Rejected as Pagent Judge for reading tarot cards

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

I'm sickened and disgusted that this occured right here in Toronto. I'm so angry right now I'm seeing red and cannot form words.

http://www.thestar.c.../article/297985

Beauty queen rejected as pageant judge

Miss Toronto Tourism officials reject reigning Miss Canada Plus because she reads tarot cards

Jan 28, 2008 04:30 AM
Jim Byers
Staff Reporter

She might be a witch, but Stephanie Conover says that's no reason for officials at an upcoming Toronto beauty pageant to reject her as a potential judge.

Conover, who was crowned winner of the Miss Canada Plus Pageant last year, said she was recently invited to be a judge at the Miss Toronto Tourism pageant on Feb. 2.

"I said I'd definitely be there," Conover told the Star yesterday.

"Then, last week, on Monday, they asked me for a biography. I told them everything I do, how I'm an entertainer and a singer and a dancer. I talked about my charity work and I said I also have hobbies, including songwriting, knitting, painting, yoga, reiki and tarot cards."

That's where things got sticky.

"We just got her bio a week ago and we don't agree with it," said Karen Murray, Miss Toronto Tourism pageant director. "We want someone down to earth, not someone into the dark side or the occult."

"We need a judge who has an upright reputation and we would be proud to introduce to the audience," noted a Jan. 24 letter to the Miss Canada Plus group from Murray and another official with the Miss Toronto Tourism pageant.

"Our board of directors has eliminated her as a judge as tarot card reading and reiki are the occult and is not acceptable by God, Jews, Muslims or Christians. Tarot card reading is witchcraft and is used by witches, spiritists and mediums to consult the dark world."

The letter went on to quote a couple of passages from the Bible, including one from the book of Leviticus that warns, "Do not turn to mediums or seek out spirits for you will be defiled by them."

"We hope that Stephanie Conover will turn from these belief systems and will repent from her practice of them," the letter reads.

The Miss Toronto Tourism pageant was established in 1999 and is independent of the city of Toronto's tourism branch.

Conover said she was stunned by the letter."I was fuming. They said tarot cards are the occult and that I use them to commune with dark forces," which she insisted is not the case. "They're completely benign. I use them for healing, to give guidance. You can buy tarot cards at Chapters or the CNE."

She also said reiki is a well-known Japanese healing system that allows people to transfer positive energy to a sick person. "It definitely goes against convention, sure, but anything that helps avoid use of prescription drugs is a bonus, I think."

Conover said she practises Wicca, which to some means she's a witch. But she said the Miss Toronto Tourism people didn't know that and that they based their rejection of her on tarot cards and reiki.

"Some would call me a witch, yes. But we don't believe in the devil. There's no devil in Wicca. We believe whatever you send out, good or bad, comes back to you three times. Ninety per cent of those who practise witchcraft or Wicca do it for the betterment of themselves or others. It's a religion and we're trying to get it recognized by higher-ups in government."

Conover said she also promotes diversity and multiculturalism as her mother is black and her father is white. Murray insisted Conover is "trying to stir up trouble" by raising the issue in the press. "She's obviously a very vindictive person," she said. Murray said her group doesn't get government funding and has the right to decide who acts as a judge in their pageant.

Asked if her group is a religious one, Murray replied, "We adhere to God's principles. We're God-fearing. I wouldn't say we're religious."

Conover said she's looking into challenging the Miss Toronto Tourism pageant in court, or at a human rights tribunal.

"They said they wouldn't be proud to introduce me and that I don't present an upstanding character. I'm a very open-minded person and a very loving person. To say I'm not of upright character, it's blasphemous."

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

"Our board of directors has eliminated her as a judge as tarot card reading and reiki are the occult and is not acceptable by God, Jews, Muslims or Christians. Tarot card reading is witchcraft and is used by witches, spiritists and mediums to consult the dark world."

This one just blows me away. The director is presuming to know what's in God's mind and what God does and does not accept as proper behavior. Where does this nut get off?

Ignorant, ignorant, ignorant.

It's almost as bad as the other day when a friend of mine asked me about Wicca (I'm not Wiccan, btw...) saying that she'd been to a Catholic Ladies' group at her church and the scheduled speaker couldn't attend for whatever reason so some woman decided to get up and talk about how Wicca was Satan worship! I told her just what the woman in the article says -- that Wiccans don't even believe in Satan so it would be a good trick for them to worship him!

#3 ~*Jazzy*~

~*Jazzy*~

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal happenings...and being able to discuss odd things without people running at you with a straight jacket!!<br /><br />Places I've had the luxury of investigating:<br /><br />Waverly Hills (Louisville, Kentucky)<br />Moundsville State Pen (West Virginia)<br />Prospect Mansion (Ohio)

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

WOW! Talk about discrimination in its finest form!!! I do not practice Wiccan, but have found that I have a lot of similar beliefs. I've read a lot about it and I know that they don't believe in Satan. This is a good example of people who believe they are educated when in fact they are not. Nothing worse in my book than an educated idiot! If only people would take the time to do a little research, have an open mind and get their facts straight before they start spewing garbage out of their mouths!!
Posted Image Thanks Aloha!!!The MAN on the cover of GQ that is in my profile pic is the LOVE of my life!

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

Ignorant and pathetic! Some people likes to stay in the stupid box all life long.
Posted Image

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

This is the email I fired off to them prior to heading out for lunch. When I calm down about this, I'll be crafting up an intelligent, well worded letter filled with stats and the like and sending it to them, their sponsors, the charities they support, the reporter who wrote that article above, Ms. Conover AND my city councillor via Register Mail.

To whom it may concern.

I just finished reading an article in the Toronto Star regarding your
rejection of one Stephanie Conover as a judge in your pagent due to her
practice of Riki and her use of tarot cards.

