Back to the Begining?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:50 AM

Hey folks,

Lately I've been having the urge...or need I suppose, to return to the very basics of my Pagan path...you know, reread and restudy what I learned many years ago when I first put my feet down this way.

How many others, irregardless of the religion, have felt this need to revisit the beginings?  And why?  

In my case, it's a need to refocus myself.  I live in a major city and often one finds oneself caught up in so much that you find yourself neglecting other equally or more important things.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:15 AM

I agree totally with your theory. Every few years I feel the need to really "ground" myself, for lack of a better word, and pound it home again why I do what I do, believe what I believe. I question things, and re-question them until the answers are satisfactory or I leave it to faith. It's always one or the other.

For me, when I start at the beginning with studies and things of that nature, it's basically to help me realize what I've been missing. After all, I don't normally feel this way unless I HAVE been missing something intrinsic in my practices. This usually boils down to the excitement that generally wears off after a while. I always notice it simmering in the background when I talk to someone new to my faith, how they are just bubbling with anticipation and I say to myself "Huh. I miss that." And so, I go back to the beginning, as you so delicately put it, and work to find it. Lately, the excitement has been present and hasn't dwindled. Perhaps that's because I've finally found my niche. Good topic.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#3 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:39 AM

It sounds like the way I read a few good books.  The favourites that is, and the way you have to go back and read them again to capture that excitement once more...
I don't have any kind of faith, but I know what my opinions are- and similarly I need a good argument to remind me of, and reinforce my opinions.  It's good to go over old ground just to make sure you haven't missed anything.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:47 AM

back to basics - it really helps ;D
Posted Image

#5 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:05 AM

Yes, I know what you mean by this...lately I've been frustrated by my inability to do this completely...When your faith is unconventional and has never totally conformed to the established rules, it's hard to not be influenced by outside opinions even when your own way worked better...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:13 AM

My whole problem is that over the last year or so, I've let a whole lot of other stuff more or less take over my life, leaving me feeling a tad empty on the spiritual level.  (NHL Playoffs excluded from this of course.  LOL)  So I thought it would be best for me to pull out all my old books, and the journals that I kept at that time, and renew myself.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:31 PM

:) kinda meditation?
Posted Image

#8 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:44 PM

I've been dealing with something like this lately myself and its the only time in my life since finding Wicca that i've truly felt i've lost direction or like some of you have said, lost the first time excitement I once had...restudying is a definate for me and I might look into joining a coven close to me, it would be much easier in staying focused if I had some kind of support, though I find that in talking to others that ask about my religion,  telling them what it means to me helps me take pride in my craft and gives me a deeper appreciation of my spirituality
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

Hrmmmm....seems I'm not the only one around that is going through this!  This is good!  :)  I'm not alone....lol.

I wonder why this is?  Is it because of everything going on in this world?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:49 PM

I wouldn't read too much into it. I just think that occasionally, our faith needs a freshening up. I don't think it's necessarily the product of world events.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#11 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:39 AM

Also, I may be wrong here but I think most of those posting in this thread are around the same age so are entering similar life cycles which may be why we are questioning these things at the same time.  (I checked with the exception of Melliotflower, we're all between 28 and 30)
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#12 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:55 AM

Just as a side note.... major life changes usually occur in cycles of seven years. For me, at 28 years if age, this is the seven year mark for me. Just a little tidbit I picked up along the way that's, so far, proven pretty accurate.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

dunno, for me the past 7 years have been eventful - all major ones!
Posted Image

#14 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:10 AM

I'm not talking about getting married or finding a new job or moving. I'm talking about severe psychological and emotional epiphanies, if you will. These are what happen once every seven years. The other events are more mundane and are another matter entirely.

But you make a good point. If every year has been eventful for one reason or another, mark the events. Lets say, last year you got a new job.... now, seven years from getting this new job, perhaps something monumental will happen to you in the workforce. If, five years ago, you got married, perhaps in two more years you'll rekindle the romance or get divorced or something drastic in your romantic life. I'm not necessarily saying nothing can happen within that seven year period... I'm just saying those moments are at seven year stretches... usually. This isn't always, of course, but for me, it's been pretty accurate, which is amazing really. I'll work on this theory a little more. lol.

BB, ana
Don't be a newt!

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:33 AM

yeah Ana, I understand what you said. But in my case, the past 7 years have been extremely importantly special. It has brought about sad and good changes in my life, but REAL GOOD emotional and spiritual learnings.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users