Standin' at the crossroad, i tried to flag a ride
Didn't nobody semm to know me, everybody pass me by
Mmmm, the sun goin' down, boy, dark gon' catch me here
Oooo, eeee, boy, dark gon' catch me here
I haven't got no lovin' sweet woman that love and feel my care
You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
You can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
Lord i'm standin' at the crossroad, babe, i believe i'm sinkin' down

I guess this is after he made the deal with the devil and he regrets it. You're right Axman. A bit of research sound like a good idea.
Have you heard of this crossroads legend before personally? Have you ever hung out there at midnight?

Absolute Top Notch Song ! :Wall:

Robert Johnson absolute magician in his own right !

#17 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I agree with Puti, the crossroads is a metaphor for when we come to a point in our lives when we have to make a choice. The Crossroads represents many different things depending on your personal spiritual belief system.

According to one of the decks of cards and book I work with to do readings, called "The Well Worn Path," by Raven Grimassi and Stephanie Taylor, cards illustrated by Mickie Mueller, Crossroads simply means "You have arrived at a decision point.........you can remain where you are, but the greater call is to choose another road." This deck and book is based on Pagan and Wiccan beliefs where the crossroads represents that it is time to "take a leap of faith" and that change and transformation can create new opportunities for your life.

So unlike what the original topic is about, the crossroads represents a time to make a positive change is one's life. When this card comes up in a reading for someone, it invariably means they are on the threshhold of throwing out the old for something new and better. The other option is to do nothing and stay on the current path; but that will just stagnate a person.

I personally don't believe in a fiery hell, or that the devil can take your soul. It's like with anything, we all have free-will to make good choices for ourselves and bad choices. Maybe the "devil taking your soul" thing is about what happens in the end when we make selfish choices. That's not to say that we shouldn't want the best for ourselves, but we shouldn't make choices at the expense of others, or do things that hurt others. Does this make sense?

Anyway, my curiousity is piqued and I would like to check out that movie. Also, I believe the lyrics of the song speak a lot about the reality of life for a black man in The South during The Great Depression. That was a time when the KKK was very strong and the Jim Crow Laws banned black people from being out after dark among other injustices. How did Robert Johnson die?

Great topic, I hope others will chime in.

Edit: Here's the site where you can read about him and hear the Crossroads Blues.
http://www.robertjoh...on.org/Bio.html

Edited by Kira, 13 January 2008 - 04:24 PM.

The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#18 cia_says77

cia_says77

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Computers, reading, writing poetry and songs, knitting, crochet, and of course the paranormal

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

does an intersection count? I personally wouldn't try that. I never want to meet the devil!

I would like to point out that Satan was once God's finest angel created by God. What would he look like? An angel, I would imagine. One thing for certain, Satan cannot do anything without God's permission.

I believe that a demon has contacted me at one point in my life... and let me tell you I have a feeling that the devil will be a lot worse! Granted, I do think he would make himself look good if he wants to make you a deal to take your soul.

#19 cia_says77

cia_says77

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Computers, reading, writing poetry and songs, knitting, crochet, and of course the paranormal

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

I agree with Puti, the crossroads is a metaphor for when we come to a point in our lives when we have to make a choice. The Crossroads represents many different things depending on your personal spiritual belief system.

According to one of the decks of cards and book I work with to do readings, called "The Well Worn Path," by Raven Grimassi and Stephanie Taylor, cards illustrated by Mickie Mueller, Crossroads simply means "You have arrived at a decision point.........you can remain where you are, but the greater call is to choose another road." This deck and book is based on Pagan and Wiccan beliefs where the crossroads represents that it is time to "take a leap of faith" and that change and transformation can create new opportunities for your life.

So unlike what the original topic is about, the crossroads represents a time to make a positive change is one's life. When this card comes up in a reading for someone, it invariably means they are on the threshhold of throwing out the old for something new and better. The other option is to do nothing and stay on the current path; but that will just stagnate a person.

I personally don't believe in a fiery hell, or that the devil can take your soul. It's like with anything, we all have free-will to make good choices for ourselves and bad choices. Maybe the "devil taking your soul" thing is about what happens in the end when we make selfish choices. That's not to say that we shouldn't want the best for ourselves, but we shouldn't make choices at the expense of others, or do things that hurt others. Does this make sense?

Anyway, my curiousity is piqued and I would like to check out that movie. Also, I believe the lyrics of the song speak a lot about the reality of life for a black man in The South during The Great Depression. That was a time when the KKK was very strong and the Jim Crow Laws banned black people from being out after dark among other injustices. How did Robert Johnson die?

