• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

[glow=green,2,300]How do you tell your family, who happen to all be major Christians, that your Wiccan?[/glow]

#2 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

My family just kind of noticed. I was raised Catholic, so I can understand the problem you're facing. I would suggest possibly just leaving a few books on the subject lying around. It's always easier to broach this very sensitive subject with parents and relatives when THEY bring it up first.

The only thing I can suggest is that you make sure you are very aware of your path before leaving the broom closet, as it were. It's important that you can educate your family on the truth of your religious practices. My family noticed when I was 14, and I was quite informationally challenged at the time so, for two years, they were positive I was doing animal sacrifices.

Good luck.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#3 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

I've been studing witch craft for a year and I'm pretty sure Iknow enough about it so I could easily explain things to them.

#4 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:56 PM

[glow=green,2,300]How do you tell your family, who happen to all be major Christians, that your Wiccan?[/glow]

If you are under the age of 18, I wouldn't say anything until I was of legal age.  As long as you live under your parents' roof, you need to abide by what they want you to do.  I get this question a lot from teens and this is always my advice to them.  It might not be what they want to hear, but it's good sound advice all the same.  Wicca and Paganism will still be very much alive when you are old enough to decide for yourself what religion you want to practice, and at that point when you tell your parents, even if they aren't crazy about the idea, you can always fall back on the old "I'm an adult now and I'm old enough to make my own decisions."

In the meantime, there is always the possibility that something will come up and you will be forced to tell your parents.  They might hear something from the parents of a friend who may have told their parents that you are studying witchcraft, they may find books or papers in your room, they could overhear you talking to someone about it.  If any of these things happen, this page gives excellent advice about how to handle the situation.  
http://www.teenwitch...CTS/PARENTS.HTM

As far as the rest of this website goes, in my opinion it's pretty much a waste of bandwidth.  There is a LOT of misinformation in it, so if you read through the rest of the site, take whatever else besides the telling the parents thing is said with a grain of salt.  However, I do agree wholeheartedly with the page they have on how to tell parents about the fact that you have chosen to be a witch.    ;)

Elle

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:08 PM

hey.... check this.....

http://www.ghostvill...;num=1078845290
Posted Image

#6 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:13 AM

hey.... check this.....
http://www.ghostvill...;num=1078845290

So many teens (and even younger sometimes) ask this very same question.  A sticky post should probably be at the head of this forum with links to pages on how to handle it.  Provided those who had the question took the time to read it, it would cut down on a lot of threads.  I run into this on every witch/Pagan message board I belong to.   :)

Elle

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 29 April 2004 - 05:40 AM

I agree that really, if your a teenager, it's often best to just hold off telling your folks unless you're backed into a corner.  I was in my 20's when I finally told my parents, and by then, my path was much different than it was when I was 14-15.  

I find too that by the time you're over 18, you know yourself a bit better, you know your parents a bit better, you know your chosen faith a bit better, and your parents are less likely to be considered rebelling against parental authority :)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:11 AM

At first, I wanted to disagree with the whole wait-until-you're-older vote, simply because I suppose I took it for granted how understanding my family would be. And, when they realized it wasn't a fad, they WERE quite understanding about it, and very accepting. However, the others have made excellent points. Plus, if you're young, this could very well be a fad, as it is for many teenagers today. Why break the news to your family if there is still a chance you might stray away from it given time. I've seen people pratice for four years in their teens and then just give it up and convert to some other tradition.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#9 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:25 AM

At first, I wanted to disagree with the whole wait-until-you're-older vote, simply because I suppose I took it for granted how understanding my family would be. And, when they realized it wasn't a fad, they WERE quite understanding about it, and very accepting. However, the others have made excellent points. Plus, if you're young, this could very well be a fad, as it is for many teenagers today. Why break the news to your family if there is still a chance you might stray away from it given time. I've seen people pratice for four years in their teens and then just give it up and convert to some other tradition.

BB, Ana

All good points, Ana.   :)

Also, if a teen risks an uprising in the family by bringing up the subject of witchcraft and then it DOES turn out to only be a passing thing, it runs the risk of tainting their credibility with their parents when or if they finally DO find what they are really looking for if that thing is different from the path their parents have chosen.  If they wait until they are considered adults to bring up the subject, the parents are going to be less likely to bring up "you're not serious about this.  This is just like when you were 16 and decided you wanted to be a witch."  

Teens today seem to be far more articulate than when I was a teen, however they are still not old enough to have studied as much as they need to know to present their stance about something as deep as religion in a truly knowledgeable manner.  IMO it just much better to wait to talk about religion, unless, of course, the parents are followers of the path in question.

Elle

#10 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:38 PM

My friend is saying shes going to tell my mother if I dont. All my friends happen to be very strong Christian and now refuse to talk to me. I guess the think they will turn evil or something if their near me.

#11 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

ugh i know how you feel grey ghost. i've been learning about wicca for awhile and while i like it alot, most people i know can't stand it. i've been told that i'm going to burn in hell at least ten times. woo hoo i'll save you a seat. mostly what i figure is that if people won't respect your choices, they aren't worth it.
 and if you aren't sure how to tell your parents, just do like ana said to. leave a couple of books laying around. that's how my parents figured it out.  and if they really want you to be happy, they'll respect you for it.
 just hope the family doesn't start calling you "the witch" like mine does.

-alsie r.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#12 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:53 PM

My friends are set on the fact their going to save me so I wont have to "burn in hell".Of course then I said there is no hell then things got real fun and now they think I need counsling.

#13 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:55 PM

it seems like everyone that doesn't know about wicca, thinks we're all going to roast. oh well....either way, i'll bring the marshmallows. who wants to bring the chocolate? we'll have a wiccan s'more fest!
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#14 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:56 PM

most of my friends think i'm going to hell too but no one's made an effort to "save" me.  

at least not yet.
                   oh goddess! they're going to exorcise me!

#15 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:04 PM

My big mistake was saying "Thank the Goddess" and droping a Wiccan book then things just started going down hill. Surprisingly no one knew I was Wiccan for a whole year. Their very dumb when it comes to knowing friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users