Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

How open are you about believing in ghosts?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Believing

When it comes to admitting to others that you believe in ghosts/spirits, how quickly do you do it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CourtneyDee

CourtneyDee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:My husband<br />My dogs (puggle and golden retreiver)<br />New cities<br />Sports<br />USMC<br />Paranormal<br />Xray<br />Beach<br />Summer<br />

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

Just something I started thinking about because some people are "secret believers" and I was wondering if anyone here falls into this catagory.
"It didnt feel like the pain had weakend over time, rather that I'd grown strong enough to bear it " RIP Amanda Taylor"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret." Robert E Lee

#2 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

Hi CourtneyDee,

Nice idea for a poll! I chose “I tell only those very close to me.” I know that here on GV, believing in ghosts and other paranormal beings is pretty much a universal belief or, in the very least, an interest for those, here. But, I’ve found that, out there in the general world, there are quite a lot of people who either don’t believe or think it’s “weird.” I’m fortunate to have friends (and, some family) who are very open-minded and have had their own strange experiences, so I feel safe to bring my thoughts up to them. But, I wouldn’t bring my thoughts or experiences up to anyone unless I was very close to them and know they are open-minded or if I knew they were believers, too.

:hug:

Amanda

#3 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hmmm.....none of the options work well for me. I don't tell someone that I've just met (it's not appropriate in the work-setting, and my Renny friends already know). If the subject comes up, though, I readily admit to it, and enjoy talking about it if they're interested. I'll admit I've gotten some wierd reactions. Only 1 co-worker knew before our last office Christmas party, and one of the Dr's was asking what kind of things we did on our computer. Well.....GhostVillage came up, of course, then I told him about the paranormal investigation group I belong to. I think I shocked him into being more quiet than he already is.

It's not something I usually start a conversation with, though.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#4 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

I voted "I tell only those very close to me." That's generally true of my personal, weird experiences. But if the topic of spirituality or paranormal things comes up, I have no problem telling anyone what I do believe in. I just might not give them my personal experiences with the stuff. I give people enough reasons to think I'm crazy as is.

#5 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

Believing in ghosts and sharing my few paranormal experiances it the LAST thing I worry about sharing with people. There are enough other odd things about me, that believing in ghosts is kinda normal.
Nearly everyone at my job knows I'm "into ghosts" and I was actually approached by an indivitudual who wanted to start a paranormal inverstigation group because someone at our work place had told him I was interested in "things like that" (I didn't join because of the other things going on in my life at that time)
I have only ever had two bad reactions. One was a travel employee who simply refused to talk to me after she found out and the other was my brother. I adore my brother but we have diffrent religous philosipys and his does not allow room for ghosts. He tried to explain to me that ghosts were not real it was only the "devil" trying to "fool" me. 9 i don't argue with him, I just keep quiet. We are too much alike and I do not want to spend the rest of our lives arguing about that!)
I very rarely get a bad reaction and in fact most people imediatly start talking about their own experiances. It might have something to do with working in health care, but I've never felt like I couldn't share that with people.
Talking about being "sensitive" and getting premontions on the other hand . . .. I tend to keep that to myself.
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#6 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

None of the options quite fit me, either. I tell only other believers, period, regardless of how well I know them. It isn't worth the trouble otherwise.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#7 NightNGaleX3x

NightNGaleX3x

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Being complicated. Seems to be a talent of mine and I stick to it without conscious thought.

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

If someone asks, I'll tell them. If the subject of the paranormal comes up, I'll comment. A lot of people naturally know that I am a believer/enhthusiast since it's one of my biggest passions.

#8 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

Since I am on the skeptical side, I tend to not take too long to let someone know. Generally, I find that mixing skeptical thoughts in with the thought that there are plenty of instances where natural or mundane explanations don't fit, helps to ease people's ideas of your interest in ghosts and the paranormal.

#9 sensitiveinIn

sensitiveinIn

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:08 AM

Just something I started thinking about because some people are "secret believers" and I was wondering if anyone here falls into this catagory.

WEEELLL, I DID say I'll tell someone after the first few times of meeting them, BUT...I have my husbands family to live with. I mean not in my house, but pretty near by. SSOOOO, it's been 3-4 yrs.since we moved into this amazing place and I was talking to my mother-in-law last wk. when I NATURALLY and CASUALLY said something about the action in the house, at which point she just looked at me with this blank face...That's when I said to her "OH, didn't I tell you about that?" OF COURSE, she said "NO" well, I told her "I'll tell you all about it later" But honestly, I don't think I want to tell her everything...I don't want her to think I'm a "nut" But on the other hand, a total stranger is just that. The chances of you meeting up with them again are pretty slim. So if the subject comes up, I TELL THEM! Besides you might just find an alli that you didn't know was out there. Peace, Linda

Edited by sensitiveinIn, 17 August 2007 - 08:08 AM.

#10 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Like many who've already posted a reply here, I found that none of the options fit me. I don't hide my interests in the paranormal, but unless the subject comes up in normal conversation, I don't mention it. I have a friend who is openly gay, but he doesn't start conversations with "Hey, did you know I'm gay?" He doesn't avoid the subject, or try to hide his homosexuality, but he doesn't feel the need to talk about it either. It's simply who he is. That is how I feel about my sensitivities and interest with and in the paranormal.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#11 sensitiveinIn

sensitiveinIn

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

Like many who've already posted a reply here, I found that none of the options fit me. I don't hide my interests in the paranormal, but unless the subject comes up in normal conversation, I don't mention it. I have a friend who is openly gay, but he doesn't start conversations with "Hey, did you know I'm gay?" He doesn't avoid the subject, or try to hide his homosexuality, but he doesn't feel the need to talk about it either. It's simply who he is. That is how I feel about my sensitivities and interest with and in the paranormal.

Yeah, that's it most of the time!

#12 CourtneyDee

CourtneyDee

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:My husband<br />My dogs (puggle and golden retreiver)<br />New cities<br />Sports<br />USMC<br />Paranormal<br />Xray<br />Beach<br />Summer<br />

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

I am the same way as most here are. I believe and am by no means ashamed of what I believe, however, I am hesitant to tell someone my thoughts on it because of the judgement that could be passed.

Thank you for all that responded to this!!:) I love reading them so, keep them coming!!
"It didnt feel like the pain had weakend over time, rather that I'd grown strong enough to bear it " RIP Amanda Taylor"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret." Robert E Lee

#13 allege

allege

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

I tend to hold back on telling most people until the subject comes up about ghosts and I can gauge how they will respond.
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed. -Edgar Allan Poe

#14 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

I speak openly. I am not afraid of letting people know. I am very open about it. I like for people to know me for who I am. Even my boss, who is the principal of the school where I work, asks me questions now. People who are afraid of the unknown or what they can't see, begin to understand the connections better. If they don't want to talk about it or whatever, I understand, and I let it go.
Its a natural thing and part of our world, why not be open about it.

I've had a few strange looks, but they stay and listen out of their own secret curiosity...lol.

Les
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

Nope, I can't vote either. If the subject comes up for discussion, yes I do share, else who cares!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users