• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:36 PM

Good point and sound advice, ty. ;D I normally do the spell ON the day I'm thinking of doing it, and I guess in a way, that was probably doing it too much on impluse. I just can't seem to get past that whole, "So mote it be" thing in my head, lol, mostly because I DO believe in Karma, and so just want to have a 'safety net' underneath me if crap happens, lol. But I do see your point about crafting and thinking about the spell, making sure it has EVERYTHING I want in it. Do you have any recommendations on any spell books you have found really worked for you? Or are all your spells an 'original'? Just to note, I don't ever wish to do one of revenge...that just has too many bad connotations for me to handle gracefully I fear, lol, but yeah, spells to do with prosperity and success are what I'm really trying to find and focus on.

And yes, Ana, I do see the point behind your ramblings, lol. Crap can happen no matter what...and now I'm forced to blame MYSELF for screwing the spell up (THA-ANKS!), lol. But I seem to be getting that the message is 'try try again', lol, so yeah, will do! :)

#47 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:31 AM

Tsk tsk.... don't go looking in books for spells. You're a capable woman! Write it up yourself! lol. Then again, you know my stand on using the works of ANYone else where witchcraft is concerned. You lose something personal along the way if it's not written by your own hand (or computer... whatever floats your boat).

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#48 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:58 AM

Tsk tsk.... don't go looking in books for spells. You're a capable woman! Write it up yourself! lol. Then again, you know my stand on using the works of ANYone else where witchcraft is concerned. You lose something personal along the way if it's not written by your own hand (or computer... whatever floats your boat).

Ana

Exactly!   :D

I never use spells out of books, or if I do, I use only the bare bones basics of them and tweak them to my own personal needs.

So many times I have been on message boards and have read posts by newbie witches in response to people asking for spells, and they have actually posted spells that were shown on Charmed and Sabrina the Teenage Witch!  LOL!

Correspondences are a very important part of spells, and what a lot of people do not realize is that correspondences are not one-size-fits-all.  

When I first started as a practicing witch (31 years ago) I read everything I could find on correspondences, and somehow it never felt right.  There would be references to "water elementals from the west" or "air elementals from the east".  I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas.  To me, the EAST represents water (with the Gulf being to the East), the west represents fire (with the desert and heat being to the West), the North represents air (lots of tornadoes to the North of us) and the South represents Earth.  What you say in your spells has to have meaning TO YOU in order for you to be able to raise energy correctly.  The same thing applies to colors and herbs that are used in spells.  Although a book might say it's for one thing, if it means something else to you, then you need to use it for what it means to YOU.  It's impossible to raise energy if there's any question in your mind as to WHY you're doing something the way you are, and IMO, it's just pointless to do a spell if all you're doing is parrotting someone else's words.  There has to be an understanding of what each phrase in the spell means, and not just a repeating of a catch little rhyme.

I have a lot of newbies to witchcraft who email me and ask me to critique their spells for them.  The biggest problem, aside from using someone else's correspondences is they get too flowery and drawn out with their spells.  A spell should be short enough that it can be chanted like a mantra.  It should be said repeatedly while you are raising energy, building up to the release of the spell.  If a spell is like a poem with three or four (or even more, in some cases) verses, you're never going to be able to chant it enough times to build up enough steam to have any energy decent enough to release the spell.  

The other big problem I see with some home-made spells is that people tend to ASK for things, even though they might not realize it.  They'll say things like "PLEASE bring my love to me", or "I pray that the Goddess will help me".  The worst phrase that could be inserted into a spell is "and let it harm none."  That's probably the biggest spell-killer of all time.  When you do a spell, you're not ASKING for anything, you're DEMANDING that it happen.  Even if it's the most benign spell you can imagine, you're still doing it because you WANT it to happen, not because you're asking permission for it to happen.  Even in a love spell that doesn't target a specific person, you don't want to say things like "PLEASE bring a love to me."  You need to say "A love WILL COME to me" or words to that effect.  

Writing and critiquing spells is probably one of my favorite things to do, because it's the one area where almost all witches who don't cast often or who don't cast successfully a good percentage of the time have a problem.  If done constructively and tactfully, it builds up a witch's confidence tremendously to be able to go from sometimes having a spell work, to knowing before you even start that it's going to work because you have all the wrinkles ironed out right out of the box.   :)

Elle

#49 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

I live in Michigan... I have water in three of my four quarters. lol. But I see your point. In much the same way you described your take on correspondences, paths such as NAtive American religions are very similar.

