• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:25 PM

Obviously, Hollywood has portrayed witchcraft in a less than favorable light. How do you feel about this?

Personally, I'm pretty confident in my own practices and beliefs that it doesn't bother me much. Granted, I cringe when the girls on Charmed flick their hands and figures go dancing across the room. And when the Mad Mad House witch wears her provacative clothing.

But, for the most part it's all in good fun. Did you know there was actually a "real witch" who acted as an advisor on the set of The Craft? Sad, but true. I don't get bent out of shape about movies like Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus or Harry Potter. What I DO dislike are the movies that automatically link psychic abilities with witchcraft while avoiding the entire subject of religion! But, again, people will see what they want to see, and believe it or not. Ignorance of the masses is not my personal problem.

Your opinions?

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:26 PM

lol need to fill in my stomach before answering this :)
Posted Image

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:48 PM

Hollywood has a habit of distorting religion, not just Wicca or Witchcraft.  Actually, there was an interesting article in a recent issue of People about Hollywood and faith.

Personally, I tend to avoid movies like "The Craft".  They always seem to put the most ANNOYING actresses in them.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Ravenwood

Ravenwood

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:14 PM

I agree with you VampChick21.

#5 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:16 PM

I went in hiding when "The Craft" came out, from pure embarrassment but there are good exceptions, Practical Magic, my neices looove this movie, Harry Potter obviously is a cute movie or you could get old school with Witches of Eastwick 8)
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#6 armadilloswill

armadilloswill

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:17 PM

Well, I have lived in Salem for 19 years and I still haven't seen a "green witch with a hooked and warted nose, wearing a pointed hat and riding a broom."
Chuck C. Salem Ma

#7 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, but wouldn't it be FUN if you did see one? lol

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:01 AM

my little opinion - IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY HONEY! lol

the idea of hollywood is not to promote a religion or belief, but to promote what will rake in money and popularity! why blame? that is what the industry is all about!

SHOW BIZ!
Posted Image

#9 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:25 AM

Good point, Moon. After all, what sells, gets onto the screen! ;D But I've always liked the Craft...sadly, this one WAS the most accurate in explaining the tenents of Wicca compared to the other fodder of bad cheesy witchcraft related movies...ever seen the Witchboard movies?? I rest my case...lol...although good point about the annoying actresses! ;D But of course Practical Magic is my FAVE because I will one day OWN a house like that one, yessire BY GODDESS! lol

#10 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

Obviously, Hollywood has portrayed witchcraft in a less than favorable light. How do you feel about this?

Personally, I'm pretty confident in my own practices and beliefs that it doesn't bother me much. Granted, I cringe when the girls on Charmed flick their hands and figures go dancing across the room. And when the Mad Mad House witch wears her provacative clothing.

But, for the most part it's all in good fun. Did you know there was actually a "real witch" who acted as an advisor on the set of The Craft? Sad, but true. I don't get bent out of shape about movies like Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus or Harry Potter. What I DO dislike are the movies that automatically link psychic abilities with witchcraft while avoiding the entire subject of religion! But, again, people will see what they want to see, and believe it or not. Ignorance of the masses is not my personal problem.

Your opinions?

Ana

An older post, I know, but I'm still reading and bringing myself up to speed here.   :)

The problem I have with Hollywood and how they portray witches is not so much the light that they portray them in, but the fact that they insist on making it look as though people really CAN just wave their hand and cause something to happen.

I wouldn't mind at all if a movie was made that portrayed a witch that spend the majority of her time smiting people, but at least show what she REALLY has to go through to do it.  Show how it is necessary to raise energy for a spell, don't make it look like they can simply say three or four words (or worse yet, a corny little rhyme) and have mayhem happening all around them.  

I always hate it when a new witch movie comes out, because message boards everywhere are just crawling with kids who want to know how to do it.  Portray witches in a less than desirable light if they must, but at least portray it accurately.

Elle

#11 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 02:38 PM

Did you know that there is also a Sim Spell Kit for the computer game Sim City or whatever it's called. And I just LOVE the Spell Caster Barbie that came out last year. lol. The commerical for that one was pretty entertaining in that they show girls casting love spells on boys. The Barbie even comes with a cauldron and mini potions and a spell book! How trite. I think I want to own one, though, just for the sake of owning one... because it's funny, and I've got no problem poking fun at my own religion.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#12 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:56 PM

Did you know that there is also a Sim Spell Kit for the computer game Sim City or whatever it's called. And I just LOVE the Spell Caster Barbie that came out last year. lol. The commerical for that one was pretty entertaining in that they show girls casting love spells on boys. The Barbie even comes with a cauldron and mini potions and a spell book! How trite. I think I want to own one, though, just for the sake of owning one... because it's funny, and I've got no problem poking fun at my own religion.

Ana

Oh fercryinoutloud!  LOL!
I wouldn't mind having one of the Barbies either, though.  I'd put her on my altar.  :)

Elle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users