#1 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 05:19 AM

Ananova:  

Indian city spooked by 'ghost' photo

Police in an Indian city say children have stopped going to school after a local newspaper was duped into publishing a photograph of a 'ghost'.

Article continued at:

http://www.ananova.c.../sm_820471.html
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:48 AM

That's really unfortunate that children stopped going to school!  I can't help but laugh after reviewing the picture, though.  It just looks so fake!  I've actually seen a similar photo of a 'ghostly' girl circulating the internet.
First voice: "Where is he...around here?"Second voice: "He's dead."First voice: "Ah, he could be anywhere then."

#3 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:44 AM

I know that with today's technology that it is possible to produce an image that looks so realistic that it is hard to tell that it is a fake, but, I somehow feel that with this sort of news and publicity, that it takes away from any credible research, EVP's, and photographs.  In a sense, it makes us look "cookier" than what many of us are. LOL
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#4 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:22 AM

I have to agree with you.  This kind of stuff is just BAD!  But unfortunately, you have a lot of it out there. Some of it even produced by not so reputable investigators just for "shock value".

It does a lot to discredit the whole field.

#5 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:28 AM

All very true, but, in the long run, I guess that we can take our comfort in the fact that even legit science has those who are defined as "cookies" working with them/against them to take away some credibility in high-thinking scientific problems.

#6 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:03 PM

All very true, but, in the long run, I guess that we can take our comfort in the fact that even legit science has those who are defined as "cookies" working with them/against them to take away some credibility in high-thinking scientific problems.

Misery loving company?

For whatever it's worth, I don't think this does anything to discredit you; it's obvious to anyone who cares enough to look that this sort of thing isn't representative of the paranormal community.
What Would Batman Do?

#7 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 05:24 PM

Gregory,

I'm glad you don't feel like one crack pot makes us all so, but unfortunatly many do...but then that's like anything in life
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#8 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:04 AM

I totally agree Masq.  It's the "one bad apple" syndrome.  But, didn't many beleive that Einstein's elevator didn't hardly go to the top floor?  Maybe we are all in good company here in the village.

As for the news article, no where does it say specifically that this photo had anything to do with anyone in the paranormal research department, but rather, could have been concocted by anyone with acess to computer design software.  In this case, one bad tomatoe is ruining the barrel of apples, maybe.

#9 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:46 PM

The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking about what my father might've said if I told him I couldn't go back to school because of a ghost. I'm guessing that it would have been along the lines of, "You try and stay home and theres gonna be one MORE ghost to worry about... the ghost of your backside."  :)
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#10 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:23 AM

LOL Mykie....sounds about like what my father would have told me.

The thing that I can't figure out is, why?  I seriously doubt that anything had ever happened there before the photo was published.  But still....you never know.

#11 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 12:50 PM

I know. I would like to know a little bit more about the community itself. Highly religious? Rural? Farm country? You know, the factors that might explain this type of behavior. I wonder if there are still areas in America that could have this type of responce.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#12 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 31 October 2003 - 02:07 AM

oh! this is the news my cousins had told me over phone the other day! hhmmmmmmm! yup, Thiruchy is more or less a rual place, though it is considered a city based on population. Generally the people are laid back, happy with little whatever they have :) But generally ignorant and highly superstitious.

A contrasting place, Bangalore is the only Indian city with International standards, and is considered the Silicon Valley outside US. So, it is easy for when people say a guy from Bangalore has actually witnessed such a thing! lol hmmmm.... media gimmciks >:(
Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:09 PM

OMG!  This photo is so fake!  I bet the expert fakers are probably pretty BAD_WORD off about this [smiley=cwm2.gif]

It is unfortunate that the kids stopped going to school.  I think they probably knew it wasn't real but want a few days or R&R.

#14 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:46 AM

I dunno, for the kids, I can't imagine them being too frightened of the "ghost"  in fact, I would think it would cause an interest.  Maybe not, sometimes I forget that the outside world isn't like us.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#15 saneguy

saneguy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:02 PM

That pic's been around for quite a while now. I first saw it a couple of years back, along with a bunch of others with the same ghost.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users