Haunted Prisons

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 South East Ghost Hunters

South East Ghost Hunters

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

:) Hello all fellow members. I am looking for any kind of Prison or Jail stories for the book that I am writing. I already have a bunch but am looking for some more stories (even folklore or legends). Either email them to me or go to my website and email them to me there> Thanks in advance for your help. :clap: Halifax Hauntings

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

Old Newgate Prison in East Granby, Connecticut. It is the oldest prison in CT. It used to be a copper mine, then in the 1800s was turned into a debtors prison. The temperature in the mine is 40 degrees F year round. The prisoners were put in there in whatever clothes they had on their backs at the time. They were chained in their cells and it was dark and cold. The land is said to be haunted and many people report seeing apparitions there. I've been there as it is about 5 miles from my house, and I don't like it. While there, you can feel the suffering these poor men endured for years often for owing under $4 for taxes or for taking a cow or something like that. Most died there of hypothermia, pneumonia, fever, etc. Very sad and I hate driving by there. It is surrounded by a 1.5 story stone wall, and even that doesn't stop the bad feelings from coming right into the car as one drives by. It is now used as a museum, but I never go in. I did maybe 3 times in my life, once as a child and twice as an adult..........I will never go back there again.

Good luck with your book. I'm sorry I can't give you any specific examples, but I'm sure if you look it up online there should be some information.
Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

The Yuma Territorial Prison here in Arizona is a known haunted location. I visited the prison back in 1998 during a sightseeing visit. I'd like to return in an investigative capacity because of the feelings emitted from the building. While on the guided tour we were shown various rooms and cells including a gallows and solitary confinement cell. Many of the areas gave us the feeling on our spine as if we were carrying a heavy weight on our heads. You could feel the burden. No I didn't get any photos, didn't have a camera with us.

Edited by Axman, 19 January 2008 - 11:43 PM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#4 South East Ghost Hunters

South East Ghost Hunters

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:46 AM

The Yuma Territorial Prison here in Arizona is a known haunted location. I visited the prison back in 1998 during a sightseeing visit. I'd like to return in an investigative capacity because of the feelings emitted from the building. While on the guided tour we were shown various rooms and cells including a gallows and solitary confinement cell. Many of the areas gave us the feeling on our spine as if we were carrying a heavy weight on our heads. You could feel the burden. No I didn't get any photos, didn't have a camera with us.

Thank you for your reply. Can I use your experience?

#5 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

I can supply you with stories and experiences from both Eastern State and Burlington County Prison. Let me know.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#6 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

SEG, That's about the extent of my experiences with the Yuma Territorial prison here in Arizona but if it helps, feel free to use it. I know that there have been others who have visited YTP in an investigative capacity but I can't recall the names of the groups. You try this site http://www.sgha.net/ to ask questions about YTP.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#7 Jeff S

Jeff S

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

Old Newgate Prison in East Granby, Connecticut. It is the oldest prison in CT. It used to be a copper mine, then in the 1800s was turned into a debtors prison. The temperature in the mine is 40 degrees F year round. The prisoners were put in there in whatever clothes they had on their backs at the time. They were chained in their cells and it was dark and cold. The land is said to be haunted and many people report seeing apparitions there. I've been there as it is about 5 miles from my house, and I don't like it. While there, you can feel the suffering these poor men endured for years often for owing under $4 for taxes or for taking a cow or something like that. Most died there of hypothermia, pneumonia, fever, etc. Very sad and I hate driving by there. It is surrounded by a 1.5 story stone wall, and even that doesn't stop the bad feelings from coming right into the car as one drives by. It is now used as a museum, but I never go in. I did maybe 3 times in my life, once as a child and twice as an adult..........I will never go back there again.

Good luck with your book. I'm sorry I can't give you any specific examples, but I'm sure if you look it up online there should be some information.
Kira

Just a little side not about Old Newgate Prison. This prison was actually the first fully functional copper mine in North America. Since the site failed to turn profit, it was turned into a prison in 1773 I believe. It was not only the first copper mine but it was also the first state prison.

#8 tanked00

tanked00

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

eastern state penitentiary in philadelphia is a well known one. most haunted live was there not long ago. there are records of different torture tactics they used when the prisoners weren't quiet. since they were forced to be quiet all the time, they say most parts of the huge prison is very quiet, eerie, and still.

also, the jim thorpe prison in pennsylvania. there is the mysterious hand print on one of the cell walls that has a story behind it. if you want more info on it, let me know. i live somewhat near it.

