• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Amber

Amber

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 08:42 PM

Yes I'm wanting to learn more about tarot cards and how to read them.  I want to study so that I know what I'm doing.  Can anyone give me some advice of where to start?
How did you get started?  What did you study, how did you learn, is there a certain deck that is best to start off with.

#2 thirteen

thirteen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 10:37 AM

I'd help you if I could, but I started the Tarot the painful  way...the manuals that come with some decks.  My first one was the Celtic Tarot - very, very beautiful.  The book that comes with it explains all the character myths, the symbolic art, the meaning of the card, and then what it means reveresed and proper - tho they don't call it that.  When you study the art, you get a better idea of what the card means.  I think the Celtic Tarot is one of the more complicated decks, and I'd suggest you start on a more simple deck, but they're all complicated to me.   :P  *shrugs*  I think you should try using one of those 'Tarot for Beginners' kinda books.  My friend did, and she learned quicker than me.  But, beware the dumbed-down variety...look for something that teaches you at least most of the ins'n'outs.   ;)  The ones that seem incredibly simple are just that - you won't learn anything near the money you put out.   :P  I know others love Silver Ravenwolf, but she don't give me 'nuff bang for my buck.   ;)  I wanna learn something I'm willing to use for $20 a pop...or whatever they shell out.  May I suggest, if you don't mind, that you look at one of the books by Ann Moura?  Tho she hasn't written anything specifically about Tarot, she is a very easy to understand author who teaches you real things about Witchcraft.  In "Green Witchcraft," Moura has tables for the Tarot, alternative layouts, Tea leaves reading, playing cards divination, scrying, and so on.  She has full on manuals and project books....Wicca made easy!   :D  I love her!  Oh! and Phyllis Curott, she has wonderful spells and charms in the appendices "Book of Shadows."  I'm totally off topic now....I'm sorry.  But I love my favorite authors!   ;D

Hope this Helps,
thirteen

#3 SpiritsOfMd

SpiritsOfMd

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:A little 'bit of everything!

Posted 13 October 2002 - 08:49 AM

Barnes and Noble give free classes on a variety of different topics and Beginner Tarot is one of them, all you have to do is sign up and pick up the book you need and they will teach the class online, check it out. Just go to the Barnes and Noble website.
[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]"EVEN IF YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK, IF YOU JUST SIT THERE YOU WILL STILL GET HIT"

#4 FaeryLights

FaeryLights

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 04:10 AM

Try a book called "Tarot for yourself" by Mary Greer.  I took a tarot class at a local pagan shop a little while back and the woman teaching had learned from that book 15 years ago... I've also gone through the book.. well its more of a work book not just some dry manual. It did help me learn.

#5 ScaretyCat

ScaretyCat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 05:31 PM

Hi Amber,
I have been doing Tarot for 30 years and I still buy books and take courses.  I am always looking for new spreads and new cards...
I have found that keeping the cards with you during the day where ever you go(within reason) helps you to get in 'tune' with them.  Over time I realized that feeling behind every deck is different.
The Ryder Waite deck was my first and now I have 7 different decks.  
To get started, work with your cards daily.  Look at the them and separate the major from the minor then the minor into suits.  Familarized yourself with their meanings. Some people just work with the major Arcana. (very Powerful)  
I bought a book recentlly called 'The Tarot in 10 Minutes'
by RT Kaser.  Stupid title, but It gives some good ideas on giving different readings(depending on the question asked)
Oh one other thing that will help you get in touch with your cards quickly is to ask your cards what kind of a day will I have today? then pull a card from the deck and read it...see what they tell you... it is a splendid way to learn.

#6 Muhre

Muhre

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 05:46 PM

Amber,  It seems there is a lot of good information here already.  I can only add that you only need to become comfortable with the cards of your choice.  Let the feelings come from them to you.  It becomes easier over time.  I started working with the tarot cards when I was 13 and I still have not learned all there is to know.  I am always looking for that one deck that is in tune with the way I think.  I may never find that deck but over the years I have learned new ways to look at things and a world of interpretation.  Just relax with the cards and good luck.  

#7 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:paranormal research, writing, art, photography, psychology, movies, good books, good music, travel.. anything that keeps my life interesting!<br /><br />

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:16 AM

I'm just starting to learn tarot myself. I just went to Barnes and Noble and looked around... the deck that calle to me the most, I bought... which was the "Original Rider-waite tarot deck". I like it... it'll just take practice to learn the cards well.... one thing I don't recommend it reading Waite's little Tarot book.... too complex and rather useless.. to me at least. They have Tarot for Dummies, which breaks things down very well (not as bad as the name implies! LOL).

