#16 CASEY WELLS

CASEY WELLS

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME
Under the wide and open sky, dig the grave and let me lie;Gladly i've lived and gladly die, away from this world of strife;This be the epitaph for me- "Here he lies where he longed to be, lies in death by the nineteenth tee, where he lied all his life"

#17 HighlandsParanormal

HighlandsParanormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Does it have to be copper screening ? cant you go to a craft store and buy some sheets of copper used for crafts and just load it up with holes ? Im looking to make one of these myself, i was going to make a wooden box frame and then cover it with the copper and then add a to connect a grounding wire to it with a clip on one end of the wire to ground it to either an outlet or pipe or something. Would this work ?

Im going to Waverly Hills in august and would like to bring a few of these along to try out.. If you have any suggestions or if im going about building it wrong could you let me know :wave: ?

Thanks

-Curt
Posted Image

#18 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Does it have to be copper screening ? cant you go to a craft store and buy some sheets of copper used for crafts and just load it up with holes ? Im looking to make one of these myself, i was going to make a wooden box frame and then cover it with the copper and then add a to connect a grounding wire to it with a clip on one end of the wire to ground it to either an outlet or pipe or something. Would this work ?

Im going to Waverly Hills in august and would like to bring a few of these along to try out.. If you have any suggestions or if im going about building it wrong could you let me know :) ?

Thanks

-Curt

Hello Curt...

No, it does not have to be copper screen... The research I've done says it can be any conductive metal... Brass would be the best, copper 2nd, and aluminum 3rd... I'm not so sure about taking a copper sheet and punching holes in it... The point of using screen is because of the space of the holes... The smaller the holes, the better to block out the frequency wave of radio and RF signals... Plus, the sound comming through the screen won't be muffled as much as if you just put a sheet of copper and punched holes in it... That's why it's best to use screen...

The box also needs to be double layered, however the two layers cannot touch and the outside layer has to be grounded... Grounding it to a pipe or sticking the wire in a socket is a BAD idea... If you're going to plug it in, you need to connect the ground wire to a plug that goes into an outlet... But you need be very careful so you don't accidentally send power to the cage and electricute (bad spelling) yourself...

I am going to start working on a box this weekend... I will post a description and some pictures during my progress so stay tuned...

Joven
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#19 HighlandsParanormal

HighlandsParanormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Im going to Waverly Hills in august and would like to bring a few of these along to try out.. If you have any suggestions or if im going about building it wrong could you let me know :) ?

Thanks

-Curt

Hello Curt...

No, it does not have to be copper screen... The research I've done says it can be any conductive metal... Brass would be the best, copper 2nd, and aluminum 3rd... I'm not so sure about taking a copper sheet and punching holes in it... The point of using screen is because of the space of the holes... The smaller the holes, the better to block out the frequency wave of radio and RF signals... Plus, the sound comming through the screen won't be muffled as much as if you just put a sheet of copper and punched holes in it... That's why it's best to use screen...

The box also needs to be double layered, however the two layers cannot touch and the outside layer has to be grounded... Grounding it to a pipe or sticking the wire in a socket is a BAD idea... If you're going to plug it in, you need to connect the ground wire to a plug that goes into an outlet... But you need be very careful so you don't accidentally send power to the cage and electricute (bad spelling) yourself...

I am going to start working on a box this weekend... I will post a description and some pictures during my progress so stay tuned...

Joven

Cool a double layered box should be simple to build with some balsa wood or thin wood trim and hot glue ( the strong hot glue not the craft stuff lol ).. I was going to make a 6in x 6in box just to put my recorder into.. With grounding i didnt mean stick the wire into the outlet itself .. But to the center screw that holds the face plate on, those are grounded. or into the ground hole on a 3 hole outlet , thats what i would ground myself to while building computer boards to drain the static electric from my body, it was a wrist band we wore that pluged into the third hole. Pipes in homes all should be grounded as well so thats why i was saying ground to a pipe..
I look forward to seeing what you come up with :hug:

-Curt
Posted Image

#20 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

Well, construction has begun and I should be finished by this weekend... I will upload pictures in a few days to show my progress...

Edited by Joven76, 28 January 2008 - 12:24 PM.

PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#21 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

Did you take pics during the construction process as well?..... glad to here things are coming along.... must have been a productive weekend!

peace...
Yes.... I've gone behind the camera"s"..... as well as recording audio........ Love....Breed peace.....

#22 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

Unfortunately, it wasn't that productive... My daughter has been fighting Strep Throat all weekend so it was spent taking care of her and cleaning the house, but I was able to work on it some last night...

