Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

~Why Do People Stereotype Us All The Time?~

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 25 March 2002 - 12:15 AM

:)i have a question. what is the differnce between wicca and devil worshipping and witchcraft?
what is evil and what is good?

#32 Cindy

Cindy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 04:28 AM

Here is a great definition of Wicca courtesy of ..Pandora on another post...

The Wiccan Religion  
Wicca is...  

The word "Witchcraft" dates back many hundreds of years and means literaly "The craft of the wise". This is because the Witches of old were the wise ones of their village, knowledgable in the art of healing, legal matters, and spiritual fulfillment. A Witch had to not only be a religious leader, but also the doctor, lawyer and psychologist of the villiage.  

Today, people have reclaimed this word in their pursuit of Wiccan religion. A Witch is an initiate of Wicca, one who has earned the right to call themselves Priest, or Priestess, through study, self evaluation, and spiritual living. Wicca itself, is an attempt to re-create European (mostly) Shamanistic Nature Religion, adapting it to fit our modern lives.  

Witches are worshippers of the Earth and it's many cycles. We believe that deity is found not only outside of our realm, or plane of existance, but that it is found within every living thing and all that supports it. Therefore, we attempt to live in harmony with the Earth, and each of it's creatures. Wiccan tend to involve themselves with ecological pursuits.  

Wiccans observe the holidays of Pagan Europe: Eight festivals spaced evenly about the wheel of the year, at the quarters (equinox's and solstices) and the cross-quarters (midpoints between the equinox's and solstices). They are called: Yule (Dec 21), Imbolc (Feb 2), Lady Day (March 21), Beltaine (May 1), Midsummer (June 21), Lughnassad (Aug 1), Mabon (Sept 21), and Samhain (Oct 31). Actual dates vary slightly from year to year, as they are based upon actual celestial events. Many Wiccans also celebrate the Full Moon, of which we have 13 per year.  

The basis for Wiccan moral conduct is found in the statement; "An Ye Harm None, Do What Thou Wilt." This is a mock archaic phrase, suggesting that any behavior that harms none, is morally acceptable. Harm is here defined by anything that takes away, or works against an individual's free will. It is, of course, impossible to exist, or even cease to exist, without causing harm, so Wiccans look to fullfil this as closely as possible. A Wiccan attempts to make choices based on what will cause the least harm, and promote the greatest overrall positive effect.  

Wicca teaches self discipline, personal responsibility, kinship with our planet and its creatures, open-mindedness and the virtues of diversity. Wiccans do not proselytize, as we believe that each must find the path that is right for them, and tht all religions are different paths to the same truths. We draw our beliefs and practices from our own experiences, and that of others, understanding that age does not make a religion any more valid, nor does political support, numbers of followers, or material holdings of it's temple. Religion is a very personal thing, one which can only be validated by the experiences of the individual. Wicca provides a link for those who follow similiar paths to share their experiences

~*Lifes Blessings*~ ~*Cindy*~

#33 Cindy

Cindy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 04:34 AM

As for Devil worshiping...do you mean Satanism?

The dofrrence between good and evil is to me a matter of personal belief.Whats evil or good to one person may not be to another..Use your own judgement.

Witchcraft..lol..funny word isnt it.Wiccan's cast spells and I believe Satanists do so .J uan would be the person to ask about that.Im really not educated enough to speak about it..

However to those life practices "witchcraft" as you called it or the casting of spells is typical of the practice.Much like praying in other formed beliefs,saying the roseary or confession I suppose..

Theres a post on the board about suggested reading material..I suggest you read it .You might find a good book  that will help answer some of your q's.