#9 ShatteredRazor

ShatteredRazor

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Kira

I just went there with my boyfriend and I took photos in the deepest part of the tunnels in the cooper mine and there was mist coming from the ground. Also when I started to walk up the stairs, I told him to stand at the end of the stair case so I could take a photo of him. I got this amber colored aura around him. When I got home I looked up what it meant and it said that it was "AMBER : Indicating individual strength and courage" It was like he was going to protect me for what was down there. Just thinking about it gives me shivers. After I took the photo of him we went back down to take more photos and I got a photo of a white mist coming from one of the paths. I kept taking photos in that way to see if its just the light or something but after the first one it went away. I have seen other things as well but this is the first I saw and had proof. I don't know how to attach photos to this but if you want to see or want to know more email me. (link->) Do you believe?

#10 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal. music. creating web sites

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

the Jailers INN in Bardstown Ky is supposedly haunted. housed prisoners from 1797 till 1987.

#11 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

I know this is an older thread, but for those still interested in haunted jails/prisons, here's one from my neck of the woods:

Western Regional Jail in Barboursville, WV

The Western Regional Jail was officially opened on December 13, 2003. It was built to house a capacity of 400 inmates from Cabell, Putnam, Mason, Lincoln, and Wayne Counties.

The proposed land for the construction site required the removal of one of the oldest cemeteries in the area, the Merritt Cemetery, which held many of the descendants of William Merritt, a prominent early citizen, as well as Malchor Strupe, a Revolutionary War veteran.

In 1999, as ground was broken, it became clear that the building site also was of Native American significance. Two different archeology groups were brought in, but it was declared that plowing and road construction had disrupted the site to the point where it did not qualify for historical preservation. Still, tools and pottery shards, and even remnants of a fire pit were discovered, and attributed to the Woodland Indians. The bulk of artifacts put the date at anywhere between 700A.D. and 1200A.D., but there is reason to believe that the area was used as a temporary campground way before that.

The HRC, an archaeological and historical preservation group from Morgantown also began "Phase II" in 1999, which consisted of surveying and relocating the Merritt Cemetery. In October of that year, the graves were officially moved to a new location a short distance away, and still on the original homestead property.

The team found 25 visible stones, and 15 buried bases or fragments. They also found at least 28 unmarked graves. There were 52 total burials that were found, and 19 of those were outside the fence.

The soil in the area was so acidic that not much was left of the remains. A few teeth, a button or two, soles of shoes, and coffin hardware were all that were left. These artifacts, along with the darker dirt (indicating organic matter) were put into pine boxes and re interred in the new location.

This is really the stuff that breeds ghost stories...of course, the Woodland campground became an "indian burial ground." Also, it is a fairly accepted theory that spirits are unhappy whenever their earthly remains are undisturbed. Unfortunately, there is that added element to this story; it would have been impossible to scoop up all the organic matter which was so decomposed, so technically there would still be bodies buried under the jail.

Almost immediately upon opening, staff and inmates alike began reporting strange phenomena. Voices and footsteps are heard when no one should be around. One inmate claims that he was shoved down, and someone caught him. He turned to see who had saved him from falling, and no one was there. In another incident, an employee was asked by an inmate to bring him a shave kit. Upon returning with the kit, the guard realized that no one was assigned to that cell. Cold AND hot spots have been reported within feet of each other, and people have said there is a negative vibe in the whole place, even more so than what one would expect in a jail. Interestingly enough, there have also been several deaths...a little more than what you'd expect in a jail less than five years old...one man allegedly committed suicide while being held for a minor charge, and at least two others died of apparent overdoses.
http://www.freewebs....v.htm#282245281

Edited by TheresaRHPS, 30 November 2008 - 09:12 AM.

Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#12 NUPS_Jennifer

NUPS_Jennifer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

The Park City Historical Jail is rumored to be haunted.
Posted Image

#13 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:22 AM

hey SE Ghost! from Canada, check out the Don Jail. Very old and very spooky and it's had it's share of ghosties. People used to be hung there and just last summer while they were expanding the parking lot they dug up human remains. It turns out that it was a cemetary for people who died in jail.
Good luck with the book and let us know when it comes out.
Here's the wiki link.....I hope it works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Jail

Edited by axlfoley, 05 December 2008 - 05:23 AM.

#14 BethInSC

BethInSC

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

Ok I'm in south carolina and I can give you a few sites to check out..I also can voutch for hauntings in some of these .... :wave:
http://shadowboxent....ldcityjail.html
http://www.co.burlin...chure/index.htm
MY HUSBAND WHO IS FROM KY SAID CHECK THESE OUT
The Bardstown Jailers Inn Bed and Breakfast, don't forget about the old haunted salem mass. prison. Haunted Prison At Mansfield Reformatory The Haunted Prison Experience is located at 100 Reformatory Road, Mansfield Ohio and isnít recommended for those faint of heart or under the age 10.
Don't Judge what you don't understand.....Beth

#15 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

Posted Image

I've been there - it's HAUNTED.
The Jailers Inn - Bardstown, KY

Here's a link:

http://www.graveaddi...om/jailinn.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users