19 replies to this topic

#1 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hello,

I'm completely new to this, and need some help. I just picked up a cell sensor EMF reader, and was wondering if anyone else who uses this make could give me some basic instructions. I'm quite confused as to what setting to put it on for a typical investigation. My main questions are: should I switch it to the high or normal setting on the side; should I use probe attachment, or leave that off (since that seems to switch what the EMF reader detects); and should I be looking at the milligauss or the mW/cm2 reading?

Thanks in advance!
Posted Image

#2 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:25 AM

Ok here are a couple basics. If you use it with out the probe it is nothing more than a RF (radio frequency) detector. That is not what you are looking for. That is why you need the probe. If you plan on walking around and take reading you will want to keep the switch on normal. If you walk around with it on high it will most likely keep going off. If you plan on setting it down in a room you can then switch it to high. Also when using the probe make sure you are grabbing it by the probe and not holding it by the wire. This can sometimes produce false readings. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#3 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:11 AM

Ok here are a couple basics. If you use it with out the probe it is nothing more than a RF (radio frequency) detector. That is not what you are looking for. That is why you need the probe. If you plan on walking around and take reading you will want to keep the switch on normal. If you walk around with it on high it will most likely keep going off. If you plan on setting it down in a room you can then switch it to high. Also when using the probe make sure you are grabbing it by the probe and not holding it by the wire. This can sometimes produce false readings. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks very much, that was very helpful, though I'm still a bit confused. According to the manual, when the high sensitivity setting is switched on, it reads on a scale of 1 to 50 mG...when the normal setting is on, it reads on a scale of 1 to 5 mG. I was doing some reading and saw that readings of 2 and 7 mG are what a lot of people say you should look for. But if the switch is set to "normal" and it detects 7 mG, it seems like that would hardly register on the scale or set off the alarm..am I wrong about that? Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Thanks again!
Posted Image

#4 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

Well it depends on what you are using it for. Are you using it to look for high EMF or are you using to detect paranormal activity? I use my EMF detectors to rule out things that people consider paranormal. I don't use them to go looking for ghosts. That is just how I hunt though. I do know many people who use to detect paranormal activity. I just think that this is too many variables that make that needle jump. But if that is how you intend on using it the reason why they say 2-7mg is becuase usually anything above that is considered a natural source and most def. not paranormal. So if you had it on the high setting and it goes up to 50mg, you are probably picking up something around you. Be it a monitor, electrical box, even simple alarm clocks give off high EMF. A lot of things are poorly shielded. If you still kept it on normal and it reads 1-5mg than as long as the needle isn't pinned (that would mean it is probably higher than 5mg) than it might be something you would want to investigate further. Upon this you can determine whether or not you think it was paranormal or something else. I hope I am explaining this right. lol I would suggest playing around with it. Try it on both settings around your house. Take readings of everyday common electrical applicances and such. See what gives off what. This will give you an idea how far the field is coming out off certain objects. I know when I first got into this I went and tried everything, cables, computers, tvs, smoke detectors. Everything. Knowledge is power right?
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#5 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

OH and I have played with many meters...Doesn't hurt to try right. I currently have A gauss meter, Electrosensor, ELF Zone, Cell Sensor, Tri-Field (Natural EM type), KII, and a digital. Just wanted to let you know the cell sensor isn't the only one I have tried. Whirly Dude

#6 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

Thanks again! Re-reading my last post, I realize I got the high and low settings backwards. The HIGH sensitivity setting gives readings on a scale of 1-5 mG, whereas the NORMAL sensitivity setting gives readings on a scale of 1-50 mG. So if I had it set on the normal setting, a reading of 7 mG would hardly make the needle move, whereas on the high setting a reading of 7 mG would be off the chart.

For instance, I was testing my cellphone and my laptop earlier. On the normal setting, the needle hovered around 1 (indicating 10 mG) when I held it over my laptop keyboard. When I switched it to high sensitivity, the needle jumped past 5 and the alarm went off. This would be much easier to see and hear during an investigation than what happened on the normal setting. So if I was looking for possible paranormal activity OR doing baseline readings, would it make more sense to just use the HIGH setting?