Ken
"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

#8 wnterstar

wnterstar

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:23 AM

I've been reading Tarot cards for about 20 years now.  My first deck was the Rider-Waite deck...now I have a Crow's Magick deck.   I'm not sure which deck is really that important as long as you understand the symbolism behind the illustrations.

I recently bought a book called "The Everything Tarot Book".  I think it's a wonderful resourse.

#9 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 20 October 2002 - 03:43 PM

I have been reading tarot for 20 years and use a Crowley Deck ( Thoth Deck )(which was designed as an update to the Midevil Tarot ) and am more prone to a Golden Dawn spread. I perfer it over the Celtic Cross spread used by most. For me it is much more informative and reads more like a story than bits and peices. The art contained in a Crowley deck was painted by Lady Frieda Harris and is magnificent in its beauty. The major difference between a Crowley deck and a Rider/Waite deck is that inverted cards DO NOT have oppisite meanings.
I personally feel that the most important part of choosing a Tarot Deck is to find a deck that suits you personally.  ;) They become a part of you  (almost like an extension of your spiritual self ). You become attached to them in a comforting sort of way. They help you see the truth of things.
I also suggest that when you begin you read for yourself only until you develop your skills. It is of the utmost importance to be comfortably adept in the use of the deck before you start telling other people about their lives.
There is a responsibility attached to reading Tarot because the person you are reading for is intent on every word in most cases and it is your duty to understand what you are seeing so that you tell them the truth and not your opinion.  :-[
Tarot is a powerful tool and it is important to understand their use. Educate yourself Educate yourself Educate yourself ;)

Celtic Cross :
a cross having essentially the form of a Latin cross with a ring about the intersection of the crossbar and upright shaft
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2002 - 05:46 PM

There is a lot said about this much of it not very helpful. Use your intuition. Go and look at some decks and find one that *feels* right. Learning to read them is easy and very hard. Do some reading get the major Arcarna down and then meditate on each card, take your time. Be alone somewhere peaceful quite and let your mind guide you. Do it repeatedly ... it takes effort to do it well. And contrary to much that is said anyone can do it.

Be wary about trying to do readings for other people. Especialy early on. The cards are a powerfull tool and should Always be treated with respect.

Love is the way.

Matt

#11 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 06:41 PM

Hmmmm that last post sounds familiar  :;)

Seems like Ive read that advice somewhere before in this post . I wonder who could have posted it?  :-/

Hmmmmm let me think about this one lol

;D Right on Matt :D

Which deck do you read? How long have you been reading Tarot? Which spread do you use?  

Id like your input on this one  :P
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#12 Azazel

Azazel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 06:39 AM

Im not familular with the new Tarots comming out. I come from a family that passes tarot down over the generations. My family and I might be considered a little religious when it comes to tarot but it is our way. Here are some of the ways we do things.

For your first deck:
1. You can never buy a deck for yourself, it must be a meaningful gift or the essence/meaning of the cards is lost and it must be re-worked.
2. Never do tarot without your trainer(Im my case my mother). Tarot can be a gateway to ghosts and other beings, and is dangerious to an unwary user.

For all your decks:
1. Always wrap your deck in clean silk. This protects your deck from outside energy influences and protects you, since your deck has an energy link to you.
2. Always charge the deck before a session. This reforms a stronger bond and over time provides stronger readings.
3. Always burn an old deck card by card, leaving no trace of picture, pattern, or name in a circle of protection for destroying all your non used, bad decks, and for destroying loved ones decks(Using them can possibly link you to them... causes trouble). This releases the energies from the cards in a protected way.

Please realise that tarot is not religiously specific, one of my ancestors used a hand made Catholic deck that was cleased by a priest. I understand that the tarot traditions very depending on your culture.

#13 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 27 December 2002 - 06:41 AM

very nice. see when i got my decks i just bought the ones that drew me to them. so for instance. my Vampire Deck is my favorite and most worn out, because it NEVER lies to me. hm... i dunno, i never got a tarot deck as a gift, but they work just the same, ya no?

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#14 Azazel

Azazel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 07:30 AM

I would not know, I personally hold to my family traditions and teachings to a point of practicality. Being raised in that enviroment Im sure would be the reason. Most tarot ceremony and process im sure is the remains of an era in which tarot was secret and sacred as it is to me. To many people its something like the Ouiji Board, just another kool thing to try to get answers in life. Where people like me consider Ouiji boards dangerious and tarot a serious affair. But like I said, it depends on your culture.

Somethings work for some, while other things work for others. Its just how I practice something, your means might be different but may achieve the same goal.

#15 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 28 December 2002 - 06:52 AM

Before wrapping your deck in silk for future use it is also wise to cleanse them with insense and a little thank you prayer.  :D

Very well summed up Azazel ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users