• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:00 PM

Lol. Gregory... that's the EXACT website I looked at when I mentioned I found articles depicting Scientology as a cult. Things that make you go "hmmm".

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#17 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:41 PM

why would god give people brains enough to learn to be drs. and scientist and lab techs brains to find cures if he didn't want us to use these people to help us keep our bodies well and strong. God gave us life and I am sure he wants us to respect these what some call our temples enough to keep them healthy and well.

#18 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

Bumping this up so that new members have a chance to give their views on this ever growing hollywoodized religion...frankly I see it as a cult with very persistant members *coughTomCruisecough* I admit to not knowing anything about it but would like to understand the meaning/purpose of it.

Scientology Lies
FAQS

I'm loving the site Gregory posted, it has a new section "Tom Cruise is Nuts" They might wanna get a new spokesperson :lol:
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#19 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

I once considered Scientology to be just a slightly odd religion and never paid much attention to it. In fact, until recently I didn't even consider it a cult, probably because of the membership of folks like Tom Cruise and John Travolta and Lisa Marie Presley....none of whom one could instantly consider good candidates for brainwashing.

However, Tom Cruise is putting Scientology in a very bad light with his bizzare little rants. I don't know exactly what the whole story is, but something ISN'T right....be it with Scientology or with Cruise....

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#20 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

I don;t know much about the celebrities issue- but I know there are a lot of scientologist shops and meeting area's in Edinburgh- which is to be expected I guess. After reading through some of that - that is some pro and some con - I'm begining to wonder why so called "critics" don't look at the rather shaky beliefs themselves, rather than simply ridiculing thier practices, terminology and some of their wilder claims. I'm thinking of this site in particular;
http://bernie.cncfam...c/irc_intro.htm
So it could just be the guy who compiled that page being purposefully selective with the criticism's it's discussing. But even the main site given to critic it states "On the surface the Church of Scientology seems reasonable"

It seems to me to be a composite of every belief or idea that might or might not have been popular- but were at least well known in the 50's. I mean we have the idea that we can become Gods if we free ourselves of all earthly trappings, which must be one of the most common promises of any religion (achieve nirvana, ascend to heaven, reach perfection). Then there's the christian, Cartesian duality. The split between the physical and the spiritual self that many christian philosophers have used to explain free will, personality, individuality and divinity - not to mention existance itself. The Theta and the Mest is a little similar to the phenomena and naumena - only a little more defined and precise. The idea that we are the way we are - read "messed up" - being a result of past life traumas seems to be a mix of an ill conceived notion of karma and the idea of original sin.
Duality has long since been out of fashion amongst philosophers- mainly due to modern pschology and medicine, but the arguments are still very appealing, granted. However this split between the physical and the spiritual world is thought by most to be impossible due to the conservation of energy ideas- as in no energy can be created or destroyed within a system, and in order to exert force or control something in the physical world it's generally agreed that something most abide by the rules of the physical world, or else those rules would no longer apply at all. In other words, unless these spiritual natural laws were exactly the same as our physical natural laws, and the spirital theta was in fact part of the physical world the theta could have no influence on the Mesta.
I'd personally be worried about any religion that offered only personal understanding and great powers with no greater understanding of such things like WHY ARE WE HERE? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather know that than exist in some God like state- and I'm sorry but their promise of maybe, possibly knowing everything just doesn't cut it. The whole thing sets itself up as a search for truth and understanding, but as far as I can see offers none.

One thing I'd like to say to anybody reading up on scientology- be very carefull of the emotive wording of both sides of the argument.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#21 saneguy

saneguy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

I'm not going to comment on Scientologists' beliefs, since I really don't know much about it. They're entitled to those beliefs, just as anybody else, be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Wicca, whatever works for you. I do question their tactics when it comes to recruiting and keeping members. I've always heard that once you're in, it's nearly impossible to get out, that they want control over every part of your life.

As for Tom Cruise, there's been a lot of speculation that he might be suffering from manic-depression. That can explain why he's jumping around like a nut one minute and cussing out a reporter the next.
Posted Image

#22 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:44 AM

must not be taking his vitamins
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#23 bewsbud

bewsbud

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:02 AM

Hi. This is my first post here. It's nice to meet you!
I couldn't help but jump in when I saw a subject so 'near and dear' to my heart.

To be absolutely upfront...I am *totally* opposed to the *Church* of Scientology. I have heard that there are splinter groups (called Free Zoners) some of which use no coercion or underhanded techniques with their members (or in recruiting members). I do know there are groups called Free Zoners, however, I don't know if it's true that some of these groups operate above board. If there are such groups, I may not agree with their 'religion', but I respect their right to practice it.

Ok. Now that I've (attempted to) establish the fact that I'm not some zealot <G>, I thought you may find the following links of interest.

This site's webmaster, Arnie Lerma, is an ex-Scientologist:
http://www.lermanet.com/

This is a quick link to the webmaster's reasons for leaving Scientology:
http://www.lermanet....exit/FINAL2.htm

This is a link to an interview with L. Ron Hubbard, *Jr* that blows my mind:
http://www.lermanet....eWolfe07-82.htm

Off the topic...I look forward to getting to know all of you!!!

Bews

#24 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:21 PM

I seem rather drawn to this subject- I stay spend more time on the net last night to read into it, then come home from work and I'm back on the computer looking for more info...