I am absolutely sickened, furious and outraged at the words you chose,
defaming polytheistic faiths and dismissing them as 'dark' and actually
pontificating to Ms. Conover in the hopes that she repents her
practice.

You DARE to claim that you support and celebrate muliculturalism in
Toronto, and yet spout such backward and medieval views? I personally
suggest that each and every one of you take the time and effort to
educate yourselves on faiths outside of the 'big three'. I would
suggest that you start here:
http://www.religious...rg/witchcra.htm

And learn TOLERANCE.

For the record, I personally am a Pagan and practicing Witch. I
personally am insulted and infurated by your statements to Ms. Conover
in your rejection letter to her. And I am personally embarrassed that
such views are held and spouted by a group who claims to be supportive
of other cultures, which by extension includes faiths and belief
systems outside of your god, Christianity, Islam and Judaism. You are
a group of hypocrites, plain and simple.

I will be writing to each and every one of your organizations sponsors,
and to each and every charity that you list as supporting. I have
already plastered the article in question on several international
internet forums.

I am furious. Insulted. Sickened. Hurt. Enraged. Dumbfounded that
such could still be spouted, in the city of Toronto, in the Country of
Canada in the 21st century!

Your views are exactly the kind of views that cause the great Witch
Hunts of medieval Europe. And that caused the needless deaths of
thousands upon thousands of innocent people.

For shame. You are the LAST group of people I want behind tourism to
Toronto.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

I remember years ago in my teens receiving some kind of letter from the local beauty pageant looking for entrants, which specifically stated that all participants must be active members of their church, which would mean no agnostics, let alone pagans, could even enter. I couldn't believe that was legal to include that restriction (since it was in no way a church-sponsored or religious-oriented pageant) even then, and it's still mind-boggling to me now. The whole pageant thing is sort of creepy and pointless to me anyway, but things like this just point up how archaic and stupid it is.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#7 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

hmm....so what century do we live in ?

Surprised they havent burnt her at the stake , so pathetic :Spaz:

#8 sororluna

sororluna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Seances, Mediumship, Ghosts, Hauntings, Psychic stuff<br /><br />University Lecturer in Latin, Ancient Greek, and Biblical Hebrew<br /><br />Founding Member of Psychics and Ghost Hunters of Western Oregon<br /><br />Reiki Master <br /><br />Light Body Graduate (www.orindaben.com)<br /><br />Have studied Parapsychology in my spare time since 1989<br /><br />Medium-in-Training since 1994 (Mainly mental mediumship however have some knowledge of physical as well).<br /><br />Lived in Durham, England for 2 years (my husband is British) and have seen 60+ mediums live in various Spiritualist Churches in the UK and USA, as well as attending psychic worshops and mediumship classes in both countries.<br /><br />10 or more years of personal, detailed, hands-on experience with EACH of the following faiths: Baptist, Catholic, Pagan/Witchcraft. <br /><br />I do Biblical Hebrew (Old Testament) and Biblical Greek (New Testament), if anybody wants any literal translations of paranormal matters in the Judaeo-Christian Bible. My main area of interest however is Latin, which I speak fluently and teach, and also Ancient Greek, if anybody wants literal translations of any Pagan writings. Also fairly fluent in Italian. Two terms of German as well :).

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

I remember years ago in my teens receiving some kind of letter from the local beauty pageant looking for entrants, which specifically stated that all participants must be active members of their church, which would mean no agnostics, let alone pagans, could even enter. I couldn't believe that was legal to include that restriction (since it was in no way a church-sponsored or religious-oriented pageant) even then, and it's still mind-boggling to me now. The whole pageant thing is sort of creepy and pointless to me anyway, but things like this just point up how archaic and stupid it is.

That's awful - I didn't know things were that bad :Spaz:

#9 PariahPeace

PariahPeace

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

I have to say, as a former pageant competitor, she's not missing out on anything. I got into pageants many years ago for fun and to meet people. Unfortunately, it is all a scam, a shady business where directors, photographers, dress makers, and contestants pay each other off and scam unsuspecting newbies.

I have found in my experience that many people leaning towards the things this woman is into are thoughtful, intelligent people. She shouldn't waste her time in pageantry, as it is well known to be made up of the vain, dishonest sort. Which makes it all the more amusing that Christianity and "Bible-believing" is so big in pageantry.
Posted Image

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

Ah, but the tarot card reading rejected judge is the crowned winner of the Miss Canada Plus Pageant 2007.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 sweetmamadot777

sweetmamadot777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality , Ghost history , Angels , My Family and my two wee doggies xx

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

Ah, but the tarot card reading rejected judge is the crowned winner of the Miss Canada Plus Pageant 2007.

Bravo !!! YOU are truly the star of this show! Lets put the tourism officals report where it really belongs :kitty:
Life isn't about waiting for the sun.It's about learning to dance in the rain

#12 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

It is a wonder that they haven't tryed to revolk her title since they found out her deep dark secret. STUPID ppl. :kitty:
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

It is a wonder that they haven't tryed to revolk her title since they found out her deep dark secret. STUPID ppl. :kitty:

I don't think the two pagents are 'run' by the same group of people, thankfully.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

GAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.citynews....news_19017.aspx

Miss Toronto Tourism, which isn't affiliated with the city's tourism office, stands by the decision. "We (accept) all religions, all nationalities, but we would reject them if they were into witchcraft," reaffirms pageant spokesperson Karen Murray.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

Miss Toronto Tourism, which isn't affiliated with the city's tourism office, stands by the decision. "We (accept) all religions, all nationalities, but we would reject them if they were into witchcraft," reaffirms pageant spokesperson Karen Murray.

!!!!!!

:kitty:

'S not my thing but it's a religion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users