Pere Cheney, Grayling Michigan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midnightangel

midnightangel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, anything Paranormal, graphics and having fun.

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

History

I've searched through the pages and didn't see anything listed on Pere Cheney Michigan. It's virtually a ghost town, nothing left of it except some rocks and foundations and a trampled on cemetery. There have been a few investigations into the cemetery as the town is hard to really find. Voices have been heard, strange lights have shown in pictures(I have one of these myself), strange ghostly figures, children laughing, putting hand prints all over your car while you're exploring, and much more.

I've been out there several times personally, and haven't had too many experiences, other than some things showing up in my pictures. Here is an article I wrote after one of our trips. There are several places on the net that mention Pere Cheney, all you need to do is a search and it pops up all over the place. The link I posted above has some info as well. What I'm posting below is our first of many trips to PC. There have been a few more and we do still have pictures.

Pere Cheney, Michigan
Pere Cheney Cemetery
Crawford County Michigan

On August 23, 2005 my husband and I took a trip to the Pere Cheney Cemetery near Grayling Michigan. There are many stories surrounding the ghost town of Pere Cheney as well as the cemetery itself. Ghosts, witches, strange figures, glowing orbs, lights in the trees, and more. We went during the day to find it. The cemetery is down a two track road and runs along some railroad tracks, hidden in the woods. There is no sign at the cemetery, and no signs indicating that it exists the way we took to get to it. A little farther north is the town of Pere Cheney, which is supposed to be considered a Ghost Town. And according to some accounts, the entire town is haunted. Some sort of disease; chlorea, diphtheria, or small pox is said to have wiped out the entire town in the early 20th century. I am not sure which disease holds true, since Iíve yet to research further.

There are several discombobulated tombstones out there, as well as fire pits right in the cemetery. The total disregard to some of the gravesites there is awful. Many are broken up, some have no stone to mark who or where they are. Apparently, many of the stones have been taken or destroyed, as there are several unmarked graves. Some of the headstones that are there, are completely unreadable. Had I been one of the few deceased in the cemetery, I believe I would haunt it as well, if for nothing else then revenge for the vandalism that has taken place over the years.

I donít believe my husband and I Ďfeltí anything except sadness and sorrow for the condition of the cemetery. Although, I do admit, that it seemed as if we were walking on deceased people the entire time we were there. Mostly due to the fact that several of the stones are missing, and in some places where you would expect to see a headstone, all that is left is rocks. But then again, we were there in broad daylight, instead of in the evening or at dusk. We do plan on visiting it again as well as the town itself. My husband wants to go out there at night next time. I, myself, am too spooked to consider it right now. Even as Iím typing this, when I consider the tales I have heard, I must admit, I get goosebumps and chills just thinking about it.

While we were at the cemetery, we both took pictures. I took them with the digital camera, though not too many and Steve ran the video camera. We havenít looked at the video tape yet, but the pics are on the computer. All of the pictures look like normal pictures. I couldnít see anything strange on the handful that I took, except for one. There is a strange light shining on the ground, that seems too bright to be natural. I had first thought that maybe it was a reflection of the sun coming thru the trees, but I believe it was far too shiny and it was actually right in the shade not very far from one of the headstones.

I really havenít studied the pictures thoroughly, with exception to the one. I will do that sometime soon, in case there actually is something there. Even Steve, who doesnít believe in spirits or ghosts says that the light is very odd, and not at all natural. We hope to find something on the video that Steve took. But being during the day, Iím not sure. From all of the accounts Iíve read, the best time to see or feel anything would naturally be at night. Providing you have enough guts to roam an old cemetery, far back in the woods, at night when who knows what you could come across. Although, I must admit, I am intrigued with regards to the happenings that have been reported.

There are quite a few references to the cemetery and the town on the internet. I will print up some of the stuff later, but most of the accounts are close to the same. It is my belief, that contacting the Crawford County Historical Museum is the one way to find out the story about the infamous cemetery and town. Whether or not the cemetery is haunted, I do not know yet but would love to find out and hope to enjoy the road I need in order to find out the truth.

We should be going back up over Labor Day, Iím going to look up information prior to that weekend since Steve wants to check out the town and the cemetery again, probably at night this time. I am not to thrilled about going to a cemetery at night, even one thatís NOT haunted, imagine the spooks Iíll be feeling at one that is supposedly haunted. NU UH..lol

September 5th and 6th

Once again, we ventured into unknown territory named Pere Cheney. We have a small map that we were using for reference, though it doesnít help a whole lot. We did drive around what we assume was the town or what was left of the town. According the the map, there are places marked as to what they are. We, unfortunately, couldnít find anything. We did find a large rock that had ĎHANGĒ painted on it, in the general vicinity of the school, and hotel, general store. There were some concrete pieces laying around in some of the area we were exploring. WE assumed by the map that they may have been have been the site of the hotel and another building. Beaver Creek Twp. Is a good place to start. We may run over to the township hall again and see if we can get a better map or the area or even a drive by to see that we were in the right area. The map we have only lists a couple of roads, and there are several two tracks cut through the woods that we were sure about. Though we did explore some of the ones that we saw on the map, at least for the most part. It is unfortunate that we couldnít find anything left to see. Old remnants would have been nice or at least markers where the old building used to be. Its hard for an outsider to find anything without the help of someone that knows the area well enough.

We have to head back home today, but we still have a few hours to kill in the meantime, so I think we will go check out the twp hall again, see what more we can find out. I did speak to someone at the Grayling Chamber of Commerce. She said that she didnít think there was much left of the town, but that Beaver Creek would know for sure, and that they have recíd quite a few phone calls with regard to the cemetery and town. That could be a good sign, maybe someone will think to print better information or even place some markers, plaques, or signs to where the old stuff would have been if it were still standing.

During our trip, we did manage to get out to the cemetery at dusk, but being the wuss that I am, I only took a couple of pictures from the car, I didnít want to get out and explore, maybe next time, especially if those pictures show something not natural, albeit paranormal in the shots.

I also have a listing of those buried in the cemetery. I just counted 90 bodies that are supposed to be there. But to visit the cemetery, you would never know as more that half of them are missing. The feeling of walking on someoneís grave, gives new meaning when you enter the broken gates of the cemetery. There are possibly 10-15 graves that you can see, maybe not even that many.

Update: Steve and I went to the Beaver Creek Twp offices today, September 7. Got some more information on the cemetery and town. As we expected, there isnít really anything left of the town. It is all overgrown by grass, trees, and weeds. And the main road that used to go thru town, is nothing more than a dusty two track. Now according to one account of a former resident in 1990, there is a cement slab left of the school.

Yours in Darkness, Midnight AngelPosted Image

#2 midnightangel

midnightangel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, anything Paranormal, graphics and having fun.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

;)
Yours in Darkness, Midnight AngelPosted Image

#3 Angelbabe

Angelbabe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting and unusual sightings. We by no means go out and disturb the supernatural we are their to catch any unusal vibes or happenigs in the areas we visit.

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for putting the pere cheney cemetary/ghost town on this site. I am part of a ghost hunters group and when i came across your article on pere cheney cematery i was excited to learn more about it. I believe i ran upon another article in which the railroad still ran or seemed like it still was working when someone stood on the tracks? I am not sure about this but i am very interested in visiting this place and getting some shots and evps if possible. If you can give me any more info on this area please let me know.

Thanks,

Angelbabe

looking for the unusal things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users