• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:51 PM

I'll be totally honest and say it might be a bit scary to believe in the validity of the Bible. Hence why we, as a species, try to find other means of explaning events in the world, such as evolution. I personally, believe in evolution. The world, according the Bible, was created in "seven days", but in the Aramaic transaltion, it is "seven periods of time". That could be seven thousand years, seven hundred thousand years, seven million years. You see my point.

And how do you know when to take the Bible literally or not?

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#47 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:55 PM

ana: honestly i don't. what i try to do is look at each book in its own context. i tend to take genesis as mostly literal because of the way the stories are told. on the other hand, Revelation is written as a vision, and if read in that context is entirely symbolic.

#48 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:03 PM

You know, it's hard to take anything about Revelations seriously because it's extremely difficult for me to validate believing in obscurity that I couldn't hope to understand, as it was created two thousand years ago.

But, how do we know who's interpretation of the Bible is correct? I've attended several different churches where the pastors or priests read verse and then take on their own interpretations of that verse and they all differ! It just blows my mind.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#49 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

again it comes down to context. anything can mean anything once you remove context from it. somewhere there's a website that lists "things that are really funny when taken out of context." i think it was a letterman gag.

it's one of the many reasons i consider myself "antidoctrinal." i try to see the bible as a whole and leave everything within its context, realizing that the different books within were written for different purposes in different styles by different people. it's a challenge, which is why there -are- doctrines to begin with. basically people came up with interpretations and published them to save their congregations the work. personally i think it did more harm than good.

#50 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:12 PM

I think that what it all boils down to basically is that no matter what you put in front of a person, they will put whatever interpretation on it best suits their own thoughts and feelings, probably without even knowing it.  If there even is such a thing as a true objective reality, human beings are simply incapable of percieving it.  It's sort of like the movie Rashomon, where you have a murder committed in front of multiple witnesses, but by the end you still don't know what truly happened because everyone saw the events so differently as to make speculation meaningless.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#51 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:12 PM

yosei, the first thing you said is true, and as a writer and appreciator of art, i have found it to also be necessary.

however, i don't think we're incapable of seeing objective truth. we may have to approach it from a different angle, but we can see it.

it's like a sculpture. it is built in 3D, looking different on every side and from every angle. The person in front sees something entirely different from the person behind, but they are both seeing the same sculpture.

#52 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:19 AM

Although I agree you have a good point, Randy, I have to go with Yosei's take on the whole 'objective truth' approach. We are all shaped by our own experiences of life, and therefore it stands to reason that 'perception' is going to be both influenced and on the most part, biased to what we HAVE experienced. Both our emotions and intellect are going to 'color' any subject we encounter, and therefore to possess a completely 'objective' view to a truth is near impossible, in my opinion. I think you'd have to be a robot before such a thing can be achieved, lol. Even from different angles, the view can be prejudiced and influenced...and personally, I don't think it's a bad thing. We are creatures that adapt and adapt well, and evolution of ANY sort is something I find necessary for further growth. The only other option is stagnation and ultimately death. Many things from the Bible, I believe, are no longer applicable to the modern world, yet it is forbidden that these scriptures be changed. However, as faith and messages of love are univeral and will never fade, I can see how some parts of it will endure and I am extremely glad to see that it will. But on the whole, scripture does not enhance my life any more or less than anything else I happen to be reading or pondering over.

#53 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:30 AM

it's true that our views are colored. but we can achieve objectivity. it's not impossible. good reporters can do it (just wish they still existed...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users