• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:06 PM

Sorry Aloha, I just didn't specify enough. But, even IF Hitler, for instance, truly repented, I still feel he should burn in Hell, and I could care less about his repentance or his guilt.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#17 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:13 PM

In Mormonism murder is not covered by the atonement.  Murderers must pay for their dreadful deeds before the resurrection.  In truth, all people must pay for any sins of which they hadn't repented.

The one Biblical account that casts a doubt on this is Saul / Paul.  Saul persecuted the early Christians beyond measure before his conversion.  Paul was even called as an apostle.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#18 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:26 PM

Ana, but its not up to us to judge but I think most that are truly evil have no faith in an afterlife so they would have no reason to repent.  I think they'll be in for a very rude awakening
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#19 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:19 PM

In all honesty, who says we aren't the ones to pass judgement? I mean, if you don't believe in God or Christianity, than the whole "only God can judge" thing kind of becomes a moot point. I'm quite comfortable believing that I get to tell Hitler to bite me and he can wait in line before those pearly gates for all eternity. Then again, I don't believe in Heaven, so perhaps the best punishment is just to cease to exist all together, or live your own worst hell for ever and ever, amen. lol. I am SO not the forgiving type. Good thing I'm not God, eh?

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#20 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:55 PM

In my opinion all pediphile and people who severly harm children should all burn in hell. Sorry if its harsh but its just a oersonal opinion.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#21 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:43 AM

aloha had a good point, though. with greater knowledge comes greater responsibility.

For the non-believer, it isn't a particular sin which separates him from God, but sin in general. repentance means a turning away from sin and a turning -toward- God.

for a believer, a sin becomes a slap in the face of God because he knows better. this doesn't mean believers don't still struggle with sin: Lord knows, I do. but you can either let yourself control your life, or let God. When i do sin, it becomes my responsibility to confess that sin to God (though He knows about it...), and to repent from it; to turn away from it and surrender to Him.

For the hitlers of the world, and the child-molesters and the like, it is the same. However, i doubt you have to worry about seeing hitler in heaven. he died in the midst of a war created by his monstrosity, and probably still believing he was in the right. it's possible that before his death he realized his error and repented, but unlikely: if he had truly repented, he would have gone to lengths to correct his error. which he didn't.

#22 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:48 AM

What if you don't repent until the moment before your death? I mean, then you don't have the time, really, to correct past wrongs. then again, it better be one heck of a good repent otherwise God might think it's a last ditch effort before death.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#23 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:42 AM

Repentence is that ONE FLASH that you have! that is more than enough to break the Karmic Cycle.
Posted Image

#24 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:39 AM

repentance is not a question of words, but of heart. of intent. it is for this reason that i don't believe there are that many true "deathbed confessions" as it were. if one's repentance is nothing more than 'having ones bases covered,' then it simply didn't happen.

a lot of people see the christian version of salvation as a sort of cosmic key into heaven. chant the words and you're off.

God isn't interested in your words. He's interested in your heart, soul, mind and strength. in other words, He wants all of you, not just a signed statement.

in other words, ana, i think He can recognize true repentance from "a last-ditch effort." :)

#25 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

I believe that you could very well have visited on you what you have done to others. Maybe not exactly the same thing, but in equal measure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users