9 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua

Joshua

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hey everyone,

We have plans to purchase a new camcorder soon and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I'm interested in hearing your experiences with MiniDV, Hi-8, and HDD formats. Pros? Cons? Just plain hate a certain product? We want to know!

And what's your preference, IR or Thermocouple thermometers?
Joshua W.Co-FounderOhio Society for Paranormal Investigation

#2 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Only suggestion I have is don't get drawn in by Sony's Super Niteshot. Yes it does intensify the ability to capture light but film quality suffers quite a bit. Niteshot is good enough by itself with an exterior IR illuminator.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#3 NUPS_Jennifer

NUPS_Jennifer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

I bought a Sony DCR-SR42 Harddrive camcorder a few months ago. I'm really happy with it. It's really easy to use and I love not having to worry about tapes. The night shot is not super, but with an IR it's awesome. And the price isn't bad either. :)
Posted Image

#4 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

I bought a Sony DCR-SR42 Harddrive camcorder a few months ago. I'm really happy with it. It's really easy to use and I love not having to worry about tapes. The night shot is not super, but with an IR it's awesome. And the price isn't bad either. :)

I must agree with Jennifer. I also bought the SR42. I think I paid $499 on sale about one year ago.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#5 giaps

giaps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

My team has bought several reconditioned and used Sony Hi8s on ebay. They've all run perfectly and have nightshot. They've ranged in price from 100 to 130. No reason to spend a ton of money.....unless you have it to spend.

#6 giaps

giaps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

I must agree with Jennifer. I also bought the SR42. I think I paid $499 on sale about one year ago.

Hmmmm.....like I said before, if you don't have a lot of money to spend, no reason to spend so much. For a lot less money than $500 you can get a 160gb, 4ch, standalone dvr with motion detection, loss of video alarm, and time / event locating.....AND 4 IR cams. I spent $400 for the set up I just described. And, it came with driver and application (viewer) software so that I can plug the dvr directly into my computer via a provided USB cable, and render any section of video from the hard drive to avi or mpeg format instantly.

#7 CASEY WELLS

CASEY WELLS

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

SONY HDR-HC3 IS EXCELLENT BUT A LITTLE PRICEY, FROM 600.00 - 1100.00.
SONY DCR-HC96 IS ANOTHER GREAT CAMCORDER AND GOOD BUY. RANGES FROM 400.00 - 600.00. HAS A BUILT IN HOT SHOE FOR EXTERNAL MICS OR THE POPULAR SONY HVL HIRL IR/LIGHT ATTACHMENT, WHICH FOR THE MONEY (65.00), IS A GREAT ADDITION TO THE CAMCORDER
Under the wide and open sky, dig the grave and let me lie;Gladly i've lived and gladly die, away from this world of strife;This be the epitaph for me- "Here he lies where he longed to be, lies in death by the nineteenth tee, where he lied all his life"

#8 spctr1

spctr1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Anything Sony. We've had good luck with several Sony brand cameras but I think if you can afford it, the tapeless/hard drive cameras are the way to go!

Anyone know of any other cameras besides Sony with nightshot?

#9 Karen@DPI

Karen@DPI

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

Recently got a JVC Everio MG21, I do prefer the sony range but this little camcorder is pretty good and does include night vision and super night vision, depending on how you look at it would depend on how you feel about the lighting, normal nightvision leaves a little to be desired and super night vision runs everything in slow motion, it is handy when capturing any anomalies but I would recommend and IR lamp etc to use with it. 20gb HDD, max 99 hours record time, Auto splits files into DVD size, remote control and get about two and a half hours from the battery.

#10 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Anyone have experience with Panasonic cams?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users