Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

How open are you about believing in ghosts?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Believing

When it comes to admitting to others that you believe in ghosts/spirits, how quickly do you do it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Direwrath

Direwrath

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

I'm very outspoken about what I believe is possible, not in a way that I try to make people believe as I do, but more like I'm proud of my ability to leave my mind open to all possibilites. I've learned through life that people will judge you whether or not they know those little secrets, so I'll give them something to judge. :)
My Personal site, artwork etc..Posted Image

#47 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

I believe in Ghosts...I'm way open to this. I've heard a few stories from my relatives who have encountered the other side to have intrigued me and allowed me to realize that we're among the spirits :(

Whatever

#48 Copper

Copper

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

I believe in Ghosts...I'm way open to this. I've heard a few stories from my relatives who have encountered the other side to have intrigued me and allowed me to realize that we're among the spirits :ghost:

I have just had an encounter, so, yes, I do believe in ghosts. I didn't used to, I always thought that there may be something there, but wasn't quite sure what. I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered a mean ghost. or one that hurt people. Has anyone ever heard of this before.
Copper

#49 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:59 PM

There's all kinds. Just like there are all kinds of people.

Welcome to the village!
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#50 Ditz

Ditz

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:drinking, smoking, tattoos, piercings, drawing, recording, witchcraft (im wiccan)

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

I believe in Ghosts...I'm way open to this. I've heard a few stories from my relatives who have encountered the other side to have intrigued me and allowed me to realize that we're among the spirits :ghost:

I have just had an encounter, so, yes, I do believe in ghosts. I didn't used to, I always thought that there may be something there, but wasn't quite sure what. I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered a mean ghost. or one that hurt people. Has anyone ever heard of this before.
Copper

we have a mean ghost. He doesnt much care for me where as the lads that I live with he doesn't mind.

#51 GHIceman

GHIceman

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:I run a moderately successful online magazine. Also into Film-making, Bigfoot and other cryptids, Charles Fort, cliff diving, paranormal adventuring, road trips, polaroid cameras, making killer lattes, urban exploring, rocking out with my pee-pee out.

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

This is a tough one. I usually wait for awhile to sort of get a feel for people first. While it seems like just about everyone has had some kind of weird experience at least once in their lives, there is still a large majority of people who are willing to slap a label on anyone that they know is in any way involved in poking around with the occult. It's usually one of those situations where I'll wait to see if they express any interest before really going into it. I've found that a good way to segway into the ghost side of things is to start with urban exploration. It's a pretty non-threatening thing for someone to hear that you just enjoy playing around abandoned buildings.

I think that as "ghost hunters", "paranormal investigators", "adventurers", whatever-you-call-it, that we have a responsibility to try and look as sane as possible. Doing anything other than coming across as completely normal people who fit reasonably into society damages not only our image, but the image of everyone else involved in this field. Credibility is definitely something that this field is lacking right now thanks to the way that we are portrayed in the media. Too many bad psychics like Sylvia Brown, too many bad "ghost hunters" on shows like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted, and they, sadly, represent their respective groups a great deal considering their media presence.

Jumping the gun on telling a "straight" what you believe, and how you are unarguably correct in your beliefs will only scare them off, and they'll just tell their friends about what a whackjob you are. I think that easing someone into telling them what you believe/what you do is really the best choice for everyone in this situation.

Then again, this is just my opinion.
"Who Forted?" Magazine!The 'Net's Greatest 'Zine About Weird Stuff!

Posted Image

#52 UnScene

UnScene

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

This is a tough one. I usually wait for awhile to sort of get a feel for people first. While it seems like just about everyone has had some kind of weird experience at least once in their lives, there is still a large majority of people who are willing to slap a label on anyone that they know is in any way involved in poking around with the occult. It's usually one of those situations where I'll wait to see if they express any interest before really going into it. I've found that a good way to segway into the ghost side of things is to start with urban exploration. It's a pretty non-threatening thing for someone to hear that you just enjoy playing around abandoned buildings.

