes. What matters most to me is that I BELIEVE, and not to worry if others know what I believe in. Life is a big. open book, with so many pages that are just waiting to be read.

#26 JSM1937

JSM1937

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

My answer is not represented in the poll.
I am open to tell people that I am interested in ghosts. I also tell people that I would like to see evidence of ghosts. But I also tell people that I am a skeptic.
Of course I don't just bring it up in early conversation with someone I just met.

#27 inquisitive

inquisitive

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Most aspects of the paranormal, excluding perhaps UFO's.

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

I picked the last option, but it is not necessarily true. If the topic comes up and people seem receptive to the idea then I will tell them I believe in ghosts and maybe one or two experiances I have had that convinced me. I'm usually not too afraid of being ridiculed, my mother's side of the family has always been interested in ghosts because as children my mother and her siblings lived in a haunted house. So I think I got used to talking about my experiances from that. Plus as someone else said, I think believing in ghosts is not considered quite as weird now, what with all the new paranormally focused shows on TV.

Now if it is some other paranormal aspect, I might not be as forthcoming about my beliefs. Or, I have had experiances where I knew what was going to happen before it did. Plus I believe that I can sense the presence of ghosts (I say believe because its hard to prove and I tend to try and ignore it). That goes beyond merely believing in possibities in my opinion. And when you believe strongly in something, or in some extra ability that you have people seem to be more willing to deem you crazy. So I wouldn't bring up any other paranormal things I'm interested in unless it was to someone who already seemed genuinely interested or open.

#28 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

As a rule, I only tell those who are close to me, unless the subject comes up.

I'm known to be a bit "weird" anyways, so I'm not worried about my reputation. <grin>

I mean, I belong to a Science Fiction club based on Trek, and I also belong to a Scottish group at the local Renaissance Faire.

Sadly, I've lost several of my Faire Friends over the last few years. Only one has visited me, and the funniest part was that in life, she did NOT believe in an afterlife. Her visit was a huge surprise, and it may have been justified as I was creating some items in her memory to give as gifts to all who knew her.

What an interesting topic. :D
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#29 SpiderMeema

SpiderMeema

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

I picked the last option, but it is not necessarily true. If the topic comes up and people seem receptive to the idea then I will tell them I believe in ghosts and maybe one or two experiances I have had that convinced me. I'm usually not too afraid of being ridiculed, my mother's side of the family has always been interested in ghosts because as children my mother and her siblings lived in a haunted house. So I think I got used to talking about my experiances from that. Plus as someone else said, I think believing in ghosts is not considered quite as weird now, what with all the new paranormally focused shows on TV.

Now if it is some other paranormal aspect, I might not be as forthcoming about my beliefs. Or, I have had experiances where I knew what was going to happen before it did. Plus I believe that I can sense the presence of ghosts (I say believe because its hard to prove and I tend to try and ignore it). That goes beyond merely believing in possibities in my opinion. And when you believe strongly in something, or in some extra ability that you have people seem to be more willing to deem you crazy. So I wouldn't bring up any other paranormal things I'm interested in unless it was to someone who already seemed genuinely interested or open.

Once I get to know someone, I will tell what I am all about, that gives them an out right at the beginning, if they are too freaked by the paranormal, that gives them a chance to bow out gracefully, wi th out feigning interest in something they have no clur about.

SM

#30 DonaQ

DonaQ

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

I picked number 3, but it isn't quite true of me, either. I WANT it to be true because I don't fancy people thinking me crazier than they already do, but then I'm not overly concerned how people I barely know view me. I keep it quiet in the apartment complex where we live, because the "ghosts" I see live here, too, and I don't want peopl.e looking at us oddly, but even more don't want people to be to know the place is "haunted" for the sake of the "ghosts." (I put the words I put in quotes because I'm not real sure whether what we have is ghosts or visitors from outer space or what, but I have no doubt they're here. I don't doubt what I've seen . . . and my boyfriend has seen them, too. At least one other person who lived h ere saw them and WAS branded crazy, but there are certain people who know this place isn't "normal."

Anyway, I would LIKE to be reticent about it, but I'm a chatterbox and since we moved in here in April I have blurted it out to the girl at the photo dept at Walgreens (because I wanted every picture on the film I was having developed to BE developed.) And I told my doctor (GP not psychiatrist) who seemed quite interested in the news and not just because he was mentally measuring me for a straitjacket, I hope. The "ghosts" are better than the neighbors elsewhere I used to tell him about, lol.

DonaQ
http://thehauntedpickle@myblog.com

Edited by DonaQ, 07 September 2007 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users