5 replies to this topic

#1 Demon_Speeding

Demon_Speeding

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:19 PM

The 'haunted' pub is next to a disused graveyard
A pub landlord has taken out insurance against ghosts following fears the resident poltergeist could hurt customers.
Terry Meggs, of the Royal Falcon Hotel, in Lowestoft, Suffolk, decided he needed the cover after claiming he saw the ghost shoot glasses along the bar one night.
For a premium of 500 a year the policy will pay out up to 1m if staff or customers are killed or suffer permanent disability caused by ghosts, poltergeists or other abnormal phenomena on the premises.
The 500-year-old building, which is next to a disused graveyard, is one of the oldest in Lowestoft and was formerly Eastholme Girls School. It is allegedly haunted by a monk who hanged himself after being caught having an affair with one of the pupils or teachers.
Mr Meggs said: "Locals know this place has always been haunted. I never believed in ghosts before I came here.
"I saw glasses move across the bar one night and thought what happens if it does something to hurt somebody."
Mr Meggs said that they are currently in the process of renovating the building.
He is particularly worried guests staying in room 10, which is where the monk is supposed to have killed himself, might be hurt by it.
The policy has been taken out with insurers Ultraviolet, which offers cover for a range of paranormal activity.
But the policy does state that "claims arising from liquid spirits are specifically excluded".
Ultraviolet's chief underwriting officer, Simon Burgess, said: "There has been paranormal activity there, and we will treat any claims very seriously, and carry out our normal psychic investigation."
The group has met claims in the past. Several years ago it paid out 100,000 on its Spooksafe policy after investigators looking into the death of a woman who had been thrown over the bannisters at her home in the US concluded that a ghost was responsible for the crime.
Copied from the bbc news site.

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:38 PM

Demon Speeding,

Welcome and thanks for the info, can you please include the link too though so we can give credit where credit is due as the information on the BBC's site will change.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 s._maclennan

s._maclennan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

It seems to me that he's taking a big chance with this. I think he's going to be having some very big problems with scam artists in the future. I think it would be a very hard thing to argue about in a court of law-how do you prove or disprove the presence of a ghost? There's going to be loads of fakers lined up to get a piece of the pie.

#4 Demon_Speeding

Demon_Speeding

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:01 PM

thanks for the welcome masquarade. Yeah ill be happy to give the link to where i had the story from it's , http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1913960.stm

#5 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 04:54 PM

Thanks
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#6 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:48 AM

Yep, I think he's asking for trouble!!
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users