it is all relative!
Posted Image

#62 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:10 AM

Let me tell you something. Religion beliefs or not it does not say in the bible that your religion is to come first before your children. The parent was wrong for denying medical care for her child simply for religion.

Hunny
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#63 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:33 PM

If the bible doesn't say it ( and I have no idea if it does or not ) where do they get the idea that faith is stronger than medicine?  

I agree with you Hunny.  I think it is wrong to, by the standards that I live by.  But there must be something that causes these people to make these decisions.  
Posted Image

#64 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:57 PM

You’re right Justa, there has to be something. Something that means more to them, then there very own children.

Hunny

#65 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:37 PM

I agree with both of you too.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#66 ApparitionSeeker

ApparitionSeeker

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Film, Writing, Acting, Theatre, Ghost Seeking, Alamo History, Rock 'n' Roll, Spirituality, Cults

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:39 PM

MY THOUGHTS: Medicine and Religion used to be 'one'. So to mee, even though we don't use religion in our meds today, alot of them WERE used in relation with religion!

NEXT WEEK:
We will talk about politics and church!
PEACE OUT!

#67 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:37 AM

NEXT WEEK:
We will talk about politics and church!
PEACE OUT!

:)

Already a thread for that, started by anasuya called "Separation of church and State"  

Feel free to take a look at it and put your comments and thoughts there.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#68 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:10 AM

Here is an interesting news article.

http://www.religionn...dical_Care.html
Posted Image

#69 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Justa!

That's good news. You don't need permission from someone who is trying to say your life or better yet, help.

Hunny

#70 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:16 PM

Dead girl's dad sues Jehovah's Witnesses

http://www.thestar.c...ol=968705899037

"BY BILL GRAVELAND
CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY — A Calgary man suing the Jehovah's Witnesses, claiming they contributed to his daughter's death by encouraging her to avoid life-saving blood transfusions, said today his lawsuit is for her and for his family.

"The Jehovah's Witness church stole away my family, friends and 20 years of my life," Lawrence Hughes said outside Calgary's Court of Queen's Bench, where he filed the lawsuit. "I paid a high price to give my daughter a chance to live.

"This lawsuit is for Bethany and if Bethany's listening, I want her to know I love her," he added as he choked back tears."

Continued at link.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#71 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:30 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Bible says (and don't ask where- I'd have to re-read it page by page to find it) "There shall be no other before Me" ? If this is the case, then God (and faith in God) would indeed come before your children, mother, husband, sister, etc. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that could be where this started from.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#72 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

Ana,

I believe you're refering to the first of the Ten Commandments (found in Exodus 20):

I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

However, there is a New Testament scripture wherein Jesus says that if anyone loves his family more, then s/he is not worthy of the kingdom of God (I gotta look up the reference and exact wording).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#73 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

Working in a hosptial, I get too see both sides of the spectrum.  I see people refuse medical treatment because of religious beliefs and I have seen people do things to every extrememe to try and save someone at whatever cost.  Even a vegetative exsistence.  The one thing I would really suggest for everyone to look into is a living will or advanced directive.  That way your wishes will be respected.  

Example. . . I would never want a feeding tube placed if all it was doing was prolonging a painful exsistence with no chance of survival. I believe in quality not necessarily quantity.  My family knows this.  On the other hand, if I was in a horrible car wreck next week that sliced by neck and I survived with a near complete recovery, but needed a feeding tube, then by all means do it!!

I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone should talk to their family and let them know exactly how you feel you would like your health care provided in the case that you are unable to make those decisions.

Sorry for the soapbox, but this situation arose at work today.  Although I did not agree with the way it was approached by the family, I had to carry out their wishes.  Even though I thought it was causing more pain for the patient herself who will never recover from her disease.  All they have really done is bought a couple of monthes for someone who doesn't even know who she is or where she is.  She can't move on her own and she can't speak.  It is a really sad situation.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#74 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:10 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Bible says (and don't ask where- I'd have to re-read it page by page to find it) "There shall be no other before Me" ? If this is the case, then God (and faith in God) would indeed come before your children, mother, husband, sister, etc. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that could be where this started from.

Ana

that is right Ana, put God before. God is within everything, God is the core of things, son or mom or wife or lover or enemy, everyone and everything have the essence within. Once you see God within everything, it is easy.
remember St.Francis of Assisi?
Posted Image

#75 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:44 PM

I knew (sort of) a man who had a disease and was taking medicine but then he stopped taking his medicine and started taking Chinese herbs. He started getting worse and tried to switch back to his medicine, but it was too late. I think you should know when to get medical attention...doctors aren't here for no reason...
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users