• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:21 PM

Who is totally turned off by the thought of incorporating blood into your rituals and magicks? I've heard numerous Wiccans tell me that it's against all karmic laws to shed blood during ritual, your own or anyone elses. I, of course, am not of this frame of mind. Blood is the life force, and it's a very moving spiritual experience to shed ones own blood during ritual.

For my Samhain ritual last year, the Priest invoked the God and I the Goddess and we did a bloodletting, letting several drops of blood flow into the chalice to be passed around for libations. There were some who refused to drink, which was definitely an option. Others had no problem with partaking of the essence of the divine beings. I've also used blood in several spells as well, all with fantastic results.

How do you feel about incorporating blood work into your practices?

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#2 Cristelle32

Cristelle32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:17 AM

yucky, Ana!!!

I'm sure you had wonderful results but squeamish me doesn't know whether she'd be able to drink blood....!!!

btw, isn't it dangerous? I mean for trasmitted disease and the like?

#3 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:58 AM

Actually, unless you have open sores in your mouth, there is no risk at all. And, we all made sure that such medical tests were done beforehand, but anything in the blood is killed by the acids in the stomach.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:15 AM

Boy, but you put forth some thought provoking questions!  :P

I agree with something you've said in another topic on this board, much of the Wiccan and Neo-Pagan movement these days is rather on the Fluffy Bunny side of things...perhaps as a backlash towards the long standing negative view of the faiths by monotheistic religions.  

I myself have no issues with using blood in small quantities in rituals.  Of course, these days, one doesn't see the animal and occassional human sacrific, nor do I think there is much of a percieved need for that, although one can easily see the reasons and logic for it in Pre Christian times.  But I have indeed used a touch of my own blood in the past in ritual and found it more powerful.  

As I've said before, I was brought up strictly Catholic, and since blood in the figurative sense is such a strong element of the faith (as in...the Blood of Christ, the Blood of Martyrs, etc, etc), it was very much easy for me to consider blood in my Pagan rituals without squimishness.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 10:11 AM

I'm glad you brought up the connection between the blood of Jesus and "blood sacrifice". It makes a good point. And I agree that the fluffiness of todays paths has a lot to do with the persecution of the past.

Goddess forbid I say menstrual blood, and all the men on this board go running for the nearest exit... but, anybody ever use it in ritual? Hey, a woman on her cycle can produce extremely powerful magick.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:14 AM

I've wanted to myself, but I have yet to get over the very ingrained "Don't Touch" thingy with menstrual blood...you know...and only recently did I get it out of my head what one nun/teacher told me when I was 12...that it was the tears of an empty womb!

Surprising how generation after generation of mother to daughter teaching that it's somehow dirty can really stick!  I know it's normal, I know it's powerful, I have a pretty decent idea of how it was once percieved as a magical time for women, but it's hard to overcome things that were pounded into your head at puberty.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:varied too many to list

Posted 18 April 2004 - 11:27 AM

I have used my blood in making of ritual candles for added power when doing spellwork. But only when I had to generate more energy than I could otherwise.

#8 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:24 PM

Ooohhh... in candles. That is SUCH a great idea. I've just made a mental note to try that out now.

Vampchick. You poor thing. Were you raised in the Catholic school system? lol. And what a horrible thing for someone to say about menstruation! Tears of an empty womb. Sheesh. Like the only thing it's good for is makin' babies! But yes, it took some getting over for me to attempt it myself. Joining the feminist movement helped. lol.

Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Oh and Lamuris gets cool points for posting even AFTER the mention of menstrual blood.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

Yup, taught by nuns from Kindergarden to the 8th Grade :P  Strict Catholic, and now I'm Pagan...go figure!  LMAO!

My mom actually was furious when I went home that day and told her what the Sister had said.  

Candles...must remember that!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:32 PM

Although the presence of open sores does greatly increase the chance of HIV and/or Hepatitis transmission, it has been proven that the disease can pass through intact oral mucosa, especially the tonsils and salivary glands.  It is also important to note that although you may not see open sores, there still may be minute ones that will allow the passage of HIV, or Hepatitis.  If you insist on partaking in this, do not simply takes somebody’s word that they are “clean”.  Ask to see the documentation, and get yourself checked regularly.

The CDC advises that the risk is still present, even with intact oral mucosa. It is some of the HIV groups that say there is no risk.  The choice is yours, but why take the risk?
Posted Image

#11 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:35 PM

I agree totally that these precaussions should be taken in any and all circumstances surrounding this kind of thing. I may be a part of coven where trust is important, but not important enough when my physical safety is on the line. Still, I wonder how many cases have been reported due to a bloodletting... something I'll have to research on my own. But still Justa.... I'm not sure what religious faith you practice in.... do you use blood, or agree that it can be used, if for no other reason than a personal one?

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#12 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:48 PM

To each there own is my philosophy.  I don't practise any religion so to speak.  I have not been baptised, and I do not believe in the church.  And if not being baptised keeps me out of Heaven, I will just make sure I take a deck of cards and play solitaire for eternity.  I  do believe in a superior being, but I don't claim any one religion better or more right that any other.  Afterall, if most religions claim that they are against violence and murder, why are there so many wars based on religion?

As for the blood thing, fill your boots.  Just please be careful.   I personally don't see any reason to do it, and no, I don't do it, especially since the risk is there.   As for how many cases have been reported... there is a first for everything, and I wouldn't want to be that statistic.  I agree that blood is the life force, and if your religious beliefs or personal beliefs require you to do it, then so be it.  

I hope this answers your question.  I kind of babbled.
Posted Image

#13 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hm..I can see it working for some people and I can see it being very powerfully symbolic, but I don't think I could do it. I used to have such a phobia of blood I couldn't even say the word in a geneological context.  You're probably right about the reasons for it not being used much now.  As for magick during menstruation, I've always heard people say this, but it does not work at all for me, even my normal psychic/sensitive/intuitive abilities vanish totally for me during that time, as though I'm totally disconnected and isolated from the universe as a whole. Kind of a disturbing feeling, really.  To be honest I had figured the whole 'menstrual magick' concept to be a result of politically correct feminism/revisionism, because I just couldn't imagine anything spiritual working even slightly well at that time, but perhaps other women have a different experience.  I know I'm prone to heavy and somewhat irregular periods, so that might make a difference.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:01 PM

I have read that in times past (and I've only read this, no idea really as to the validity of the theory), that women were considered to be more connected to the Earth at that time of the month, and far more powerful in a magical sense.  

In some tribes (all the specifics are currently escaping me) women were forbidden to prepare food for men while on their period as it was thought that they could accidently curse or posion just by being on their period.  They weren't allowed near the shaman or holy person as they could make a mess of the magic.

Most of that was off the top of my head, since it was about 15 years ago that I actually read that stuff...so I can't really recall everything.  The book title was something about menstrual taboos....

As to added power, well, I've not tried to actually use it yet myself.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:14 PM

*praises ana for just using the word menstrual cycle in a thread* I havent ever heard of it used in a ritual though, just the fact it gives you more power when connected with the phases of the moon..good book on the sub is Blood, Bread and Roses: How Menstruation Created the World by Judy Grahn

I have never used blood personally but the idea of blood in ritual candles is pardon the obviously bad pun, bloody brilliant! Thanx Lamuris!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users