Bible

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:56 AM

Sure you do Moon, on everybody you touch in this life....On everybody who you leave a smile for, open a door for, leave a compliment, just wash the prints off the bank vault doors....LOL...;)
Posted Image

#17 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:32 PM

yup. and it's in that way that I see God's thumbprints on the Bible. And on my life.

Not, of course, that I think everything happens for a reason. But I do believe that God's hand is in our lives.

#18 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

I have a question for you, Randy, what then are your views on hauntings and ghosts??? verses the bibles stern warnings aginst them?????  I am very curious!!!
Posted Image

#19 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:37 PM

Okay, since this is basically about the bible, I'm going to toss in my $.02

While the Word may well be God's, 'twas written by men, which means while God was relaying the information, there may have been things changed or a misheard word...an honest mistake if you've ever played Telephone when you were little. The point of this being, the difference of a single word may change the meaning and intent, no?

The converse of this is also a possibility, a deliberate change to reflect the writer's personal interpretation of the Word.

Language is also a factor in this, as languages change, become extinct/revised and words are dropped or the meanings change from century to century, millenium to millenium the ancient scholars might have been scrambling around for a word that had been dead for 200 years.

There's also the factor that many of the ancient scribes were illiterate, they were copying symbols and if two characters were similar...

Just my take,
Whispers
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#20 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

When confronted with these arguments, the Biblical inerrantist is wont to point out that these passages may be poetic; in other words, they are not intended to be taken literally. In fact, this is partly true. Much of the imagery pointed out above occurs in the context of dreams or vision, or is found in poetic sections of the Bible. Does this invalidate the argument, however? No, mainly because the idea is to show that the prevailing, prescientific paradigm is reflected in the Bible. The various writers, whether they were employing metaphorical language or not, cast their messages in terms with which they were familiar.
Posted Image

#21 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:38 AM

Good point there Deadzone, it was their perception of the world at that time.  It problaby would be written extremely differently now.  So different, you probably would not even recognize it.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#22 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:05 AM

deadzone: my view on hauntings is that i'm as in the dark as everyone else. i don't know what things go 'bump' in the night. i may be arrogant (which i know is true... but i'm good at it ;) ), but not so much that i can't admit when i don't have answers.

i do know that the bible's stern warnings aren't against spirits, per se, but are against necromancy: communication with the dead.

but again, here, i'm not so arrogant that i can't admit i don't know the exact parameters of these warnings: who fits and who doesn't. it isn't for me to say.

i think, for example, that some people may be endowed with what we call "psychic" powers, without being thought of as "abominations." But that's largely because i think what we think of as supernatural in this sense, is really just a further extending of our own mental abilities.

as to spirits and mediums and such, I don't know. my instinct is to say we're dealing with demons rather than spirits of the dead; but the bible doesn't teach one way or the other.

#23 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:48 PM

Randy,

Thanks so much for answering my question and your posts......:)
Posted Image

#24 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:25 PM

not at all. thanks for the interesting topic.

#25 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:41 PM

Randy,
I am reminded of the Desiderata when confronted by all the different views on religion and or the bible, I think we all embrace some sort of spirituality, and that anyway to the light deserves its place in society.....:)

Go placidly amid the noise and the  haste and remember what Peace there may be in Silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.  

If you compare youself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be a greater and lesser person than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble, it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.  

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is, many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially do not feign affection.  
Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with imagings.  
Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. and whatever your labours and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful, strive to be happy.

According to some reference books, Desiderata is still sometimes thought to have been 'found' at Old St. Paul's Church in Baltimore and to date back to 1692. It was actually written and copyrighted by Max Ehrmann (1872-1945) in 1927, the copyright was renewed in 1948 and 1954 by Bertha K. Ehrmann. It was copyrighted by Robert L. Bell in 1976.
Posted Image

#26 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:45 PM

nice thoughts
Posted Image

#27 Cristelle32

Cristelle32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:50 AM

Desiderata always puts a smile on my face, it's very beautiful!

#28 Cristelle32

Cristelle32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:51 AM

oh btw, Desiderata is Italian for Desired

#29 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:32 AM

Personally and lately, I've seen the Bible as a great book of stories...with some inspired passages to live by. But then again, that can be said for half a dozen other books I've read before too, lol. I don't think that it is the end all and be all of what God has to say about everything. It's a great GUIDE book, but so is the golden rule, lol. So, no, don't think it is the absolute Word (in any translation), but does come in handy when I can't fall asleep and need something to read...lol. ;D

#30 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:45 AM

Guide Book - yes, YOU SAID IT BUDDY - GUIDE BOOK! that is EXACTLY what all the scriptures are. But are we using it positive? Are we trying to understand it practical?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users