Weeping Icons

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#16 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:18 AM

Good :)  Of all the incidents of that nature that I recall, the milk drinking icon was my absolute favourite.  Something about it just touched me.  As if the deity represented by the icon was accepting the offerings of the worshipers.  Kind of a way of saying "Yes, I am here, I hear you."  Whereas the others, such as statues of the Virgin Mary weeping tears of blood, fascinates me but disturbs me a little too....why would She need to weep blood?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#17 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:56 AM

Good :)  Of all the incidents of that nature that I recall, the milk drinking icon was my absolute favourite.

Sorry:

http://theory.tifr.r...-milk.html#expt
What Would Batman Do?

#18 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:01 AM

*shrug*  Catholics like bloody imagery.  If that's what their deity needs to do to connect with them, it will.  On the one hand these things seem like an easily faked effect, OTOH, I had an experience with my own personal shrine that seems a related phenomenon.  Now normally, as I know from experience, if you leave plum wine sitting out in an open glass it turns thick and jelly-like as it evaporates.  I left some out in an offering cup that, when I went to go wash out the cup a couple of days later, had turned nearly clear and become thin and watery.  I have no idea why it would do that, as it never did before...almost like a reversal of the famous Biblical water-into-wine thing. Not sure how to classify it, but certainly made me wonder... I've also noticed alcohol offerings seeming to evaporate faster than normal when made on a day with particular spiritual significance, though it's easier to attribute that to my imagination...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#19 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:02 AM

:)  Interesting.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#20 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:06 AM

Ya know, I leave my own offering outside (stems from my Irish grandmother teaching me as a child to leave milk and biscuits outside for the wee folk), and so when the cup and/or plate is empty, I've always assumed 'critters or the homeless' (I live in Toronto, yes, we have homeless people.  If they're hungry, they're welcome to what I leave out in offering.).

I'll make a small change of tactic and readjust my home alter so that the fuzzbuts can't get at anything I leave out.  See what happens over a period of time....  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#21 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

Posted by: Yosei Posted on: Today at 1:01pm
*shrug*  Catholics like bloody imagery.  

yosei, your very right. i'm catholic(though renagade one) and have been dragged to many a boring mass and sunday school session in my life. the jist of what i know on weeping icons is that the vatican proclaims them as a religious miracle until someone debunks it. like there was a statue in either rome or texas or somewhere where there are scads of catholics where there was this statue of christ that would weep tears of blood when there was a world crisis. turned out it was fake. i laughed at that one. my aunt told me it was a real miracle and i told her it was a hoax and i was right! lol anyways, to make a point, the catholics like bloody stuff. lots of it. our crucfixes always have the bloody wounds and scabs and sores of christ well represented. our art is bloody. our statues weep blood. so to put it simply, catholics = bloody stuff.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#22 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:37 PM

:)

Thanks Moon, I got it from a website called http://www.mycathatesyou.com  Hilarious place.

What's Olive Oil and Wax flyingorb?  Was that the substance the Hindu icon was absorbing?  I'd be crushed if that one turned out to be a hoax...

No, its just a way the ancients made statues weep.  Olive oil under the eyes covered by wax.  The wax would melt/leak and the oil would appear to be tears from the statue's eyes. ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#23 Kristy

Kristy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:I will be updating my &quot;interests&quot; soon-lol.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:23 PM

someone please educate me...hindu milk miracle?  Never heard that one....like Willow said it only takes a couple of times "really believing" then to find out what you "believed" is a total hoax.  Tends to make one skeptical about these sort of claims.
Has anyone see the little East Indian girl who "cried glass tears"?  It was on 60 minutes a year or two ago-they pulled it off on T.V.-I STILL think there was a way they faked this.
See what hoaxes do to people? Ruins (for me) what may be authentic.

Kristy  :)

#24 Kristy

Kristy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:I will be updating my &quot;interests&quot; soon-lol.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:27 PM

Alsie R. I LOVE your quote!!!! Funny girl....

Kristy

#25 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:52 PM

I've just about had it!  I am tired of the cheap shots at my faith!  Catholic=bloody stuff and so on.  

For all of you who were raised 'Catholic' and feel you have the right to pull punches, fine.  But now I'm going to start pulling punches with all of you Wiccans and Pagans and I just know that you will ALL have a COW!!  

SHE CAN'T DO THAT!! She's not being open minded!  NO, the simple fact of the matter is it's just not the 'cool' thing to be Catholic.  It's 'cool' to be Wiccan tho.  It's cool to prance around with a coven and make spells out in the woods on a full moon! Now, THAT'S NEAT and make no mistake, me and every one else around are EXPECTED to respect your faith.  

Respect mine and I'll respect yours, but as for now I haven't seen very much.  
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#26 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:04 PM

Its sooo sad when people don't leave there biasis at the door.you know who you are lol

#27 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

I hope the above rant was a joke, because I sure don't see the lack of respect that supposedly triggered it...I pointed out, in answer to a question as to why a religious icon would do such a disturbing thing, that Catholic imagery has a lot of blood( it does) and that is presumably a part of the way they connect with their deity( I've heard a number of Catholics say so openly, besides it being fairly obvious from the symbolism of sacramental wine), Alsie found instances of this that were amusing because of her upbringing and experiences.  Not seeing a problem here.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#28 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

I'm sorry if you felt i disrespected you losei or anyone else. the (you know who you are) part i was being sarcastic. if it really bothers you still i will remove it again i'm sorry

#29 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:10 PM

Milegone---I didn't mean you, actually...Quite frankly I seldom understand what it is that people get in such a lather about with most things, occasionally my perplexity is sufficient to register as annoyance.

#30 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:33 PM

i'm just going to shut up now.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users