Wiccan/Christian

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 chillsatnight

chillsatnight

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:20 AM

I think if you can do both and know what the difference in them are then why not. I mean for me I just practice wicca but that is just me. Be your self.

#17 Cristelle32

Cristelle32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:50 AM

In life, you should always do what makes YOU happy without worrying what people think.  I practice white magick (and so does my mum) and we're catholics too!

so go with the heart, and spread your wings - it's always the best way to go!

#18 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:29 PM

;) but also use the brains ;D
Posted Image

#19 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

Theologically, stick with one religion, but readily accept good qualities you see in others.  For example, Wicca has a tenet to never intentially hurt others.

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all teach you should only worship the God of Abraham.  Worshipping other Deitites is an abomination.  In these cases, you aren't a true Jew, Christian, or Muslim if you worship Wicca.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#20 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:55 AM

Ah, but like I said, Wicca actually does only have one deity.  They just recognize the male and female aspects of it, and then further broke them out.  In Wicca, all are part of the One.  So, for example, Diana and Hectate are different aspects of the Goddess, which is the female aspect of the One Deity.

That's how it was explained to me lo those many years ago ;)

Me, however, viewing all my own deities as separate and indvidual beings and worshiping them as such would indeed make me an infidel from the point of view of Jew, Christian or Muslim.  :)  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#21 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:36 AM

Actually Vampchick, there ARE sects of Wicca that believe in polytheism and not the theory of "One good with many faces", which I personally ascribe to.

And, don't Mormon's believe that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are three seperate divine beings? That's how the missionaries explained it to me when they visited me on and off for a year. If that's the case, that sounds like polytheism to me, so it would stand to reason that being Wiccan/Christian is definitely possible from some Christain viewpoints. I don't think Wiccans have a problem with the two incorporating beliefs.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#22 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:29 AM

All Christians hold that God is Father/Son/Holy Spirit.  The Trinity.  ;)  And no Christian Theologan would call that polytheism.  It's pretty much like this...there is God.  And Jesus (the Son) WAS God in the form of man.  And the Holy Spirit IS God, using that form to approach humans (such as the Apostles).

And thank you, I wasn't personally aware of Wiccan Sects that believe in polytheism the way I do.  You learn something new everyday as the saying goes :)  Which paths are those?  I'm curious to look into them!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#23 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:54 AM

Take your pick. lol. I should've clarifiied. It's not so much the sect that practices polytheism, as just any number of people who are part of that sect. I know Gardnerians who are truly polytheistic. I know eclectics who are polytheistic. Etc. Traditionally (and this has only been hypothesized of course as no one who was around thousands of years ago still lives), wicca WAS polytheistic, and it wasn't until a few hundred years ago that the dieties all merged into One with many faces.

About the Trinity... I agree that it is seen as three faces of one God, but the way the Mormon Missionaries explained it to me was that they were actually three seperate divine beings, different from God. I was hoping Aloha could clarify.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#24 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

basically Hindhusim, where almost a million Gods are worshipped, is theoretically mono ethist religion. Since the actual entity worshipped is the Supreme Being - BRAHMAN - and all others are multiple facets of this power.
Posted Image

#25 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:11 AM

hmmm....I have always understood that Wicca as we know it today is a 20th century religion, based on pre-Christian practices, but wholly new.  Ah well, I know personally a few Wiccans who HAVE debated that point with me, so I suppose it's more, what you are comfortable understanding in terms of the origins of the Path.  As in, treating it as a revived ancient religion or treating it as a modern faith inspired by ancient religion.  Wait....isn't it the same dang thing?

And in the Holy Trinity case, perhaps it's just the way they explained it?  It's always been a tricky concept to put into words.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#26 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:12 AM

Moon....I didn't know that!  And here I thought Brahman was one diety amongst many!  

Thanks!  I like learning new things!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#27 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:26 AM

Brahman is the absolute. It is impersonal and the ultimate reality. All Hindhu gods are personal manifestations of this impersonal entity. The three main aspects of Brahman is collectively called the Trinity of Hinduism. Brahma - Creations, Vishnu - Protective and Shiva - Destructive.
Posted Image

#28 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

Personally, I bow down to Kali. That woman kicks as$!

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#29 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:30 AM

yup, FEMININE essence is what is actually that comes FIRST of the Supreme Being. Kali is again one aspect of this feminine essence.
Posted Image

#30 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:02 PM

I think Im just going to become Pegan. Christianty is way to into the idea of men being better than women and that women are only here to have children.The Pegan religion states that men and women are both equel.I never really was that much of a Christian in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users