• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:55 PM

This is an article I found on Scientology, which was no available on the official scientology website. As a matter of fact, when I visited the website, it was near to impossible to find specifics about their beliefs without purchasing books and paying for classes. It's a long article, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I've heard several references to Scientologists belonging to a cult. I'm not sure if I'd go that far but, again, I've done very little research on the subject. Anyone know anything first hand? Anyway, here's the article....

"Scientology is comprised exclusively of the teachings of one man: L. Ron Hubbard. Hubbard's theories, assumptions, and techniques for practical applications that make up the rituals of Scientology, are sometimes called the “Spiritual Technology,” or simply “the Tech.”

Hubbard claimed to have discovered certain “natural laws” of the spiritual universe, which he claimed can be used to predict and control behavior and phenomena in a manner similar to the way in which the natural laws codified in the physical sciences can be used to predict and control phenomena in the physical world.

Scientology assumes that spirituality and thought (called “theta”) is an energy existing in its own universe, separate and distinct from the physical universe of Matter, Energy, Space and Time (MEST), and that spirit (theta) is senior to, and indeed created, the physical universe (MEST).

Each individual person (called a “thetan”) is considered to be a “thought unit” of the spiritual universe which interacts with the physical universe (MEST), usually by inhabiting a human body. The Scientology term “thetan” is what has commonly been known as the “spirit” and it is defined in Scientology as the source of life; in the individual, it is recognized as the core of personality or essence of oneself, quite distinct and separate from the physical body or the brain.

Scientology proposes that in its “native state” the spirit/thetan is immortal and god-like and possesses the potentiality of knowing everything, but that in present time its true capabilities have been lost and forgotten. As an immortal entity, the spirit/thetan lives on after body death and is born into a new physical body, again and again, lifetime after lifetime, in an endless cycle of birth and death. As a result of traumatic incidents extending back from the present life through a long series of “past lifetimes” hidden from conscious memory, the spirit/thetan has become trapped in the physical body and the physical/MEST universe.

Content of these traumatic incidents may influence a person's current life, causing physical and mental illnesses, irrational thoughts and acting-out behavior, and limiting one's creativity and other abilities. Scientology claims that these traumatic incidents, along with each spirit/thetan's personal history, are recorded in complete detail on the “time track,” sometimes called the “whole track,” which for each person is many trillions of years in length. Scientology proposes that through a process called “auditing” that uses techniques developed by Hubbard (often assisted by a device called the E-Meter), an individual can be guided to find and “discharge” these hidden traumas, thus escaping the suffering and limitations imposed by the past.

Further, as one progresses through a series of auditing “levels,” one can eventually be restored to native state and can attain the status of  “operating thetan,” wherein one is free of attachments to the body and, even while “exterior” to (outside) the body, one can consciously control matter, energy, space, time, thought, and life. Hubbard's writings and lectures include many tantalizing details of the god-like abilities that may be gained through auditing.

For most individual Scientologists, recovering these god-like abilities (and encouraging and assisting others to do so as well) is the primary goal of participation in Scientology. The “levels” through which a participant progresses make up what is called “The Bridge to Total Freedom.” Progress through all the levels of the “Bridge” often takes many years of dedicated study and practice, and the cost in fees for services for the Bridge is currently estimated at approximately $300,000 - $500,000 in US dollars.

According to examples given in Scientology, the content of “whole track” incidents can include (but is not limited to) attempted abortions and other fetal traumas, acts of torture and violence experienced both as victim and as perpetrator, encounters with the Marcab Confederacy and various Invader Forces from spacefaring Galactic civilizations, life on earth as a clam, “implants” of ideas and artificial purposes sometimes administered with a pain-drug-hypnosis combination, and other experiences that almost always include pain and/or confusion and/or unconsciousness.

While many of the traumatic incidents addressed in auditing are unique to the individual, some key incidents are thought to be common to all humans on planet earth. One very important such incident supposedly occurred some 75 million years ago. Scientology warns that until one has completed a series of preparatory steps, exposure to the details of this particular incident can cause severe illness or even death.* Thus, these details are carefully guarded and kept secret until, at the level called “Operating Thetan III” the member is deemed properly prepared and is granted permission to view and “audit” this information."

#2 hairpin

hairpin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:12 PM

I had a friend in high school who's mother got into Scientology through a man she met on AOL (before the internet was highly popular) Eventually her mom fell in love with this guy and took off for California (from South Carolina) and left her daughter at home alone. Well being a teenager she threw parties, people got drunk and cops got called and 3 weeks later her mom came home to a trashed house. Her mom, who used to be more of a 'party type' than her daughter, put her in some Scientology reform school where another girl had died because they refused to take her to the hospital when she complained of pains in her stomach and chest. The house mother said it was 'growing pains' and it came from believing in psychology. It turns out the girl had a rupture in her appendix and that's what eventually killed her. I never saw my friend again after they took her away.

