Bible

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:36 AM

Every historical document is a product of its times. The prevailing culture is, in most cases, readily discernible from the text. This is true also of religious documents, and true, in particular, of the Bible.

Among Fundamentalist circles, however, there exists a belief that the Bible is completely inspired by God. Of a necessity, this implies that all its pronouncements are true, and there can be found no error in its pages. A number of Christian scholars have also argued that the Bible displays scientific knowledge ahead of its time, adding support to the theory that the Bible is divinely inspired. Is this true? As it turns out, the answer is No. The Bible, like any other ancient historical document, reflects the prescientific thinking that prevailed when it was written.
Posted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:56 AM

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm............. I am not sure of the pre-scientific concept. What if we have had a long lost civilization that had an advanced scientific mind set? What if they had better mind development and thru which have had acquired better knowhow?

And I guess this is pretty much true with any religious doctrines ;D
Posted Image

#3 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 03:10 PM

IF that were the case then there would never be a misprint in the Bible, lest they conceed that God cannot help man to print the perfect book, and if that is the case then God has removed humanity from the Bible, and if THAT is the case then free will is rendered pointless. The fact is that there have been MANY misprintings of the Bible. My favorite is in the Vatican. It was a wood-cut print that has come to be known as "The Naughyt Bible". The carver accidently left out ONE WORD. Saddly it was in the Old Testement, in the Ten Commandments... unless of course God DID say, "Thou Shall Commit Adultery". ;)
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#4 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 27 March 2004 - 03:27 PM

hmmm... there were many english translations going around when the bible was first translated (it was illeagal at the time because english was considered unholy) so I can assure you, God had no direct hand in keeping the bible most of us know as true to his word...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#5 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

Moonchild, if that were true there would not be so many Scientific Boo-Boos in the Bible....;)
Posted Image

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

well, but we also should acknowledge the purposeful editings that were done, especially in the middle ages! so much for being Patriachal!
Posted Image

#7 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:26 PM

MoonChild and  Old Soul....Yes, you!! I do like the way you think.....;)
Posted Image

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:41 AM

hi DeadZone, I am not saying EVERYTHING may be true, just because I dont know! see, in our culture, the Vedas are the scriptures that holds the basic values of human society. It basically talks about 4 groups of the society, like Brahmins, Kshatriya, Vaisya and Sudra. No where in the vedas have they mentioned one is superior that the other.Now, Brahmins are the group of society that are entitles to do Godly stuff, and other rituals. Kshatriyas are basically rulers, or the then politicians. Vaisyaas are the Business People and all other people who does the J.O.B are sudras. Over a period of time, the Brahmins developed an attitude that since they were the ones who were entitled to represent God, they were superior and came the untouchability and caste system in our society as they are known as of today. Castes were basically like gropus who falls in a catagory of work they do.
So, were the scriptures wrong? Or the people who twisted it for their sake wrong? This is the same case with Bible or any other Holy Scriptures - I guess so! ;D
Posted Image

#9 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:46 AM

A number of Christian scholars have also argued that the Bible displays scientific knowledge ahead of its time, adding support to the theory that the Bible is divinely inspired. Is this true? As it turns out, the answer is No. The Bible, like any other ancient historical document, reflects the prescientific thinking that prevailed when it was written.

If you're referring here to the creation idea, it should be kept in mind that the evolutionary theory, though extremely popular, has yet to be conclusively proven. People seem to conveniently forget that, however.

I do believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God, but, as has been noted, there have been alot of translations, hence a lot of mistakes. God-inspired or not, those responsible for its translation and reprinting are still human. I believe that I also have a certain "God-inspired" path for my life. This doesn't mean I won't make mistakes along the way, or that I won't occasionally have an accident. If the Bible existed in a vaccuum, it would be perfect, I think. It doesn't. It exists in this world, touched by human hands.

In this way, I believe that the bible is still the best communication between God and man: It has been touched by both God and humanity, and is now parts of both. Now, instead of telling the story of man and God, it is a part of it.

#10 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:06 AM

Randy,
In part I agree with your comments, and no, I am not talking about the creation, the bible is filled with mumbo jumbo, I have yet to find "Gods" thumbprint on it!!!!
Posted Image

#11 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:19 AM

mumbo jumbo: actually, very little in scripture, if anything, can be either proven or disproven as fact. which of course is why it's a matter of faith. but i've studied it fairly extensively, and i haven't seen anything that is at direct odds with provable science.

God's thumbprint: But, would you know it if you saw it?

#12 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:34 AM

Randy,

Yes, I would know it, I may be somewhat skeptical of the bible and who may or may not have inspired it, but I am very spiritual in my own way, I hurt know one, I love everybody because I feel they are all a part of me, and I of them.....;)
Posted Image

#13 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:44 AM

i'm not being argumentative, so please don't take it that way.

you seem very certain of who God is to you. But we see God and His nature differently, I think. See, I see God in places you don't, and I'm sure you see God in places I don't.

The point is, I asked the question because I wonder if you can recognize the print of a God you wouldn't recognize in person...

(again, I'm not arguing whose ideas are right or wrong... just saying that if God is not what or who you think, then it's possible that when you don't see God's fingerprint, it's because you don't know what it looks like...).

just a thought. ;)

#14 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:04 AM

And that my dear Randy, is the beauty of all of us, I will not debate this with you at all, I respect and appreciate all religions, opinions and ideas!!!!  Be aware, however, my personal relationship with the creator is exactly how it should be, and that "gods" thumbprint is on many things in my life....;)
Posted Image

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:06 AM

i never put my thumb prints no where ;D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic