Explanation for Orbs?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

First I want to qualify my statements prior to posting this because I don't want people upset. These comments are based upon my nearly a dozen years experience in this field and nothing more. I have learned the following over these years but each person has to take it for what it is worth.

I agree with Axeman that 97% of the orbs you see on the internet are mundane things such as rain, dust, etc. The percentage may even be higher than this. The main reason? Digital cameras of course. I don't even consider any orb captured on a digital camera in any way. So, if it isn't captured on film, don't even bother, digital cameras highlight everything in the air very well and even create orbs in photos. Keep in mind that a digital photograph is a software interpretation of what is in front of the camera and NOT a true capture like it is on a film camera. Even the highest end digital camera will drop pixels and create orbs. This is due to it being an interpretation and not a true capture.

Recently I was lecturing in Chicago at a Ghost Conference and part of this was a tour in the city of haunted locations. This night it decided to rain. There were actually people with digital cameras thrilled that they were able to capture orbs consistently during this tour. They were nothing but rain drops but since they knew no more about paranormal investigation, they were clouding the opinions of people that didn't know any better. This is what heppens on the internet. People that know nothing about investigation and the proper perameters of conducting one are putting these types of photos on the internet and calling them ghosts which is causing an issue for the real investigators that are trying to prove their theories and make progress in the field.

Now, if you are using film and capture orbs, common sense takes over. Are you in a very dusty location? Are you outside in the rain or snow? Did you move through a field of tall grass, turn around and snap a photo? These are all examples of things that happen to stir up the mundane things that cause orbs. We all have to conduct a real investigastion at a location before anything can be considered as evidence of the paranormal. We must be actually focused on investigating and not just running around for thrills snapping a thousand photos on the new digi cam and calling everything a ghost. We must note our surroundings and use common sense. We must also be able to account for everyone in the area at all times without waiver. We must secure the area that we are investigating in order to keep people out of the areas that we are investigating unless they are a guest, homeowner, staff person, etc. that stays with an investigator at all times.

Now, considering that we are using film on a proper investigation and we caspture an orb, is it real or mundane? It has been my experience that real orbs are three dimensional, moving most of the time but not always, bright and solid. I still don't lend as much creedence to still photograph captures as I do video tape. Video is the best way to capture and again, tape not digital due to the whole real capture vs interpretation thing again.

I do know that orbs are a low level manifestation of ghosts. I wasn't sure of this until we captured the orb that manifests into a shadow ghost on video tape at a distance that is way beyond the I/R emitter on the camera. This was my proof that orbs are related to ghosts but I hope that everyone will keep in mind that just because a place is haunted, the evidence that you are looking at most certainly may not be a capture of that ghost or ghosts. Every piece of evideence that ANYONE posts on the internet must stand up to the most strict scrutiny and be able to be looked at by anyone and not be debunked. It is difficult but that is what makes good paranormal evidence.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

explanation for orbs?....I have none, and nothing to prove. No photos, no research, just 2 experiences. Every time I see anything about orbs I look in because of these 2 very clear experiences I've had. The first was October 13, 1998 between 2-3am. Hubby was out of town and I was alone in bed with calico cat curling up against me. Just getting comfy for sleep, when from behind me, sounded like outside of bathroom in the yard, a loud POP. My 2 live-stock guard dogs started barking, cat popped up her head as did I. What the heck was that!, I thought, (with other words) and laid my head back down as did the cat. Which then had me looking at a column of spheres inside of the front window, inside of the curtains. Grapefruit sized balls of intense white light. Like lit from the inside. You may think I'm an idiot when I say that I said, oh well, and laid my head down on my pillow after saying a quick prayer and going to sleep. A more curious person would have gotten up for a camera!
The second "incident" was also in the bedroom around that same time of night, months later, but I had been already asleep and got up to go to the bathroom. Seemed like a lot of light around the front window, I thought must be the moon. By the time I made it the few steps to the toilet, I began to wake up the brain and realized that wasn't "right". When I stepped back into the bedroom, I saw basketball sized globes forming an arch on either side and above the window. Same intense white light. I observed it for a minute and flopped back in bed. It was still there until I fell asleep.
I have no explanation. No proof. I'm an old woman who has seen many things in my life and I guess my attitude at this point is that none of it has hurt me. This is what I tell my gran-children. Just wanted to share. Maybe you researchers can enlighten me as to want this is.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#33 spiritdoc

spiritdoc

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Learning about and discussing all things universal and spiritual, the realms of the human condition and psyche, watching "para"normal shows like Most Haunted, a good English pub and a pint, fine international wines, languages and communication, travel, old cities with character and history... and, basically, just helping the world move into a better space while I'm here... oh, and of course... dogs and dolphins!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Really resounds "alien" to me Puti... not so much spirit
SpiritDoc

#34 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

I was about to come back to this thread to say they I did know this is for "skeptics". I had been reading here, and whereever I see orbs mentioned because of those 2 experiences. Just thought all these researchers would have an idea for me. No one ever talks about globes of intense light, that just sits there. I've found no research in this.