CHRISTY SPEAR WHERE ARE YOU!?!?
You cannot use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. -Cody Polstonwww.sgha.netSouthwest Ghost Hunters Association - SHIELD Team LeaderThe 10 BIGGEST mistakes made by ghost hunters.

#3 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:19 PM

WOW, you know it was points like that that were brought up in the article I read about Scientology resembling a cult. How Scientologists believe that past traumas affect us physically and we have to be "cleansed" of these in order to be healthy individuals... that all health problems can be associated with mental illness and emotional trauma. Of course, I believe that a happy mind = a happy body, but there are still physical conditions beyond our control. That's scary hairpin, and I'm SO sorry your friend was subjected to that!

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#4 hairpin

hairpin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:26 PM

I also can't see throwing so much money into basically, 'leveling' your senoirity in a church. (Hrmm all the rich people in power..sounds familiar!) You must pay for higher involvement. There's something dirty about that. I'm not a religous person, but a persons beliefs shouldn't cost anything.
You cannot use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. -Cody Polstonwww.sgha.netSouthwest Ghost Hunters Association - SHIELD Team LeaderThe 10 BIGGEST mistakes made by ghost hunters.

#5 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:30 PM

This is why a large part of their membership consists of celebrities or the rich... because they can apparently afford "enlightenment". Yeah, it's highly suspicious to me too.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#6 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:34 PM

It's probably a cult created to get celebrities moola

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:26 AM

"cult" is a word thrown out to discredit a religion they don't understand.

I've heard the name Scientology before, but never had the opportunity to learn any of their beliefs or tenets, so I'll let more informed individuals respond.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:36 AM

As far as I ever knew about Scientology was that Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Lisa Marie Presley were Scientologists.  I've also read in an article in some magazine discussing Spirituality in Hollywood (printed around the time of the release of The Passion Of The Christ), that it couldn't be the horrible, mind-controlling cult that some think it to be because folks like Tom Cruise were very controlling individuals.  

At any rate, of course there are rumours (same type of rumours are being raised about the other trendy Hollywood faith, Kabbalah..and yes, I know that Kabbalah existed long before Madonna discovered it, but ya'll know what I mean).

In the case of Scientology, while I disagree with the whole "no Doctor" or whatever that is exactly, I think I'll take a look around the net to get some more info, because as it stands right now, my understanding comes from Celebrity Rumour Rags and Ana's post.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:01 AM

I agree with you Aloha,and Vampchick. I also know very little about Scientology. And This sounds very much to me like something that most people know little about, and so label without bothering to research. Just like Satanism,etc. And hairpin, i'm sorry about your friend but, that may not be the norm.

#10 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:11 PM

I've met Travolta, he's- as most of you guys know-is an accomplished pilot.  The guy's amazing.  He's highly intelligent.  He's got a photographic memory and his mental abilities are incredible.  One really nice guy- confident without the ego.   But he's really, REALLY, is into Scientology.  When he engages you it is really evident and at all times he's employing some of the things Ana wrote about-  BTW thanks for the info Ana, great run down and it fits.  After meeting Travolta, it fits.

Kabbalah teachings were generally reserved only for mid aged Jewish men who had reached a certain 'station' in life.  The underlying idea of Kabbalah is that God favors you and that's the reason why you're so well off.  Money and status are God's way of rewarding you.  The celebrities follow it because it basically a way to wallow around in all your wealth and not feel guilty about it nor feel the need to give back.  Ain't kidding.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#11 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:15 PM

You know... I've met a few Scientologists, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that  everyone I've met has tried to convince me to visit the church, take these silly personality tests, and would go on and on about how mental illness = physical illness and how one must purge the mind of emotional distress in order to live longer, healtheir lives. Although it would seem to be logical thinking, I'm just not entirely comfortable with the feel I get from these people. Almost radical. But again, it's just a FEELING, and has no basis in fact. It just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth is all. But, perhaps I've just met the wrong Scientologists!

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

Hawkers, I almost HATE you!  YOU met JOHN TRAVOLTA???!!!!  Oh my Gods but I adore him!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:46 PM

is this the same belief as Christ Scientist?if it is I watched a child die one time after being hit by a car because her mother refused medical treatment she said she had faith that the child would be ok and get up and walk away. but it didn't happen that way, the child laid there in the street and died because of her mothers faith.

#14 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:06 AM

Ana, ditto.  You're right.  I have had the same impressions as you.

Vamp, yeah.  He comes to a place here in D/FW for his recurrent training and I work there on a different simulator.

Trudey, yeah, can you imagine?  I trust God with everything but I am under the opinion that I have to do some work so He can do his work.
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#15 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

As far as I'm conserned, Scientology is not only a cult, but a dangerous cult.  If you want information, you can go here:

http://www.xenu.net/
What Would Batman Do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users