Religion Vs Medicine

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:17 AM

Wasn't there a case in Canada (I think BC?) where one parent was of a faith that didn't allow transfusions and transplants and the like and the other parent did not...and the daughter needed one or the other and it all ended up in court?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#32 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:25 AM

Oh no in my opinion if a child is laying in the middle of the street bleeding to death and his/her guardian tells the paramedics not to help the child and just leave it to GOD. I will think that she is a nut case. Basically she made the decision for her child to die. If that's what her child wanted then it's ok but if her child didn't even decide on her fate the mother was wrong simple as that.

As far as the person in the river that was a decision that HE decided. I have always believed that everything that happens in life was supposed to happen. Any decisions that are made about ones life should be respected in vain. I don't think that it was fair for the mother to push her beliefs before her child. I have a son and I will be damned not to save his life religion or not.
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#33 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:29 AM

I agree with the blood transfusion in a life or death situation even if there is a risk that you might catch something. †They can always find a cure for blood transmitted diseases. †That cure won't do you much good if you are 6 ft under.

Does anybody know off hand what happens in the interim while the government decides what to do?

And as for adults that refuse treatment, do they have to undergo any kind of evaluation to see if they are mentally competent to make this choice?

Does anybody know what happens to the individual when the government steps in?  Does the church punish the parent / individual?
Posted Image

#34 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:49 AM

Good question...

#35 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:37 AM

...and answers I am sure will all be way too confusing! Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:42 AM

There was a news report on Channel 4 last night about the healing power of faith and prayer vs. modern medicine, which I just thought was funny because there ALWAYS seems to be a news report about a post on this board! lol. It seems more and more people are turning to prayer over medical treatment, and it's not necessarily religion- specific. Meaning, not all of these people are JW's or Scientologists, for example.

I do think there IS something to be said for prayer and faith healing, but like Vampchick... I'm of the opinion that one should not supercede the other.

And I'm sure there are SOME cases when an adult was given psychiatric evaluations based on a refusl to receive medical treatment. I don't think it's often, but I'm pretty sure i've heard of a case or two here and there.

Now I'm gonna have to go find cases that show what happens when the government or Child Protective Services or something steps in to this kind of situation. I'll let you know what I find.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#37 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:06 AM

Yes, you can make the decision you want for your child because your child chose you to be the parent.  Every one of us has chosen our parents.  And most of you seem to be of the opinion that death is the worst thing that can happen.  Well, as most people think that way, i can't argue with that, but I don't think that way.  but the important thing is that you must not judge another person for the decision s/he has made.  You should judge (and you will do that at the time of your passing) only your own actions.  You have no way of knowing what another has done is a mistake or not.
petunia4998

#38 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

I wish I could recall the details of the case that happened here in Canada...but I can barely remember enough to do a search on it!  Any fellow Canucks recall it?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#39 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:20 AM

Personally, I think it's just NOT right to refuse avaliable medical treatment to an ill child because you think your prayers are all that child needs to get well.  I'm not saying death is the worst thing that can happen to a person, I'm saying, MORALLY, can you HONESTLY sit and pray and deny medical treatment to a child under your care (as a parent or guardian) when you KNOW that there is a medical treatment/procedure that can make that child better so that they can go forth and live their lives?

Honestly?  Put yourself in that very situation.  I don't have children yet, but I know I would move mountains and go into lifelong debt to ensure the health and well being of any child of mine.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#40 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:21 AM

Well said Vampchick and I highly agree. I have a son and like I said before I would be damned!

#41 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:29 AM

Again, how can we know God. How can we know that God doesn't supply us with the necessary medical facilities and treatments and that is how He/she/it expects us to have faith... by seeking these treatments out.

Personally, it kind of saddens me to picture some woman with cancer laying in bed, praying to God to heal her, and having faith. And then she dies. Okay, so death isn't the worst thing that can happen. I get that. But at the same time, there are lessons to learn in each life, and without the opportunity to fully LIVE it, those lessons mean nothing, and we're just doomed to repeat them. I just think it's a wasted life to allow death to take you when you don't have to go. God provides people with medical knowledge for these specific situations... take advantage of it, is my opinion.

Then I hear people say "It was God's will" when someone dies. No it's not! God didn't kill that person. They either died naturally, or unaturally, but I don't think God had much to do with it at all.

Okay, I'll shut up now. I'm not really relaying my thoughts clearly and I'm only getting frustrated. lol. I'm sure I'll be back.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#42 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:30 AM

I guess we subconsciously all pass judgement on each other.  There are those of us who approve /disapprove of people who choose only the power of prayer to heal... as I am sure that the people who choose only prayer, judge those that use medicine.  

As for death being the worst thing that can happen, I don't believe it is the worst thing that can happen to an individual.  In fact, sometimes it is an escape from the worst that can happen.  However, I personally think it is the worst thing that can "happen" to those left behind to mourn.
Posted Image

#43 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:39 AM

I believe that the two would work well hand in hand.  Medicine to heal the body, faith to heal the mind.  It has been proven medically that people with a positive outlook recover faster.  If it is their faith in a Supreme Being that gives them that positive outlook.. so be it, the end result is the same.

There is no right or wrong answer to this problem.  Nobody knows what God wants or doesn't want, we are all speculating and using our beliefs, which I think is great.  

I like the train of thought that God gave us the wisdom and knowledge to better ourselves.  By doing so, medicine is included in that.  But this brings about another problem... how can God give us wisdom to heal ourselves, and yet when we die by refusing to use that medical help, it is God's will?
Posted Image

#44 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:42 AM

I understand that people have their beliefs. But when it comes to children who are sick, bleeding to death, etc. It is for them to decide their fate not the parent. It sickens me to think that a woman saw her child in pain and instead of seeking medical attention she left it up to GOD. To me that's not right and it's selfish. If GOD wanted him/her dead at that particular moment so be it but if you knew there was a chance to save someone's life, why not.

People live and die by Godís schedule not what they feel is right. I personally would never and I mean never would let my child suffer for my beliefs. If he is sick or is injured I will pay everything and do anything to save his life.

#45 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:47 AM

it is all way too complicated! do we ever listen to our rational thoughts without tying them with the sympathetic reasoning?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users