~*Lifes Blessings*~ ~*Cindy*~

#34 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:paranormal research, writing, art, photography, psychology, movies, good books, good music, travel.. anything that keeps my life interesting!<br /><br />

Posted 25 March 2002 - 02:03 PM

black widow,
 I know Cindy covered it, i just thought i'd chime in. LOL
 Wicca is a type of witchcraft, a 'white magic' so-to-speak. It's very good. The basic beliefs are very moral principles, such as only doing magic to help others, never to bring harm.
 There's also black magic, which is mainly self-gratification at any costs. I guess you could say white magic is giving, and black magic is taking.
 Devil worshipping had it's own category...
"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

• Guests

Posted 25 March 2002 - 10:19 PM

:-/Well that answers part of my question but the reason why im asking is because i have a reletive who was really into witchcraft and devil worship and all that and he said once that he met a real witch and he would brag about it.
he also used to play the ouija board all the time.
anyway i remember him saying that she was going to make him famous and other wierd things.
but then all of a sudden he ended up in the hospital totally freaked out of his head saying that the witch tricked him.it was very strange.
the doctors said he was having a nervous breakdown.but i seriously believe there was more to it.
hes ok now but hes not exactly the same.
but thanks for explaining.

#36 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:paranormal research, writing, art, photography, psychology, movies, good books, good music, travel.. anything that keeps my life interesting!<br /><br />

Posted 26 March 2002 - 03:58 PM

huh.. interesting.
 He definitely could have had a breakdown. that part may not be in question.
 It could be that he just got into something deeper than he thought. the people I've known who get involved with any type of 'black magic' tend to learn the hard way that nothing good ever comes from something bad. That's why i personally believe in Wicca. Everything you do (i.e. spells, actions, etc) has repercussions, usually sumed up as 'the rule of three": whatever you giveout comes back threefold.
 i do feel sorry for your relative, but at the same time, he learned a valuable lesson, though at a high price.
"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

#37 roaryblue

roaryblue

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 12:57 PM

I know how you feel.  I have felt angry and wanted to, but cooler heads (and the Rede prevailed), and instead I asked for people to be more open minded and less critical of what they don't understand.

At the very least, it's made me feel better!

Brightest Blessings!
Roaryblue 8)

#38 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 04:09 PM

The wicked witch of the west was framed!!
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

• Guests

Posted 04 September 2002 - 10:03 PM

What I was taught about Wicca is that we dont believe in satan. To believe in something gives it power. Satan is part of the Christian pantheon and is counter-productive to what we do.......and that is to heal. Some believe that satan was brought about as a means for "crowd control". For the record, Ive been a pagan for the last 25 years, and the last 2 years studying Druidism. Satanists are not pagans and that sometimes is confusing for some folks. Casting spells on ppl who are ignorant of your spiritual beliefs or lifestyle can be quite tempting :(. Try to heal them instead, if you must cast something, make it a good thing. It will probably save you from alot of headaches and frustration, and as long as  you are strong in your beliefs, who cares what others think. Just smile and go about your business. However, if you have reason to believe that someone intends to harm you or someone you love.....bind their a$$ :(. Ok, didnt intend to go on and on....hope some of this helps.

Juan, I dont believe in satan......but I am a strong believer in freedom of religion, and that means any religion  ;). We are all on our own paths.      

Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again :D

Rhiannon

#40 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 08:38 PM

Val...You go Girl :D
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#41 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 05:45 PM

People who sterotype probably are just scared because they don't know about wicca. I believe that if they would get information on teh metter it might help. But anyway, don't let what other people say get you down about anything no matter if it is your religion, hair color, so on and so on. As long as you have family and friends and a good mind it won't matter what other people say. ;D You will always come out on top.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

#42 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 18 September 2002 - 06:02 PM

Exactly Christin.  ;D I actually had a playful argument on this same subject in the tattoo parlor this past Saturday! LOL!  :D

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#43 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:51 AM

really ;D

#44 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 23 September 2002 - 03:56 PM

yeah, the tatt artist there is a hottie!!!! whoo hoo!

really ;D

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#45 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 09:03 AM

Hotties are a good thing ;D LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic