• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

Can you be both wiccan and christian? Ive been taught (evan though I dont believe it) that wicca is evil and christians cant be wiccan but I practice both. Is this right?

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:36 PM

I think others on this board do indeed practice both.  I myself don't, but I see no reason why you can't if it fits you.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:04 PM

Yup, in fact there is a long thread involving this.  If you want a link to it, just ask. ;)
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#4 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:35 PM

Part of the reason I'm asking is because in the Bible it tells people that wicca is from saten but I dont thinks is true because the Bible could have been changed.Because alot of things are kind of magic.Like when Jesus heals people isnt that kind of like magic?

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

Wicca isn't mentioned in the Bible, as Wicca is a 20th Century religion that draws from Pre-Christian traditions and practices, among other things.  Although it does in many of it's forms, incorporate Witchcraft.

What you are referring to is the passage in the Old Testement stating that you shall not suffer a witch to live...and I can't remember the full context of that passage.  But it was either Soloman or Saul (can't quite recall...forgotton most of that stuff sadly) who engaged the Witch of Endor.

And it's not that most of the Bible was changed, just a matter of mistranslations and some books not making it into the final version that we know today. This took place in the 5th century if memory serves me correctly, at one of the Councils.

Bottom line, if you can incorporate both religions in your life and spiritual life, then do so.  If you cannot, pick the one that speaks most to you and go with that.  Wicca and Witchcraft are not evil, and when you actually stop to think on it, they can indeed be incorporated together almost seemlessly.  It's up to the person.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

I went and looked.  It's tucked in among other 'abominations', such as eating shellfish or meat with blood in it.  Deuteronomy 18 and Exodus 22.  Never actually says it's evil or from Satan.  Just that it's an abomination, like eating shellfish and meat with blood in it.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 earthstorm2525

earthstorm2525

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:31 PM

Thanks that helped answer alot of question.;)

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:49 PM

;)  No prob...and I'm sure there are others here that have even more info and insite than I do!  :)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:34 PM

i don't know enough about wicca to be sure. aren't there other god(desses) involved in wicca?

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

In Wicca, there are two Dieties that are separate aspects of the One Diety.  A male and a female.  And they go by many names.  Most of the names used are the names of various ancient Gods and Goddesses, but Wiccans hold that they are different aspects of the male and female sides of the One Deity.

Kinda confusing?  LOL.  The Holy Trinity is too.  ;)

I myself am Pagan, as I view each of the Gods and Goddesses as separate and individual entities rather than aspects.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:14 PM

My Latin teacher had degrees in ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The word "witch" in the original Hebrew language meant "trouble maker". Just thought that was interesting.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#12 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:58 PM

it is only about one set of beliefs forcefully proclaiming its followers. problems arise if the beliefs rival in nature.
Posted Image

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:22 AM

Very interesting on the meaning in ancient Hebrew!  I never knew that.  I knew the equivalent word in some Europrean languages meant 'wise'.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:25 AM

wise trouble maker perhaps ;D
Posted Image

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:36 AM

Heh...that does describe a few witchy types that I know ;)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users