Yawning

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:politics, rollerskating (competed nationally but dying sport,) snorkeling, hockey (Go Bruins,) ghosts/paranormal (surprised?), academia, reading (love the classics,) religion...occasionally couch potato moments in front of the tube, eating, sleeping, family, geneaology (sp?), history........

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

I was listening to NPR the other night on the drive home...occasionally when I'm sick of listening to Justin Timberlake on the radio for the million'th time, whatever CD lies in the car or, what I call, stress reliever music (movie soundtracks, new age, george winston, damian rice,) I listen to NPR. Well, they were discussing a study on yawning. (Yawning can you image people donate to this programming.) Any ways it sparked my curiousity.

What the heck is a yawn any ways?

If you see people yawn, you tend to yawn. I once had a dog that if you yawned in front of the dog, the dog would yawn. (it was quite funny seeing the dog yawn like 30 times. Stupid dog.) If people talk about yawning, you tend to yawn. I bet you're yawning right now reading this rambling 1 am deep thought. Nevertheless, what exactly is a yawn? Some say we yawn when we're tired but if so, why? Does it make you feel less tired? (I wish but not really.)

Yawning isn't attractive either. You know what I mean, do you recall the person who yawned and you could see the entire mouth, back of throat, dribbling spit and he/she's face was stretched and contorted in a oblongated, horizonital (sp?) shape that looked like an airplane just flew in? Not pretty.

Is a yawn an involuntary stretch or a secret mating call to the unkown species in our backyard? Or is it an unknown phenomenon? And who thought up the word yawn? Did the word come from the sound most people make when they yawn?

If anyone has an answer as to what a yawn is and why we do it...my eyes are all open, unlike my mouth because I'm not yawning. Are you?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

You're funny. And I didn't yawn once.

I think the yawn in an involuntary attempt by the body to take in extra air. I vaguely remember learning that in biology class. Maybe when we're tired or bored our breathing becomes slower, so yawning adds a greater amount of oxygen into the lungs which then disperses oxegenated blood cells through the system to brain?

That sounds good. Now I'm gonna go look it up on Ask.com.

Kira

Ok, this is what I found on http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076713/ (it's kind of old)

Little mystery: Why do we yawn?

Updated: 8:32 a.m. ET Oct 15, 1998
Why do we yawn? Dr. Barry Make, a pulmonologist at National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver, says the answer is not because we are tired or bored ó although thatís the common perception. Read on for his explanation.

The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low.

THE TRUTH IS that we donít completely understand why people, or animals for that matter, yawn. Itís widely assumed that yawning occurs because we are tired or bored or because we see someone else doing it, but there isnít any hard evidence to support these beliefs.

The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low. Studies have shown that during normal, at-rest breathing, we donít use anywhere near our lung capacity; for the most part, we just use the air sacs at the bottom of the lungs. If the air sacs, called alveoli, donít get fresh air, they partially collapse and the lungs stiffen a bit. As a result, itís believed, our brain prompts the body to either sigh or take a yawn to get more air into the lungs.

But certain aspects of yawning remain even more mysterious. Fetuses, for instances, have been observed yawning in the womb, yet itís known that they donít take oxygen in through their lungs. And yawning seems to be a symptom of multiple sclerosis and other medical conditions, for reasons unclear.

Another puzzling phenomenon is that some male animals, men included, yawn in association with penile erection (although itís presumptuous to assume theyíre bored with their sex lives).

Edited by Kira, 11 October 2007 - 06:07 PM.

The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:politics, rollerskating (competed nationally but dying sport,) snorkeling, hockey (Go Bruins,) ghosts/paranormal (surprised?), academia, reading (love the classics,) religion...occasionally couch potato moments in front of the tube, eating, sleeping, family, geneaology (sp?), history........

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

You're funny. And I didn't yawn once.

I think the yawn in an involuntary attempt by the body to take in extra air. I vaguely remember learning that in biology class. Maybe when we're tired or bored our breathing becomes slower, so yawning adds a greater amount of oxygen into the lungs which then disperses oxegenated blood cells through the system to brain?

That sounds good. Now I'm gonna go look it up on Ask.com.

Kira

Ok, this is what I found on http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076713/ (it's kind of old)

Little mystery: Why do we yawn?

Updated: 8:32 a.m. ET Oct 15, 1998
Why do we yawn? Dr. Barry Make, a pulmonologist at National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver, says the answer is not because we are tired or bored ó although thatís the common perception. Read on for his explanation.

The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low.

THE TRUTH IS that we donít completely understand why people, or animals for that matter, yawn. Itís widely assumed that yawning occurs because we are tired or bored or because we see someone else doing it, but there isnít any hard evidence to support these beliefs.