Obviously I'm very new at this, which is why I'm asking these (probably) annoying questions, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible before jumping into anything! Thanks so much again for all your help (and patience)!!
Posted Image

#7 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

Not annoying at all I promise. I don't mind questions. I love equipment questions, especially ones I can answer. lol

Ok this is right out of the equipment manual I have...

The bottom numbers in green are the scale we read. It is marked in milligauss and numbered 1-5. On the right side of the meter there is a switch marked N and H (Normal and High). There is also a volume control knob on the right side for the audible alarm. When the meter is set to the Normal it picks up readings in the 1 to 5 milligauss range. When the meter is set to High the meter picks up readings in the 1 to 50 milligauss range. On the High setting you must add a 0 to the end of each number on the scale (1-5 becomes 10-50).

If I had mine with me at work I could tell you more. I'll def. check it out to try to answer more when I get home.

#8 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hmm that's very strange...I brought the manual to my cellsensor to work with me in an attempt to figure it out, and it claims the exact opposite (that the normal sensitivity setting measures 10-50 mG whereas the high sensitivity measures 1 to 5 mG). It says:

"The meter measures in two different ELF scales. The 'high sensitivity' scale is 1 to 5 milliGauss while the 'normal sensitivity' scale is 1 to 50 milliGauss. The display, however, is only marked with the 'high sensitivity scale'. It's up to you to read the scale as if though it goes from 1 to 50 when in the 'normal sensitivity' mode."

So IF paranormal phenomena are associated with readings of 2 and 7 mG, it sounds like I should use the high sensitivity setting--though of course a reading of 7 would be off the chart...hahaha so confusing.

Thanks again Whirly Dude
Posted Image

#9 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

Well now I can't wait to get home to double check things. The manual I have might be backwards. lol I'll pull out my cell sensor too.

#10 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

Haha, who knows, maybe it's my manual that's backwards! I'll be testing the high and normal settings on my cellsensor around the house tonight...though with the confusion I'm having, I'm starting to wish I had bought a different one!
Posted Image

#11 Richard Kimmel

Richard Kimmel

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

In all, this is very interesting and "electromagnet-O-fying". I can't help but visualize someone strapped with meters bumping around in the dark ...lol.

IMHO, you don't really need a menagerie of meters to possibly inform you of a spirit presence. You can develop and use your own sensitivity. I use mine in conjunction with a pendulum to determine if latent energy is present.

I guess what I'm trying to impart, is that you should keep things simple, that more equipment does not necessarily equate with one obtaining positive results in "ghost hunting" and may, at times, add some confusion.

My simple pendulum is one made of a tiny, blessed, wood cross attached to a piece of cotton string.
A Skeptic Is Simply A Closet Believer

#12 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:12 AM

Thanks very much for the advice, but I'm still interested in testing the possibility of there being a link between EMF and "the paranormal". If anyone else can provide more advice on how to use the Cellsensor reader (that unit in particular) and alleviate the confusion I'm having, I'm all ears (or I guess eyes)!!
Posted Image

#13 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

Thanks very much for the advice, but I'm still interested in testing the possibility of there being a link between EMF and "the paranormal". If anyone else can provide more advice on how to use the Cellsensor reader (that unit in particular) and alleviate the confusion I'm having, I'm all ears (or I guess eyes)!!

Still working on that for you. I didn't get a chance to play last night. I def. didn't forget about you though.

#14 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Still working on that for you. I didn't get a chance to play last night. I def. didn't forget about you though.

thanks, I really appreciate it! :ghost: don't go to too much trouble though!
Posted Image

#15 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

thanks, I really appreciate it! ;) don't go to too much trouble though!

It's no trouble. In fact I will test it this weekend. I have an investigation and its a place I have been to before so I know the perfect spots to test it. :) I'll report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users