I think that as "ghost hunters", "paranormal investigators", "adventurers", whatever-you-call-it, that we have a responsibility to try and look as sane as possible. Doing anything other than coming across as completely normal people who fit reasonably into society damages not only our image, but the image of everyone else involved in this field. Credibility is definitely something that this field is lacking right now thanks to the way that we are portrayed in the media. Too many bad psychics like Sylvia Brown, too many bad "ghost hunters" on shows like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted, and they, sadly, represent their respective groups a great deal considering their media presence.

Jumping the gun on telling a "straight" what you believe, and how you are unarguably correct in your beliefs will only scare them off, and they'll just tell their friends about what a whackjob you are. I think that easing someone into telling them what you believe/what you do is really the best choice for everyone in this situation.

GH., very good expression. I just recently joined and started with the question of accredited schools. I have the chance to now devote myself to full time writing, and my subject will be the paranormal. Someone on the site asked me why if felt I needed papers with "letters behind my name", this is the perfect example, credibility. When I send a manuscript to a publisher, I expect my work, and knowledge, to be respected and not lumped with the "new age" people who have hung out their shingle and call themselves professionals.
I have had the good foutune to grow up in a family, and a extended family where the paranormal was a way of life and never questioned. But, I'm finding, like my father used to say, "a little religion goes a long way".
I get most upset with the condensending attitude of "Oh, ain't that cute".
But, I can be just as passionate as the next, and I won't back down. I have my belief's and I am proud of the scars they have left.

#53 DuctTapeYeti

DuctTapeYeti

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Rocky Horror (performer for many casts) Horror anything, literature, B-flicks

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

As many people have said in preceding replies - I'll tell people if the subject comes up but I don't just say "Hi I'm Bob - I believe in ghosts". Usually by recounted a couple experiences (a big one - the full body apperition from a few years ago) and a small one I can get them started on their own once they get past the "movie" version of hautings.
~I would like.. if I may... to take you, on a strange journey

#54 Celtic_Spirits

Celtic_Spirits

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, History, Family, Gardening, Horses, Outdoors, Historical locations.

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:54 AM

I chose only those who are close to me. I learned that lesson long ago. It does not matter how much I believe it is how that belief is perceived by others. I have been given that 'look' more times than I care to count. :wow:

I work at a school and unlike Les, it is not a welcome topic. I work with teenagers, some of who I know believe, but are leery of opening up due to the area we live in.

It is not a topic that readily comes up in a conversation. It seems to pop up after people have been drinking, and the looks can still be very strong. I am only as open to those who are accepting and have a belief in the subject. I was married five years before I could talk to my husband about it. He was very close minded until he had his own encounter. Now he is as eager as I am to find a group to join in our area. He too wants to know the truth and seek the proof.
Posted Image

#55 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:01 AM

I tell everyone and anyone, hehehe. I'm constantly coming into contact with people with whom the subject always seems to come up...and therefore I keep a large stack of business cards on me at all times. I also proudly wear my group t-shirt, or another paranormal investigator type shirt out in public, hehe.

I'm in WV, which although technically in the Bible Belt, is full of wonderful and very superstitious mountain folk, lol. Everywhere you go, someone has a story to tell, and I've had the pleasure of not only meeting people who have referred cases to me, but who act as excellent resources as well. I'm known in at least two different courthouses in my vicinity as the ghost girl...and whenever the records or county clerk's office sees me coming, they're always curious and always willing to give me a hand in research.

Oddly enough...I've never gotten an odd look or anything said to my face, lol. Everyone I've encountered as been supportive and curious. And it always helps to have intelligent, scientific, thought out answers to any questions that will inevitably be thrown at you by people. :wow:

Edited by TheresaRHPS, 24 November 2007 - 05:04 AM.

Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#56 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

I only tell those really close to me. Usually I say I don't believe in gjosts.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users