Though some of what I'm reading is quite horrific- the above cited website (http://www.lermanet.com/) claims that the e-meter induces the release of certain endorphines similar to taking cocain and that you can get addicted to it- indeed it claims this is one of the main causes for the success of Scientology. Whereas the official site (which scares me just a bit- with it's flash demonstrations of happy smily people) claims that the e-meter simply measures how affected you are by something and how likely you are to have suffered trauma from the incident described. It claims that it's a highly precise tool that does nothing whatsoever to the user. The idea that a device that has only contact with the palms of your hands is at all detailed or precise as they claim seems a bit far fetched- but that's what the picture showed. Now, I've been for an EEG scan- which involved a lot of wires stuck to my head... this was intended to measure neural activity and was not as precise as these guys seem to think their e-meter is.

This whole e-meter thing could, if true (the critics version of the story that is) explain Tom Cruise's behaviour - the manic depression and mood swings associated with addiction? But it all depends on who you want to believe, I can't seem to find any non-bias source on this.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#25 bewsbud

bewsbud

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

Hi mellilotflower!

I honestly don't know if the E-meter itself could be used as a form of persuasion on any level other than psychological.

I don't doubt that the E-meter causes some type of physical/cellular reaction if Mr. Lerma's technical information is correct.

The electrical output (of the E-meter) seems to be along the same lines as the average TENS unit (around the size of a small pager, complete with electrodes). When I was given a TENS unit years ago, I was told its' function was to interfere with the "pain message" being sent from my back to my brain. I was also told the unit would stimulate the release of endorphins, so I can believe the part of Mr. Lerma's theory that indicates an E-meter may produce the same effect.

I'm not, however, convinced the physiological response to the E-meter is all that important to Scientology's success with its' members. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that I'd need more evidence before I could believe it.

#26 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:05 AM

For most individual Scientologists, recovering these god-like abilities (and encouraging and assisting others to do so as well) is the primary goal of participation in Scientology. The “levels” through which a participant progresses make up what is called “The Bridge to Total Freedom.” Progress through all the levels of the “Bridge” often takes many years of dedicated study and practice, and the cost in fees for services for the Bridge is currently estimated at approximately $300,000 - $500,000 in US dollars.

Yes, it costs you money, and they tell you that there's something wrong with you and that for SUCH AND SUCH amount, we CAN fix you... but only after you pay our special introductory offer.......... lol

I figure there's some good points to it, like the way Hawkers was saying, Travolta's ability to manipulate the people he talks with (Jedi Mind tricks eh? lol), but then any good Witch worth his or her salt can do that..... Basic magick, and it doesn't cost half a million to learn how to do it.........

:D
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#27 TartanGal

TartanGal

Likes to create drama!

• Deleted
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:11 AM

Personally I believe Scientology to be a cult that was spawned from sci fi addicts and have harrnassed all sorts of weird and wonderful reasons why they are the chosen ones to set the world free from drug dependancies to relationship warriors etc you name it they can do it lol Oh right they turn Actors into Recruiters as well as Money Spinners for there own wealthy so called Church gains. Anyone with half a brain must surely see this cult as a reason to be weary of. Most religions in one way or another end up causing more harm than good its a mindfeild of inconsistancies and hippocracies which are drawing on peoples fears and vulnerabiltys used for power wealth politcs and wars Amen.

#28 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

Scientology simply offers another way of dealing with life on lifes terms and is yet another way to extract money from your pockets while doing so .

It is nothing unless you subscribe to it , just like any other religion or belief.

Its a system of belief. Buy it or not , the choice is yours.

Free will rules :ghost:

Rockhauler2k1
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#29 christy s

christy s

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

I had a friend in high school who's mother got into Scientology through a man she met on AOL (before the internet was highly popular) Eventually her mom fell in love with this guy and took off for California (from South Carolina) and left her daughter at home alone. Well being a teenager she threw parties, people got drunk and cops got called and 3 weeks later her mom came home to a trashed house. Her mom, who used to be more of a 'party type' than her daughter, put her in some Scientology reform school where another girl had died because they refused to take her to the hospital when she complained of pains in her stomach and chest. The house mother said it was 'growing pains' and it came from believing in psychology. It turns out the girl had a rupture in her appendix and that's what eventually killed her. I never saw my friend again after they took her away.

CHRISTY SPEAR WHERE ARE YOU!?!?

Hi, my name is Christy Spear. My husband asked if I ever googled my name, and here I am. I'm guessing Megan Keith wrote this, since the address is Austin, TX? Hi, Megan. Always had a flair for embellishment didn't you?

First of all, that entire article was absolute bs and you know it. The only "truth" to it was that I had a party and trashed the house with the help of other kids. I'm not even going to bother trying to defend to the rest, it's absolute crap. If you want to believe that Scientology is a cult, go right ahead. If you've already made up your mind, I won't confuse you with the facts. If you would like to find out about Scientology, the only valid source is www.scientology.org. Just remember that people can say whatever they want, regardless of whether there is any merit to what they say!

#30 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

I know, I know, this is the 21st century, we've all had diversity training and are supposed to accept anything. I even as a W.A.S.P./Norwegian ate at a Thai restaurant, and managed to keep the "food" down until I was in the alley around the corner. BUT, I have seen Scientology first hand. If I see a copy of Dianetics in a bookstore, I hide it. I've even gotten up and left the room during interviews with Travolta and Cruise.

Scientology is no Jonestown. Jim Jones gave his people a trip to Belize, and put them out of their misery, and that's more than you'll get out of the bloodsuckers at Scientology!
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users