The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low. Studies have shown that during normal, at-rest breathing, we donít use anywhere near our lung capacity; for the most part, we just use the air sacs at the bottom of the lungs. If the air sacs, called alveoli, donít get fresh air, they partially collapse and the lungs stiffen a bit. As a result, itís believed, our brain prompts the body to either sigh or take a yawn to get more air into the lungs.

But certain aspects of yawning remain even more mysterious. Fetuses, for instances, have been observed yawning in the womb, yet itís known that they donít take oxygen in through their lungs. And yawning seems to be a symptom of multiple sclerosis and other medical conditions, for reasons unclear.

Another puzzling phenomenon is that some male animals, men included, yawn in association with penile erection (although itís presumptuous to assume theyíre bored with their sex lives).

Wow....you totally answered that question for me. Still makes you wonder...especially why fetuses yawn in the womb. Fetuses yawn like its some involuntary muscle spasm, gulping down anominatic fluid (YUCK!) Maybe a yawn really is a human glitch in our biological makeup. Like I said before, a yawn is not pretty. When you yawn, you feel better after your face was stretched out like the plastic man...(okay, my perception only.) Also, interesting that a yawn might be a symptom for certain medical conditions....which makes you wonder (being on ghostvillage) how medical conditions can affect our energy levels...Any reiki masters out there?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 warlock

warlock

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:anything weird

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

when the human body gets tired an increase in
oxygen can envigorate you slightly that is the reason for a yawn yes it is to take in oxygen but not because the air supply is low but to promote wakefulness.
If you can'T see it, It does not mean it is not there!!!!!

#5 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:34 PM

I was going to say what Kira did... I know that a symptom of pre syncope (before you pass out) is excessive yawning to try to bring up your O2 levels. I yawn all the time and it drives my mom crazy... She always says something smart allacky like "You tryin' to catch flys?" Moms....
Love life.

#6 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

I was going to say what Kira did... I know that a symptom of pre syncope (before you pass out) is excessive yawning to try to bring up your O2 levels. I yawn all the time and it drives my mom crazy... She always says something smart allacky like "You tryin' to catch flys?" Moms....

Don't cha just hate it when people say things like that? My grandfather used to say it to me all the time when I was a kid...as if it was original each time he said it.....UGH!!!!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

when the human body gets tired an increase in
oxygen can envigorate you slightly that is the reason for a yawn yes it is to take in oxygen but not because the air supply is low but to promote wakefulness.

To promote wakefulness, really???? Does anybody ever feel wide awake after yawning?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

Can I just say that I think its so interesting that I post a most contemplative piece (so I think) in some of these forums and I get no response from anyone...no feedback but I post this topic about yawning and its sparks peoples' interest....

I think I'll post next about whether or not heinz ketchup really encourages anticipation or better yet, is repeated blinking really an indicator of a person lying? Hmmmm.....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

I think I'll post next about whether or not heinz ketchup really encourages anticipation

anticipation... aticipaaation, is making me wait.
And no, heinz ketchup does not encourage antcipation because that stuff is VILE and is the cause of all the world's problems (that and mayonaise... ICK!)
Love life.

#10 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

I think I'll post next about whether or not heinz ketchup really encourages anticipation

anticipation... aticipaaation, is making me wait.
And no, heinz ketchup does not encourage antcipation because that stuff is VILE and is the cause of all the world's problems (that and mayonaise... ICK!)

:whee: You are too funny!!!!!!! But really aaaallllll the world's problems? Did you have nightmares after seeing Attack of the Killer Tomatoes? jk
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

In regard to your question about Reiki Masters..........there's at least 3 that I'm aware of; Earth Spirit, Mystic Hippy (who, bless him, also has the dubious honor of being my husband) and me and yes, medical conditions have a direct effect on energy level.

#12 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

In regard to your question about Reiki Masters..........there's at least 3 that I'm aware of; Earth Spirit, Mystic Hippy (who, bless him, also has the dubious honor of being my husband) and me and yes, medical conditions have a direct effect on energy level.

#13 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

Thank you for answering my question...you know, I have been trying to find a Reiki School or educational program out in my neck of the woods for ages. The thing of it is...is that I want to enter into training with someone who is good and can really train me right. The only drawback is that I have no one to guide me in this search. If you can give me any guidance or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I very much want to learn...I've wanted to learn ever since I used to take Tai Chi years ago...I welcome any advice you can provide.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 seattle

seattle

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

One quick question, Frither, are you familiar with the author Kayrn Mitchell? She is a reiki practicioner who has written a lot of books. My question is...well, if you are familiar with her, do you think her books are worth taking note? If not, or in general, can you suggest any good books to read on Reiki?
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users