• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 descendentoffrey

descendentoffrey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

does anyone here know how long their family "religion" has been in the family.  
Those who did not learn from history are doomed to repeat it

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:11 PM

In my family, I have the following ethnic linage (I'm being 'trained' so to speak to pick up as the family genealogist by my great uncle)...Irish, Scottish, English, French, Dane.

As far as my family records show, the Catholics have been Catholic I guess since the Church reached Ireland.  The Anglicans have been Anglican since Henry VIII split with Rome to marry Anne Boylen (the English branch of my family), and the various Protestant lines converted from Catholism around the time Martin Luther set the wheels in motion.  I have evidence of the French branch fleeing to England after the Massacre of St. Bartholomew in 1572.

Me, as far as I know, I am the only Pagan in the various family lines.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

[glow=blue,2,300][move]Hullo, Descendentoffrey and welcome to GV ;D[/move][/glow]

About 100 years or so, my Great-Grandparents on both sides of the family were Muslims who's children converted to Christianity
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#4 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:14 PM

as far as i know, i'm half german, half irish. very boring. lol anyways, as far back as i know (about the 1800's) my family's always been catholic. and like vampchick, i'm the only pagan. oh and my aunt's lutheran but she converted after she got married. otherwise, that's it
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:15 PM

Muslim to Christian?  That's very interesting!  Was there a spiritual reason for the conversion or a 'necessary' reason?  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:22 PM

does anyone here know how long their family "religion" has been in the family.

We've been Christian since before 1,000 AD.

Joseph Smith, Jr, founded the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1830.  My 3rd and 4th great-grandparents met him that same year and were baptized two years later.  I have progenitors mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants (one of 4 volumes of Scripture).

My native line converted to Christianity in the 17th and 18th centuries.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:24 AM

Catholic as far back as anyone knows. I'm the first with Pagan tendencies in many many years.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#8 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:58 AM

Welcome descendentoffrey ;D

As far as I know its been Catholic but my grandmother and great grandmother on my mothers side are Wiccan, as am I
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#9 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:09 AM

Hi, Vampchick21,
*LOL*I wish it was some sort of special significance, a burning bush or something of the sort, they simply moved to more Christian countries, my maternal Grandfather to the US<they didn't want to stand out as being different>and
me Da's ancestor moved from Syria to Lebanon, both are predominantly Muslim countries, but Lebanon's President was Christian.

This has little to do with religion or spirituality, but how many of you are second or first generation Americans and know little or nothing of your ethnic culture/language from growing up? Speaking for myself, my Da moved to the US when he was 8, Arabic was not spoken, even with relatives from the Middle East and he insisted on using the Anglocized names<Nabih has a lot more OOMPH than Bill>we ate mainly American food, ya know?
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

:)

With my own ethic background (listed above...lol), the language is mainly English anyway (with the exception of my Irish heritage, but no one that I know of on either side of the pond actually speaks Irish).  Being Canadian, I also was taught French, although I admit to murdering the language every time I attempt it.  I know that another branch of my O'Sullivan line moved to New York City at one point and dropped the 'O'.

As for Generational Canadian, this is where it gets very confusing.  One branch of my family ( the line I'm directly linked to with my maiden name) has been in Canada for 200 years (arrived as colonists).  But my father is the Irish born son of an Irish War Bride.  My mother's line too has her mother's people here a good 100 years or so, but her father arrived from England at the age of 16 in 1929.  So I think technically I'm considered an 8 or something like that generation Canadian.

Here's something interesting, at least to me.  It strikes me (simply observation and I could be way off base) that when a family immigrates to the US, they tend within a generation to shed their ethic roots (language, dress, traditions, etc), and hence the "Melting Pot".  In Canada, I know several 2nd and 3rd generation Canadians that still speak their native language, wear traditional dress, etc, etc, while enjoying Canadian traditions, language and dress at the same time.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:29 AM

I never even tried to look it up. Do you know if it costs and if so how much. It would be interesting to find out who I am really related to.
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

Genealogical search?  First, be fair warned.  It's an addictive hobby :)

Now, cost depends on a lot of things.  I've had to pay small amounts here and there to national archives in England, Ireland and Scotland to dig up vital stat records.   But I do much of my own legwork.  If you want a professional genealogist to do the work for you, yes, you'd have to pay for that, cost depends on the genealogist.

If you go to http://www.cyndislist.com it should help you out.  If you decide to start working on your family tree on your own, start with yourself, then your parents, grandparents, etc...working back.  But the Cyndi's List site should help you, lots of good tips and info there.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:45 PM

Gosh, I wouldn't even know what religion anyone is.  I know that my mom went to a catholic school in elementary years, and that my grandma was catholic.  I know that my great-grandmother on grandpa's side went to a catholic boarding school in Canada in the 1800's.  My family on mom's side is Irish and Canadian-French.  I have a family tree all the way back to the 1600's with the first French to go to Canada, but what religion they all were I have no idea.

I was raised Lutheran but have not attended church except for weddings and funerals since I was 10.  I have no religion, thought I do like what I have learned about Wiccan.  I tend to make up my own prayers that are directed at no god or goddess, I wish on stars and pennies and birthday candles.  Some would call me an atheist, but I don't consider myself that becasue an atheist has strong convictions about NOT believing in any God or Devil (as far as I know) and I don't know what I believe.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:05 AM

we have been Hindus for over 800 years of known history ;D and still are - except me the rebel lol (I have my own set of belief's but based on Hinduism)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users