Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Police call in Ghost hunters to thier station...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SpectralSpy

SpectralSpy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 02:28 PM

SHELBYVILLE,KY.,Sept 4th-Associated Press

-IN THE STILL of night, doors rattled and stairwells creaked in the city’s police department. In the light of day, a secretary’s desk drawer opened on its own. A city worker who toured the building late one night even reported feeling something grab her leg.
      So the police took the probe to another dimension.
      “The way I treat it is not that there is a ghost, there’s just things that I can’t explain,” said Officer John Wilson, who contacted the Scientific Investigative Ghost Hunting Team, based in Louisville.
      The team of professional paranormal investigators gave the brick building a preliminary review and will return this fall for a thorough probe. The group will set up cameras and tape recorders as well as infrared thermometers to capture any temperature variations.
      The goal is to try to prove the strange occurrences aren’t caused by paranormal forces, said Kay Owen, vice president of the nonprofit ghosting hunting team, which doesn’t charge for its services.
      “We’ll go in and try to re-create everything that they are experiencing,” she said. “If they can re-create it, it’s not paranormal. It can be explained. It’s a process of elimination.”
      The team already determined the doors are hung properly on hinges.

19TH-CENTURY STRUCTURE
      In the spring, police in this town, about 20 miles east of Louisville, moved into the brick building, part of which was renovated and dates back to the 19th century. The rest of the headquarters was built new.
      Wilson, a regular on the night shift, said Wednesday he started noticing unexplainable events soon after the headquarters opened.  

One night, he was stuffing paperwork into a mail slot when he noticed a door to his left jiggling. “It was like someone was trying to get in but didn’t have the key,” Wilson said.
      Wilson checked and no one was on the other side of the door.
      The following nights, Wilson and other officers heard knocking on doors and walls. Sometimes, doors opened and closed on their own. Quick checks turned up no one responsible, he said. Other nights, officers heard what seemed to be footsteps on the stairs, but again no one was there, he said.
      Once, officers and members of the ghost hunting team came across what seemed to be a strange column of heat in an upstairs hallway, Wilson said. He starting sweating in one part of the hallway where it was extremely hot, he said. A few steps away it turned cool, he said.
      “We can’t explain that. It’s still under investigation,” Owen said.
               Wilson said a half-dozen officers have seen or heard strange things at the headquarters. He said they aren’t jumping to any conclusions.
      “Nobody’s seen a big, shadowy figure walking around or anything like that,” Wilson said. “It’s just lots of little things that make you scratch your head and wonder what’s going on.
      “I’m not making it out to be like ‘Poltergeist.’”
      Police Chief Stewart Shirley said his officers haven’t been unnerved by the occurrences.
      “When something happens, I think they kind of look at each other and their eyes open wide, they grin and say, ‘Let’s go see what this is,’” Shirley said. “And they kind of walk through and check things out and laugh about it and move on.”
      Shirley said he has seen the desk drawer open on its own at an administrative assistant’s desk. Shirley said he has not seen any other strange occurrences but
      believes the accounts of Wilson and the others.  
          “So I’m just kind of leaving it up in the air right now,” Shirley said.
      Wendy Rutledge, a deputy city clerk, said once while touring the headquarters at night she felt something grab her right calf.
      “It was warm at first and then after that it tingled,” she said. “It was a strange sensation.”
      Rutledge placed a teddy bear on the second floor of the headquarters after she saw what she believed was the face of a young child.
      Wilson, meanwhile, said he thinks the strange occurrences can be explained, which he hopes the ghost hunters will do. “Because the fear of the unknown is probably one of the biggest fears that humans have,” Wilson said.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and science.He to whom this emotion is a stranger,who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead-His eyes are closed."Albert Einstein

#2 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:19 AM

I have heard of this story.  It has ran on the Lexington, KY television stations.  The last I had heard on it though, was that the investigation team had determined that part of the problem was explainable.  They had said that the locking mechanism on one of the filing cabinets that had been coming open wasn't working correctly, coupled with the fact that the floor was unlevel at that location.

You know though, it is an interesting fact that AP picked up on a story like this that comes from Kentucky of all places.

Anyway, since I live in KY, I will try to keep informed on anything new and pass it along to you guys.
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#3 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:50 AM

I believe that Good Morning America did a story on this on Friday morning.  I felt that it had more of a tone of poking fun at everyone than that they were taking it seriously.

#4 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 04:22 PM

The only reporter I've ever seen take the paranormal seriously is... oddly enough... Regis Philbin. When he was younger and working in San Diego, Ca. He spent a night at the Whaley House with an investigative team. He still blanches when asked about it. I guess we will always be a subject of ridicule untill it is experienced first hand.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#5 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 03:54 AM

You are absolutely correct.  Good Morning America did in fact run with this story.  And you are correct at poking fun.  But, this time, they had an additional factor beyond just the whole paranormal thing.  This time, they were in Kentucky.  LOL  We have an image that we would absolutely love to get rid of, but, alas, we are stuck with.

But, from what I can gather, while the investigation team has found some explainations for some of the events, they are still puzzled over several of them.  Now this part I'm unsure of, but I heard one person say that that the teddy bear was left after a lady saw the face of a young boy (which is clearly in the above article) but the difference here was, that she heard the boys voice say something like "play" or something.  But, I'm not positive on that.
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 10:14 AM

Hey TKE,

In the Haunted Locatin thread this is being discussed. You might want to drop by there and post on how to approach the locals. If I lived there I'd be a little hesitant around strangers now after having been poked fun at, but thats me.  ;D
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#7 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 10:36 AM

Mykie--- thanks for the head's up there.  I'll check it out.

#8 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 03:17 PM

I watched it on GMA also. I was shocked to fine out that it's Diane Sawers neck of the woods. I had friends calling me at work, to give me a heads up to put the TV on so I would get to see it. I think the sheriff was pretty brave for going on nation wide TV and saying something strange is going on there. All 3 Lexington news ch. aired it the night before GMA aired it. I would like to hear a update on what the investigators found.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users