Weeping Icons

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:03 AM

Ok, while watching Breakfast Television (a morning news show here in Toronto), one of the news items caught my attention.  Apparently, down in Texas, there is a picture of Jesus that is 'weeping' an oily substance from the eyes.  The woman who owns this painting claims that it began after she prayed for her grandchild who was born with his internal organs on the outside of his body.

So, Icons that weep various substances ALWAYS grab my attention.  I'm never quite certain what to make of each individual case.  What are your thoughts on these things?  Weeping paintings, weeping statues, etc, etc?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

not too sure. some say there is a scientific explanation! but i have difficulty digesting it logically. But can;t attribute everything to paranormal either!
Posted Image

#3 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:51 AM

I think that there are only a certain number of tests that can be performed on these things before you just have to resign yourself to the fact there IS not scientific explanation.

Also, what harm does it do to believe in these things, regardless of their validity? I mean, if I do a ritual and see a rainbow appear afterwards, I could read into that so much. It could be dumb luck or coincidence, but if it makes me feel connected to something greater, than I say let me believe it.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

That's a good way to look at it, particularly at the cases where no one is making money from it.  The woman in Texas that I mentioned is giving people bits of cloth soaked in the substance that the painting is weeping, but no mention of her charging for it, or anything at all for folks to just see it.

I've often considered somehow catalouging the instances of weeping icons and paintings.  I recall one story a couple of years ago where a Hindu statue of one of their Gods was drinking milk, and that one is so far my favourite :)

This stuff grabs me at such a deep level, and it's not just a Christian happening either.  Makes me wonder if I start looking, just how far back will I find occurances?  Did the statues of the Greek Gods in Ancient Greece weep?  Ancient Rome?  Egyptian?  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:20 AM

I don't deny that these things happen. I think they are significant spiritual occurances. What I often wonder is what we are supposed to learn from it? Are these simply happening to bring us closer to the divine, or is there an underlying purpose that no one is grasping?

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:35 AM

Wow!  Good question!  That's one to ponder.  I suppose one would have to look at them cohesivly to even attempt to figure it out.

Here's another question...how many of these are straight up hoaxes, how many would perhaps be a non-divine spirit messing with people and how many would be an actual manifestation of the Deity that the Icon represents?

Ya know what?  Me gots a new hobby!  I'm going to start collecting these instances and create a webpage for them.....it's just such an incredibly fascinating thing!  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:21 PM

I'm afraid that the few known hoaxes will discourage people from believing in the unexplainable occurrances.

I've never personally see a statue cry or painting bleed, but I won't discount that as being impossible.  It may be impossible according to the laws in our plane of knowledge, but who knows about the higher laws?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

I think it's happened one to many times in the modern era alone for it to be discounted by one or two hoaxes.... But I know what you mean :)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

If anyone is interested in the article, it's here:

http://paranormal.ab...730/detail.html

It hasn't been scientifically tested, but at a glance, it looks fake: the tears are comming from the wrong part of the eye.

And not to sound insensitive, but what the hell sort of miracle is that, anyway?  "You had a hideously misformed baby, but look!  A crying painting!"  I guess everything is okay now, huh?
What Would Batman Do?

#10 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:43 AM

Yeah, I'm not buying the picture in that article either. And, you make a good point Gregory. If my child were to suddenly die from some bizarre illness, I doubt that a crying statue or painting would make it all better. So, it does kind of make you wonder about the point of that kind of "sign". Who knows, though, maybe it is just to help us mere mortals feel closer to the divine.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#11 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:23 AM

I have always wondered the sincerity or miracle of the weeping/bleeding icons myself and as Aloha said, it only takes acouple of hoaxes to make me either highly skeptical or just disbelieve all together...I am also smitten with the hindu milk miracle, I just find it amazing that it not only happened in India but in Canada, Hong Kong, Indonesia and England... by chance has anyone found any hoax news on this phenomenon?
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#12 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:47 AM

Olive oil and wax.......... :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:02 AM

VampChick, wow wow that is a fabulous avatar you got! Meowwww
Posted Image

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:07 AM

:)

Thanks Moon, I got it from a website called http://www.mycathatesyou.com  Hilarious place.

What's Olive Oil and Wax flyingorb?  Was that the substance the Hindu icon was absorbing?  I'd be crushed if that one turned out to be a hoax...

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:12 AM

nawww.... the hindu icons were DRINKING MILK lol! no idea why, but it happened!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users