Edit: Here's the site where you can read about him and hear the Crossroads Blues.

He was poisoned when he drank an opened beer given to him at a club or something. Ironically, it is said that he died at a crossroad under a tree. Look him up on Wikipedia, thats were I got the info from.

#20 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

I believe that a demon has contacted me at one point in my life... and let me tell you I have a feeling that the devil will be a lot worse! Granted, I do think he would make himself look good if he wants to make you a deal to take your soul.

How he presents himself is your personal perception of him. Most people who think that Satan is a hideous beast with horns, cloven feet and a spiked tail are just influenced mostly by pop culture and "Dante's Inferno". God actually allows Satan to exist on earth, he is not yet confined to hell, God allows him to exist so we have a choice. You see God also gives us free will and Satan's temptation is will us all right now. We have a choice to resist the evil or follow the temptation that is presented. So you see, Satan himself is making a deal for your soul all the time, it's your choice to resist him.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#21 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hi Kira thanks for liking the topic I posted. I really was so intrigued when my friend mentioned the legend. It's fascinating and I will check out Mr. Robert Johnson some time and to all others who posted, Axman, cia, etc...the thing is that no one's tried or have been brave enough to go to the crossroads at midnight yet...lol...I'm to scared to... :Spaz: !

Whatever

#22 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

The crossroads is definitely figurative and not literal, as we stand at a crossroads everytime we have a very important life-changing decision to make. For example, changing careers, getting married, buying a home, leaving home to go to school or in search of work, all of those are life-changing events that take us out of our comfort zone. When we stand at the crossroads, we have to use intuition and listen to the little voice inside of us that tells us the right choice/road to take. We all hear it, but most of the time ignore it and make the choice that pleases our heart and not the logical one.

Axman, I also found another site by googling Robert Johnson that explains each stanza of the song. It's more about being alone, feeling invisible, not having the safety of a woman, as woman symbolizes protection and nurturing. There was also something about him fearing that the stranger/devil he was getting a ride from was going to take him to his death and he was asking him to tell his friend what happened so his family would know what became of him. I think the song symbolizes his fear of the new path he's about to follow. Just my opinion.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#23 peepers

peepers

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hey y'all!!! Sorry to come into this discussion late..... thought everyone may want to check out this site for Robert Johnson:

http://www.earlyblue...hnson_essay.htm

It is a well written, well researched, original biography of RJ that sheds more light on the legend and how he died..... Crossroads definitly has multiple meanings.... one being the juncture of where life meets death........ Hope you enjoy it!!!

peace...
Yes.... I've gone behind the camera"s"..... as well as recording audio........ Love....Breed peace.....

#24 Angel_Of_Darkness

Angel_Of_Darkness

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:I love to draw arts one of a passions, I like to write short stories and poems and I LOVE to read and of corse I love the paranormal.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

In the last few years I have been looking at a verity of beleafs and in found a lot of magic based religons use cross roads in magic work because of what they repersent.
I my self think that if you were to met the deil or whatever god you pray to that ithey would come to you how you think they would look if you veiw the devil as a big ugly guy with horns then it will aper to you as that if you pray to a male or female god/ess then thats what it would come to you as such.

Flash: (after the Javelin blows up) Do you have any idea what this is gonna do to our insurance premiums?(Being chased in the Batmobile by a possessed Superman)Terry: What's the top speed on this thing?Bruce: Mach 3. Terry: Is that faster than a speeding bullet?

#25 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

I'm still surprised no one here at the Village has actually gone to the crossroads at midnight curious to see what would happen.

Whatever

#26 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:36 AM

The only thing I'd likely find at a crossroads at midnight in my neighborhood is a crack dealer and some prostitutes.

#27 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

The only thing I'd likely find at a crossroads at midnight in my neighborhood is a crack dealer and some prostitutes.

Man I think I'd move!

In my place in the desert I'd probably find a Mohave Green rattlesnake or a coyote.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#28 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

:clap: :whee:

Whatever

#29 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Another song parody...

"I went down to the crossroads and I began to pay!"

#30 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

I didn't know about Robert Johnson's story until I watched 'O Brother Where Art Thou' - where the character Tommy Johnson is based on him. Some people who were explaining it to me were absolutely convinced the story was true - only way to explain his amazing way with music.

As for demons, my late father often said there is a constant battle around us - angels and demons and others fighting. Hard to say for sure - but it'd explain some tension in the air.

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users