And thank you, thank you, thank you, for bringing up more appropriate wording such as "I WILL get a job" and not "please give me one". lol. That is so important, and yet many consider such a small change... too small to bother with half the time.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#50 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:17 PM

I live in Michigan... I have water in three of my four quarters. lol. But I see your point. In much the same way you described your take on correspondences, paths such as NAtive American religions are very similar.

And thank you, thank you, thank you, for bringing up more appropriate wording such as "I WILL get a job" and not "please give me one". lol. That is so important, and yet many consider such a small change... too small to bother with half the time.

Ana

You're welcome.   :)

Yup.  Just one little word - PLEASE - can change the entire intent of a spell from an order to a request.  The purpose of a spell is to bring about results, it's not an exercise in politeness.   :D

Elle

#51 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

Oooo, good point on "I WILL"  That is the show of intent or will.  That's the internal power.  That's will power.  You have that with utter faith in it, and you're on the right path for success.  I think "I Intend" is also a good phrase to use.  
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#52 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:37 PM

A friend told me once that there is no such thing as Black Magic or White Magic....it all depends on how you use it.  I always thought of Voodoo as an "evil" and "black" magick until I was best friends with a guy in college who was a voodoo priest and he was the nicest guy you could ever meet, and he used his magick for only good.

So, it is isn't the magock that is black or white, but the spell's purpose or the purpose/path of the person.  To say that Wicca is white magick and Voodoo is black (just for examples, take no offense) is wrong.  Wicca could be used for both or Voodoo could be used for both.

I don't know how well this theory holds up, but it is one that I like.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#53 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

In all honesty, you can't even catagorize the PERSON as a practitioner of white or black magick. You could have a witch do spell work that only consists of positive things, yet this person goes home and beats their children. There usually is a natural balance within people, or there should be. It's a matter of finding that center, the even medium, and working from there.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#54 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

In all honesty, you can't even catagorize the PERSON as a practitioner of white or black magick. You could have a witch do spell work that only consists of positive things, yet this person goes home and beats their children. There usually is a natural balance within people, or there should be. It's a matter of finding that center, the even medium, and working from there.

Ana

The intent of the spell is everything.  

Look at it this way...
Someone has it in for you for whatever reason.  You have no idea why, but they do.  They are doing workings against you, but you have no desire to smite them back, however you want to protect yourself from whatever they fling your way.  So you do a spell to repel whatever they send to you back to them.  They become the victims of their own spell, but it's at your hands.  If you want to classify magick as black or white, in this case you have done black magick because you have sent harmful magick back toward someone.  But you did it to protect yourself.  So how would you classify it?  Protection and shielding is not harmful.  However whatever bounces off of it and goes back in the direction it came from might be.  But you didn't intend to harm anyone, you were protecting yourself and your own.  This is also a good example of why there is no such thing as "harm none" in magick.  Even in a protection/shielding spell, something stands a chance of getting harmed.

Elle

#55 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:43 AM

Y'know, ecto, I have to give you props for that example...it's made me see your point a lot more clearly than in your other posts in the past (not to say that you DIDN'T make any sense then, lol, please don't mistake me), and I totally see where you're coming from now. In the end, I gather that as long as you are prepared for whatever consequences (good OR bad), then spells are just like everything else in life...whatever it is you make of it, and there IS no real lofty or even pristine aspect of spellcasting as it comes from a HUMAN, who is a mass of contradictions ranging from the saintly to the devilish, lol. Anyhoo, for what it's worth, ty for this example...it's made me rethink a few long held views from the past.

#56 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:33 AM

it all depends on what exactly is the intent. what exactly do you require to see.
Posted Image

#57 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:06 AM

Y'know, ecto, I have to give you props for that example...it's made me see your point a lot more clearly than in your other posts in the past (not to say that you DIDN'T make any sense then, lol, please don't mistake me), and I totally see where you're coming from now. In the end, I gather that as long as you are prepared for whatever consequences (good OR bad), then spells are just like everything else in life...whatever it is you make of it, and there IS no real lofty or even pristine aspect of spellcasting as it comes from a HUMAN, who is a mass of contradictions ranging from the saintly to the devilish, lol. Anyhoo, for what it's worth, ty for this example...it's made me rethink a few long held views from the past.

I'm glad I was able to clarify it for you.   :)

Elle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users