SpiritDoc, you use to help me...now you're just being silly.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#35 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:34 AM

explanation for orbs?....I have none, and nothing to prove. No photos, no research, just 2 experiences. Every time I see anything about orbs I look in because of these 2 very clear experiences I've had. The first was October 13, 1998 between 2-3am. Hubby was out of town and I was alone in bed with calico cat curling up against me. Just getting comfy for sleep, when from behind me, sounded like outside of bathroom in the yard, a loud POP. My 2 live-stock guard dogs started barking, cat popped up her head as did I. What the heck was that!, I thought, (with other words) and laid my head back down as did the cat. Which then had me looking at a column of spheres inside of the front window, inside of the curtains. Grapefruit sized balls of intense white light. Like lit from the inside. You may think I'm an idiot when I say that I said, oh well, and laid my head down on my pillow after saying a quick prayer and going to sleep. A more curious person would have gotten up for a camera!
The second "incident" was also in the bedroom around that same time of night, months later, but I had been already asleep and got up to go to the bathroom. Seemed like a lot of light around the front window, I thought must be the moon. By the time I made it the few steps to the toilet, I began to wake up the brain and realized that wasn't "right". When I stepped back into the bedroom, I saw basketball sized globes forming an arch on either side and above the window. Same intense white light. I observed it for a minute and flopped back in bed. It was still there until I fell asleep.
I have no explanation. No proof. I'm an old woman who has seen many things in my life and I guess my attitude at this point is that none of it has hurt me. This is what I tell my gran-children. Just wanted to share. Maybe you researchers can enlighten me as to want this is.

Hi Puti:

Your story is very curious, and can have a number of explanations.

It may well be that you have experienced a supernatural phenomenon.

On the other hand, the fact that on both occasions you experienced these things in your bedroom, in association with sleeping, suggests a more prosaic explanation.

There is a phenomenon called "Lucid Dreaming". This is a condition in which people are in a very deep sleep, and dream that they are awake and seeing, doing or experiencing things.

These dreams are so real, that the person has absolutely no doubt that the events they dreamed did, in fact, happen.

Quite often the events dreamed are of a supernatural nature; such as ghosts, or orbs and glowing lights such as you describe.

So, it is entirely possible that you were asleep in bed and having lucid dreams. In this context it is not uncommon that you would dream that your dogs and cat also reacted to whatever you dreamed you were experiencing. You could also dream that you got up and went to the bathroom. All of these things are concistent with this kind of dream.

When you awoke, you would not realise that you had been asleep. Nor would you realise that you had now awoken. So the dream would seem entirely real to you; and you would sincerely believe that you had experienced whatever you had dreamed.

Lucid Dreaming is not well understood, and it is largely a mystery as to why or how it happens. About all that is known is that the phenomena occurs with some people, some of the time; and some people are more susceptable than others.

So, it is entirely possible that your experiences were lucid dreams. On the other hand, they could well have been a supernatural manifestation.

#36 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:19 AM

Canuck, you're a sweetheart! I thank you for taking the time to help me look at another view that I hadn't thought of.
I'm not easily rattled by any of it. It is just that I love doing my own research and have found only talk of digital camera photos etc. I can't think where I saw a post that the person mentioned seeing balls of light outdoors that stood still, on this board. Fully awake person.
Until this latest book I've read by two authors who have researched orbs for years now, with slightly differing perspectives, there's been, I don't think any real research. Even they have nothing to say of the "kind" of orbs or globes I'm describing.
I should mention that I know of lucid dreaming and have been on many "trips". Having said that, I'll have to be careful not to write a book here about where I'm coming from and my experiences with electricity running through my body at age 4, and 3 or 4 near-death like experiences etc . I think though, maybe these experiences cause a "brain-shift", or opening of some kind in a person. My dream life is very interesting, and have been able to control dreams since I was a child. FUN!
Anyhow, thank you Canuck! I see where the bedroom would really make us think that.
Going now to book another trip. TEEEHEEE

#37 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

I was about to come back to this thread to say they I did know this is for "skeptics". I had been reading here, and whereever I see orbs mentioned because of those 2 experiences. Just thought all these researchers would have an idea for me. No one ever talks about globes of intense light, that just sits there. I've found no research in this.

