14 replies to this topic

#1 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:20 AM

http://www.sky.com/s...2955114,00.html

"This ghostly image was caught on CCTV at historic Hampton Court Palace, a home of King Henry VIII, and long reported to be haunted.

The 16th Century palace in south-west London is well known for alleged supernatural activity, but nothing suspicious has been caught on film before."

I'd love to see the actual footage!
First voice: "Where is he...around here?"Second voice: "He's dead."First voice: "Ah, he could be anywhere then."

#2 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:07 AM

Hey Bangin! Good find! The ap is also covering the story, how surprised I was to see this on CNN.com!

http://www.cnn.com/2...t.ap/index.html
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#3 Jhangles

Jhangles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:03 PM

DARN!  I was going to post this, but you beat me to it!  LOL

Awesome articles!

-Jhangles
Killing never solves anything~ But it keeps people out of your hair while you think about what to do...

#4 s._maclennan

s._maclennan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:12 PM

DARN!  I was going to post this, but you beat me to it!  LOL

Awesome articles!

-Jhangles

Same here! Boo! ;D Seriously, it's a great article and seems authentic. The picture is so clear! :o

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 December 2003 - 07:29 PM

good find buddy!
Posted Image

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 08:08 PM

Here's another,

http://story.news.ya...tly_goings_on_2

Great Minds
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 08:57 PM

http://www.hrp.org.u...p?sectID=4&id=4

:)
Posted Image

#8 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:06 AM

This is kind of bothering me. If it was caught on video, then why aren't they showing the video clip vs. one still frame?
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:20 AM

well buddy, if they show the entire footage just like that, who will P A Y? hahaha lolz, it is all about money honey......
Posted Image

#10 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:51 AM

I betcha the AP would pay and pay and pay for something like that!

#11 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 07:28 PM

The AP DID pay. Their article appears on MSN. Here ya go...

Ghostly image at Britain's Hampton Court
Surveillance footage shows spooky figure shutting doors

Hampton Court Palace via AP
A costumed figure stands in a doorway at Hampton Court Palace in southwest London in this image caught on closed circuit television and released by the Palace Friday.  
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:03 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2003LONDON - Are there ghostly goings-on at Henry VIII’s palace, or is that hazy image of a fellow in fancy robes just a bit of Christmas cheer?

advertisement

Closed-circuit security cameras at Hampton Court Palace, the huge Tudor castle outside London, seem to have snagged an ethereal visitor. Could it be a ghost?

“We’re baffled too — it’s not a joke, we haven’t manufactured it,” said Vikki Wood, a Hampton Court spokeswoman, when asked if the photo the palace released was a Christmas hoax. “We genuinely don’t know who it is or what it is.”

Wood said security guards had seen the figure in closed-circuit television footage after checking it to see who kept leaving open one of the palace’s fire doors.

In the still photograph, the figure of a man in a robelike garment is shown stepping from the shadowy doorway, one arm reaching out for the door handle.

The area around the man is somewhat blurred, and his face appears unnaturally white compared with his outstretched hand.

“It was incredibly spooky because the face just didn’t look human,” said James Faukes, one of the palace security guards.

“My first reaction was that someone was having a laugh, so I asked my colleagues to take a look. We spoke to our costumed guides, but they don’t own a costume like that worn by the figure. It is actually quite unnerving,” Faukes said.

Popular tourist attraction
The palace, built in 1525 on the River Thames 10 miles west of central London, is a popular tourist attraction and some of the guides wear costumes of the Tudor period.

Wood said she was hoping people would come forward with similar stories and try to explain the figure.

The palace has been the scene of many dramatic royal events, and already is supposed to have a few ghosts.

King Henry VIII’s third wife, Jane Seymour, died there giving birth to a son, and her ghost is said to walk through one of the cobbled courtyards carrying a candle.

Her son, Edward, had a nurse called Sibell Penn who was buried in the palace grounds in 1562. In 1829 her tomb was disturbed by building work, and around the same time an odd whirring noise began to be heard in the southwest wing of the palace. When workmen traced the strange sounds to a brick wall, they uncovered a small forgotten room containing an old spinning wheel, just like the one Penn used to use.

Henry’s fifth wife, Catherine Howard, condemned for adultery, was held at the palace under house arrest before her execution at the Tower of London. An 1897 book about the palace says she was reportedly seen, dressed in white and floating down one of the galleries uttering unearthly shrieks.

The palace was once a prison for King Charles I, who later was beheaded, and then home to his nemesis Oliver Cromwell, who briefly ruled when Britain was for a short time a republic.

© 2003 The Associated Press.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#12 SpectralSpy

SpectralSpy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 07:09 PM

Hopefully this holds up to scrutiny and there is no hoaxing involved.If so,it would be one of the greatest captures ever documented.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and science.He to whom this emotion is a stranger,who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead-His eyes are closed."Albert Einstein

#13 UnkleBunny

UnkleBunny

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 11:52 PM

I found several British sites, that did a more detailed eport on it, giving several details, that AP failed to mention, most notably, it seems this isn't the first time it's been seen, onlt the first time caught on tape.

#14 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:05 PM

Hey Bunny,

The clothing definately corisponds more with Charles and Cromwell then with the Tudors.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#15 UnkleBunny

UnkleBunny

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:42 PM

the more I've looked into it myself, the more I'm tending to agree... that it's not associated with the Tudors.. (if it's real..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users