• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:17 PM

When you hear the term 'black magick', do you automatically assume it is a negative practice, the 'Left Hand Path', and pictures of Aliester Crowley and Anton LeVay flash through your head?

I've conversed with quite a number of people who have practiced what is typically known as 'black magick' and, to be honest, it's not all that it's been hyped up to be. It doesn't necessarily suggest cursing people and Black Mass and so forth and so on. The practice of a darker brand of magick is just that... darker. Sometimes, especially in the modern Pagan community, we've fluff-bunnied the traditions. Everything is bright and happy and carefree. Even the holiday of Samhain is sometimes taken with a light heart, when it should be a time of respectful remorse.

Of course, I prefer the term Gothic Paganism, but what is your take on Black Magick?

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:21 AM

I've come across a number of books in recent years that explore that very type of darker magic, ritual and worship that you describe.  Not bought any yet as everytime I discover one, I don't have enough cash to buy it!  :)

I think perhaps that modern Pagans are forgetting the balance.  As a Pagan following a Celtic Path (as best as one can, given the way what little information has come down to us...), I understand this darker side.  In Morrigan is one perfect example.  She's a much darker Goddess than say, my own Matron Diety, Brighid (although Brighid has her own darkness as well...).  But I respect her (you'd be a fool not too!).  She embodies War, among other things, in several of her aspects, and yet also can be percieved as Fertility as well.

I think the Fluffy Bunny aspect of much of modern Wiccan and Neo-Paganism stems from an attempt to steer away from such backlash and stigma as say, Satanism and the perceptions that found solid root during the Burning Times.  

I do an occassional glimpse into 'Black Magic', but do not yet have what I feel to be a firm understanding of it.  But I see no reason why we should turn our backs on the darker aspects of our various Paths.  It's all about balance and respect.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

I kind of understand what you're saying---endless sweetness and light IME usually leads to the nastier side of human nature coming out in a backhanded way that can be much worse than when it is openly accepted...OTOH, I don't know what would be considered 'dark' in magick that isn't actually about hurting and cursing people.  I guess some people might think it morbid that I've an interest in talking to( and sometimes make symbolic offerings to) certain dead people in a friendly way as though they were still alive, but that's all I can think of that I would want to do that might be considered dark and it doesn't seem so to me, so I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you're talking about.  Personally I'm not fond of the term Gothic Paganism as it implies an intrinsic connection between two sincerely important but unrelated aspects of my lifestyle.  ( Well, the weird chronic synchronicity with Rozz makes a connection between the two, but that's just my personal thing, not a 'path' per se! :) )
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#4 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

I've always been under the impression that 'black' magick is just a form of pure selfishness. You do magick simply to enhance your own life, REGARDLESS of the fact that it could and will harm others. Of course I don't hold selfishness, per se, as a bad thing, lol, just that it can IF one uses it despite knowing it will hurt others. Instead of dealing with the wrongs handed to one in a more circumvent way, people strike out in anger and hostility, and use revenge...and really the only person they are REALLY hurting is themselves.

As for the fluffy bunny approach to the more darker aspects of paganism, I do agree wtih ana. There are certain times that a somber tone is needed in order to show respect...although I won't rule out any opportunities to get free candy! ;D

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:55 PM

mmmmmmmmmm....free candy..... <drools>

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

Hey, I'm all FOR doing magick that is self-serving. As a matter of fact, there isn't much magick that is stronger and works better than that which you create for yourself for the reasons you most desire. And sometimes, consequences be damned, is my opinion. I gotta look out for me every once in a while.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#7 natas

natas

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:20 PM

hmmm Black Magic, sweet subject but it all depends on who's behalf you are talking about.
The gates of Hell are open, night and day;Smooth the descent, and easy is the way.

#8 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:27 PM

Pick one and share your beliefs. lol
Don't be a newt!

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:04 AM

yes, Black Magick reminds me of the DARK practices. It is in all cultures. Invoking the negative entities.
Posted Image

#10 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:05 AM

Ah, but without the negative AND positive, we'd have no balance.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:13 AM

yes, that IS THE truth. but balancing apart, I have heard that negative practices also brings about hardships for the people who actually DO THE rituals.
Posted Image

#12 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:06 AM

Well, I look at it this way.... I may do a spell that seems selfish in nature, but my intention is not to harm others... it is simply selfishness that makes it "negative". Now, wether or not it actually DOES harm others is just a consequence of my actions, but my intentions were still about ME, and not to hurt others. I don't think hardships are visited upon people simply because they aim for something for themselves.

Plus, I had hardships LONG before I ever began doing spells of a darker nature. If I'm going to have hardships, at least I can occasionally make something happen for myself, others be damned, and say "So there!" lol.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:42 AM

Even something as simple as a basic money spell could be seen as dark magic.  After all, one is doing the spell in order to attract more money to themselves.  And yet that person means no harm to anyone else.

When I think of magic that's just plain bad, I think of working magic that will cause serious harm to an enemy.  That's where I myself draw the line if I can help it.  But doing things selfishly (as in...bringing energy/luck/love/money....whatever) to myself then I'll do it.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 natas

natas

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

well as for me I am a Traditional Satanist
The gates of Hell are open, night and day;Smooth the descent, and easy is the way.

#15 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:21 PM

And what is traditional Satanism?
Don't be a newt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users