SpiritDoc, you use to help me...now you're just being silly.

Not sure what you mean by "sit there" if it's "sitting" for only a few seconds or minutes. I would guess if it's just for a few seconds you may have seen "plasma balls" a.k.a "ball lighting".
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#38 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

Thanks AXMAN. Now I have more to think about! I know nothing of plasma balls or ball lightning....or any of this really. Will do more reading and asking. I'm going to get off this "skeptics" thread where I don't think I should have put this.
Thank you so much SpiritDoc, canuck and Axman!

These globes of light stayed for much more than a few minutes. I'll come across an answer sooner or later. I'm in no hurry.
Just curious if it would have fit in with the people here who are researching orbs.
Thank you all.

#39 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

Ball lightning is a natural phenomenon and is a variant of lightning much different than the usual bolt lightning. Do up a Google and see what turns up. Have fun with the research!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#40 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

The only thing I cant testitfy to is when I had no digi camera no orbs with digi camera orbs everywhere. I was told when I first started in this business.."use a 35mm camera"
I do think that there are things to consider. I use an open mind and document the area. I really think you can see the diffrence in moisture and dust orbs.

Does anyone know if swamp gas is the same as ball lighting. I don't think so, but I think it produces simlar effects.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#41 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

Any new view points, or opinions?
Posted Image

#42 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:08 AM

Any new view points, or opinions?

Well, since you brought it up..... don't know where to start without writing a book for some background. Everyone has an opinion, we can agree on that, right? And none of us really know each other, REALLY. So where "I'm coming from" no one knows except me. Sometimes. :kitty: This is all my opinion.
To make this a little shorter, I'll mention that I look at all sides, including the spiritual side of the situation I'm examining. I believe I'm a spiritual being having a human experience and not the other way around. Also, I'm not a fool.
I've been away from GV for some time and only recently began looking in again. In the mean time, a year ago March, my son gave me a digital camera for my birthday. This was so I could take my own photos of the animals I live with, dairy goats, dogs and cats. So everyday I took the camera with me as we went to feed them all. I started in the barn taking photos of the goats.
After 4-5 nights of putting the photos from camera to a folder on the computer, I asked a question, out loud, in the barn the next night. This is what I asked... "hey! how come I don't get orb photos? After all, this IS a digital camera".
That night there were a few orbs in some of the photos. The next night there were even more. Following 2-3 nights more and more orb photos until there were so many orbs that they covered the animals I was trying to have photos of.
When I saw them, I complained, out loud, saying this is just ridiculous! You guessed it....Next night NO orbs.
Neale Donald Walsch isn't the only one who has conversations with God. We all do. We call it talking to ourselves or anything else besides that. So I had a conversation with myself that night. Won't go into it here. It's personal.
We could keep an open mind and take into consideration what's on our mind when those photos are taken and what our emotions are at the time. Think energy.
This has nothing to do with religion, but for me, everything to do with spirituality. A whole person is body, mind and spirit after all.
Where is that in the bible that says "we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses"? I grew up believing that the spirit world is right here around us. Where else would it be?

And yes, I do know there are dust and moisture etc.etc. etc. and light flares and on and on.
Just my opinion.

#43 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Interesting.

So why don't you post some of the pictures? A progressive sequence would be particularly informative.

#44 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

Interesting.

So why don't you post some of the pictures? A progressive sequence would be particularly informative.

I see where you're going with posting a progressive sequence of photos canuck. Why one photo is full of orbs and the next few are clear with only what I was aiming at etc.

I backed up the thread to see why I posted here. Back then, early 2008, I didn't even have a camera and was pretty new to a computer! The subject interested me, and you and a couple of others were kind in giving me some things to think about. I mean that. Thank you canuck!
Back then I wondered why hardly anyone spoke of seeing what I called "spheres" with the naked eye so I brought it up. That's something that can't be looked at again by either the experiencer or the people being told of it. So I was probably posting in the wrong place. It's the skeptic thread and I was speaking of something different. Just wanted to mention that there are lots of people who see orbs without a camera.
I'll probably never post my photos to a message board. Why??? I don't need that.
Light is living stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users