1 reply to this topic

#1 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

Ok, my father is reading a book about our area (buchan)and as I walked into the kitchen he asked me if I knew of this particular set of standing stones as it was near a freind of mines... he the proceeded to read the passage about standing stones that was written in the book.  The Reverend Pratt (author) first of all made mention to the fact that the circles weren't druidic, but of Sweedish origin, and came over here with the Vikings.  Then he mentioned another theory that said the stone circles had been adopted by the druids but had been erected by the bhudists, their practices having made it over to the "west" in a time without written record...

I was wondering if any of you had come across this notion before- the book was written in the very early nineteen hundreds, and the author, Reverend Pratt has written a book on druidism apparently... I don't know if any of the theories he's mentioned have been varified or disproved...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:35 PM

I've not heard the Buhdist theory before, but to be honest, it really doesn't surprise me.  There were all kinds of weird or interesting or just plain right-out-of-left-field theories that were put forth in the 19th century regarding everything from standing stone circles to Native North American mounds to the Egyptian pyramids.

I believe in the case of Stonehenge, there were a number of tests and archeological finds that scientifically date that particular henge to England's Bronze Age (pre-Druid, pre-Celtic tribes), if I'm recalling that just right.

Actually, I quite enjoy reading the theories that were put forth and published in one form or another in the 19th century.  Right now, I'm reading a few things about a group of 19th Century British, mainly aristocrates, whom were convinced that in order to bring on the Second Coming, they had to convert the Jews of the World to the Anglican Church, then settle the newly Anglican Jews in Palestine.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users