There wasn't much to the construction process though... All I've done so far is cut the wood to the legnths I need... I need to do some measuring and marking, but I will probably begin to assemble the box today, I just need to charge my drill when I get home... LOL

After I purchased the wood I needed and cut the legnths, I had to redesign it a little bit... But I like this new design much better... I'll explain a little later... I'll try to take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow...

Joven

Posted Image

#23 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

Ok, I know I promised pictures, but... well.... A master carpenter I am not... After cutting the wood to the legnths I need, I proceeded to drill pilot holes for the screws...

Well... It's obvious I cannot drill straight because none of my holes lined up... :Wall: So nothing is flush and no amount of sanding will help... So it's back to the hardware store for more wood...

I'm going to use glue from now on!!! And as for clamping the wood together, well I knew my dumbell weights would come in handy for something sooner or later... LOL

Posted Image

#24 HighlandsParanormal

HighlandsParanormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Ok, I know I promised pictures, but... well.... A master carpenter I am not... After cutting the wood to the legnths I need, I proceeded to drill pilot holes for the screws...

Well... It's obvious I cannot drill straight because none of my holes lined up... :Wall: So nothing is flush and no amount of sanding will help... So it's back to the hardware store for more wood...

I'm going to use glue from now on!!! And as for clamping the wood together, well I knew my dumbell weights would come in handy for something sooner or later... LOL

Use a hot glue gun , there are glue sticks of different strength just get the strongest made for wood crafts... Thats all i was going to use.. just some thin modling strip wood and the strongest glue stick i can find .. Once you cover it with the copper mesh that will give it extra hold as well and be pretty much one solid box...
You should be able to use the wood you got now too , just take it all apart and glue it :)
:Wall:

Edited by HighlandsParanormal, 29 January 2008 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

I am actually planning on using Gorilla Glue to bond it, then use the weight from my dumbells to press everything together...

I looked at using 3/4 x 3/4 trim, but everything I found at Lowes was really warped, so I used something different...

Posted Image

#26 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

It's ok if the first attempt is a little rough going, Chris.... I'm sure you are getting much out of the experience, as are we ....... because you are taking the time to share your journey with us..... rather truthfully, I might add!!!...... the point is you are putting forth the effort..... and that is a blessing in itself.... hope your daughter is feeling better....

peace...
Yes.... I've gone behind the camera"s"..... as well as recording audio........ Love....Breed peace.....

#27 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

She is doing quite well now Peepers... Thanks... But now I fear Purplebutter is comming down with something... Not good... But I don't mind taking care of the women in my life... LOL

Good news... Today was payday so again I was off to Lowes... Bought more wood, gorilla glue, screen, a plug, wire, hinges... The woods been cut and I have assembled the grounding plug... I begin construction again tomorrow... And I'll take pictures this time... LOL...

Till tomorrow... or Saturday... Wish me luck and most importantly, PRAY!!!!

:whee:

Edited by Joven76, 31 January 2008 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image

#28 HighlandsParanormal

HighlandsParanormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

She is doing quite well now Peepers... Thanks... But now I fear Purplebutter is comming down with something... Not good... But I don't mind taking care of the women in my life... LOL

Good news... Today was payday so again I was off to Lowes... Bought more wood, gorilla glue, screen, a plug, wire, hinges... The woods been cut and I have assembled the grounding plug... I begin construction again tomorrow... And I'll take pictures this time... LOL...

Till tomorrow... or Saturday... Wish me luck and most importantly, PRAY!!!!

:whee:

Cant wait to see what ya come up with.. Will you make like a little how too write up ? I really want to make a couple of these... What kind of screen did you pick up ? Good luck with the build , cant wait to see it :)
Posted Image

#29 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

Good Luck!!!! .... and passing a few "Hail Mary"-s your way..... lol....

p.s.: Please send Purplebutter my best...

#30 Lizard King

Lizard King

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests: <br />

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

This is going to be cool!, :wave: I'm really excited about this Sir, and have noticed there are some other examples of home Faraday Box fabrications out there a web search revealed.

TLK

Posted Image

university version:
Posted Image

Faraday Cage and Radio
ID # 169

Description:

The lecturer has a battery operated radio which is turned on and playing music. When the radio is placed inside the Faraday cage (a box with walls of wire mesh), the radio waves are stopped by the wire screen of the cage, and hence never make it to the antenna of the radio. The result is white noise and static heard from the radio. When the radio is taken out of the Faraday cage, the radio plays music again. The cage door must be closed to completely block the radio waves.

source:
demo.physics.uiuc.edu/lectdemo/scripts/demo_d...

Edited by Lizard King, 02 February 2008 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users