• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

I got a little over-excited on Ebay tonight. I found an Olympus VN-3100 and purchased it for about 30 bucks. Unfortunately it was AFTER I won the bid that I discovered the VN-3100PC comes with a USB cable to download audio to your computer. Does anybody know if there is a way to download audio from the VN-3100 (ie can I buy/find a USB cable separately for it?)???

Thanks in advance!
Posted Image

#2 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

I got a little over-excited on Ebay tonight. I found an Olympus VN-3100 and purchased it for about 30 bucks. Unfortunately it was AFTER I won the bid that I discovered the VN-3100PC comes with a USB cable to download audio to your computer. Does anybody know if there is a way to download audio from the VN-3100 (ie can I buy/find a USB cable separately for it?)???

Thanks in advance!

....so, do you know if the USB cable was NOT part of your purchase? .... if not, call Radio Shack or Best Buy.... I think I saw a generic type set=up/replacement kit at one of those two places the last time I was out...

.... you will probably need the software to go along with it...... that is a seperate issue...

Edited by peepers, 21 September 2007 - 08:21 PM.

Yes.... I've gone behind the camera"s"..... as well as recording audio........ Love....Breed peace.....

#3 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks in advance!

....so, do you know if the USB cable was NOT part of your purchase? .... if not, call Radio Shack or Best Buy.... I think I saw a generic type set=up/replacement kit at one of those two places the last time I was out...

.... you will probably need the software to go along with it...... that is a seperate issue...

The USB cable definitely doesn't come with it...nor would the software. All I'm wondering is if this particular recorder CAN be hooked up to a computer to transfer files--ie if it has a USB port on it. If that's the case, then it's not a big deal...I've got lots of USB cables lying around. I'm just afraid it's got no possible means of downloading :blush:
Posted Image

#4 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

OOOoohhhhh.... well then... if that's the brand new price for that model, then chances are, no.... the cheaper recorders do not have the USB ports.... I bought an Olympus DS2 (model with USB port) several years ago and paid ~ $100- .... those without, in my humble opinion, are useless....

....google your model # and see what you can find out....

....you can always sell it ....
Yes.... I've gone behind the camera"s"..... as well as recording audio........ Love....Breed peace.....

#5 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

Ok it doens't have a pc cord then to connect to the usb? If it isn't pc compatible you aren't extremely out of luck. Radioshack or even Walmart has a cord that you can connect from the earphone jack on the recorder to the mic jack on your computer. It's a simple cord. Male on each end. If you have any kind of audio software in the computer you can record directly into the program. The biggest down fall when it isn't usb is how ever long you record is how long it takes to record in your computer. If you would like some better instructions let me know. If it does have a usb though you can also pick up that cord just about anywhere. I'd look around your house first though. The outlet is pretty common. I can use the same cord for my camera, palm, phone, and recorder.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#6 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

Ok it doens't have a pc cord then to connect to the usb? If it isn't pc compatible you aren't extremely out of luck. Radioshack or even Walmart has a cord that you can connect from the earphone jack on the recorder to the mic jack on your computer. It's a simple cord. Male on each end. If you have any kind of audio software in the computer you can record directly into the program. The biggest down fall when it isn't usb is how ever long you record is how long it takes to record in your computer. If you would like some better instructions let me know. If it does have a usb though you can also pick up that cord just about anywhere. I'd look around your house first though. The outlet is pretty common. I can use the same cord for my camera, palm, phone, and recorder.

Once again, thank you very much, DeadTrish!! :blush: That puts my mind to ease. As long as there's some way to transfer the audio to my computer, like using the earphone jack as you suggested, then I'm happy. That'll be just fine while I'm still just getting into paranormal research, and I can always upgrade to something that'll transfer the files faster once I'm more experienced!
Posted Image

#7 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

Yes, I have the cord.... it is an earphone jack cord that I purchased at Radio Shack.... unfortunately, the quality of the sound suffers considerably...... but good luck if you try it.... the upshot is that the cord does not cost but about $10-...... being a musician I do quite a bit of recording and experimentation.... being a student, I work on a tight budget and efficiency saves me in dollars, time and headaches....

Edited by peepers, 21 September 2007 - 09:37 PM.

#8 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

....One other thing.... I've found the mics on the upper level Digital Olympus models to be excellent quality.... I sing classical voice and have to record every lesson, performance, etc. .... Olympus catches a good depth of sound and its overtones, and has very good clarity......

#9 jmander

jmander

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

....One other thing.... I've found the mics on the upper level Digital Olympus models to be excellent quality.... I sing classical voice and have to record every lesson, performance, etc. .... Olympus catches a good depth of sound and its overtones, and has very good clarity......

Good to know--thanks! I'm disappointed with the fact that the sound quality will suffer from downloading audio files through the earphone jack, but hopefully it'll still be a good beginner piece of equipment.
Posted Image

#10 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:07 PM

Good to know--thanks! I'm disappointed with the fact that the sound quality will suffer from downloading audio files through the earphone jack, but hopefully it'll still be a good beginner piece of equipment.

The sound won't be that bad for what you are doing. Just keep the quality on high. It may give you less recording time but it is better quality. You will quickly learn background noises, feet shuffling, and other natural noises. As long as you analyze everything and don't jump to conclusions thinking everything is EVP you will do just fine. :blush:
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users