I just have a little question.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

I am just curious to know why people call on Ghost hunters. From what Ive read and seen, all that they do is tell people that their house is haunted or not(when it's obvious that the people who called on them already know their house is haunted) and offer advice that they have already heard from other people whom aren't even experts. I am just trying to understand the ghost hunting hype. I get that it can be fun and informative to see what is causing the disturbances in their homes, but can't they just go out and buy an audio tape recorder and video camera of their own and do it themselves?

DISCLAIMER: please if you are a ghost hunter do not be offended. I am not calling you useless. I am just curious.

I think it's really important to know that not everyone understands what is going on in their homes when weird things start happening. We have to keep in mind that even though shows like Ghost Whisperer, TAPS and Most Haunted are all the rage right now, still the majority of people have no idea what is going on in their homes and don't even think it's possibly paranormal. If they do think they are haunted, they are scared out of their minds. I think a person or family only calls in "Ghost Hunters" or Paranormal Investigators as a last resort after every other logical explanation for the activity has been exhausted.

Most people feel embarrassed, think they are crazy, are afraid they are losing thier minds, etc. when these types of events are happening in their homes. Also, they do not talk about it with others for fear of being ostracized. Contrary to how it seems right now, that there is vast acceptance of an afterlife, ghosts, spirits, the paranormal and such, still most people do not believe in this as we (GV members) do. There are probably thousands of skeptics to every one believer, or even higher than that. Plus, depending on a person's relgious background and upbringing, the fear and stigma associated with the paranormal far outweighs any willingness to believe they are being haunted. We are told at a very young age that there are no such things as ghosts and are taught to be ashamed of any abilities we have as children. Remember our imaginary friends, lots of them are actually our spirit guides and/or protectors. By age 6 we are told they don't exist and so we block out that part of our brain in order to please our parents.

So when a person finally makes the decision to call in a team, it is only after much internal debate when they have finally reached their wits end. I know this for a fact because I lived in my house 11 years before I called in a team, and both my daughter and I are psychic and knew we had a spirit or many spirits and portals here. I had no idea how to use a video recorder, EMF meter, tape recorder, EVP recorder, etc, nor would I bother buying any of these items, even though I knew we had something here. Having said that, when the team came, at no charge, and validated everything we saw and even helped some of the spirits move on, it was a huge relief to say the least. Now of course I know how to deal with them myself, so there's no need for another team. But 99.9% of people would never be able to do that for themselves.

I'm so happy that most GVers are Investigators and not Ghost Hunters. Investigators help people and spirits; ghost hunters are just in it for a cheap thrill. I would never describe working with dead people as fun.....there is nothing fun about a soul stuck between two planes of existence. My heart goes out to them and I want to find out why they are stuck, if they are just here for a visit, and what I can do to help.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#17 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

I am just curious to know why people call on Ghost hunters. From what Ive read and seen, all that they do is tell people that their house is haunted or not(when it's obvious that the people who called on them already know their house is haunted) and offer advice that they have already heard from other people whom aren't even experts. I am just trying to understand the ghost hunting hype. I get that it can be fun and informative to see what is causing the disturbances in their homes, but can't they just go out and buy an audio tape recorder and video camera of their own and do it themselves?

DISCLAIMER: please if you are a ghost hunter do not be offended. I am not calling you useless. I am just curious.

I think it's really important to know that not everyone understands what is going on in their homes when weird things start happening. We have to keep in mind that even though shows like Ghost Whisperer, TAPS and Most Haunted are all the rage right now, still the majority of people have no idea what is going on in their homes and don't even think it's possibly paranormal. If they do think they are haunted, they are scared out of their minds. I think a person or family only calls in "Ghost Hunters" or Paranormal Investigators as a last resort after every other logical explanation for the activity has been exhausted.

Most people feel embarrassed, think they are crazy, are afraid they are losing thier minds, etc. when these types of events are happening in their homes. Also, they do not talk about it with others for fear of being ostracized. Contrary to how it seems right now, that there is vast acceptance of an afterlife, ghosts, spirits, the paranormal and such, still most people do not believe in this as we (GV members) do. There are probably thousands of skeptics to every one believer, or even higher than that. Plus, depending on a person's relgious background and upbringing, the fear and stigma associated with the paranormal far outweighs any willingness to believe they are being haunted. We are told at a very young age that there are no such things as ghosts and are taught to be ashamed of any abilities we have as children. Remember our imaginary friends, lots of them are actually our spirit guides and/or protectors. By age 6 we are told they don't exist and so we block out that part of our brain in order to please our parents.

So when a person finally makes the decision to call in a team, it is only after much internal debate when they have finally reached their wits end. I know this for a fact because I lived in my house 11 years before I called in a team, and both my daughter and I are psychic and knew we had a spirit or many spirits and portals here. I had no idea how to use a video recorder, EMF meter, tape recorder, EVP recorder, etc, nor would I bother buying any of these items, even though I knew we had something here. Having said that, when the team came, at no charge, and validated everything we saw and even helped some of the spirits move on, it was a huge relief to say the least. Now of course I know how to deal with them myself, so there's no need for another team. But 99.9% of people would never be able to do that for themselves.

I'm so happy that most GVers are Investigators and not Ghost Hunters. Investigators help people and spirits; ghost hunters are just in it for a cheap thrill. I would never describe working with dead people as fun.....there is nothing fun about a soul stuck between two planes of existence. My heart goes out to them and I want to find out why they are stuck, if they are just here for a visit, and what I can do to help.

I'm glad it worked for you. Although, one of my friends, a while back invited a team of "experts" into her home to investigate, they told her that her house was haunted and left. That just made her spirits worse and her problems deepen. They taunted the spirit or spirits and left her with some rather disturbing occurrences to deal with on her own. We were talking about this other night and that is why I started this topic.

#18 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:38 PM

Oh, that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I guess like with anything, it's buyer beware. I fully checked out the team before they came to my home. I went to their website and spoke with the leader at length (at least 3 times on the phone) before they came to my home. We discussed what they would and would not do, and if anything was in the home they couldn't deal with, they had someone lined up to come in. Luckily what was here was not evil and just needed a little nudging on to the next plane.

Has the problem been solved for your friend? I hope so.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#19 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

I'm glad it worked for you. Although, one of my friends, a while back invited a team of "experts" into her home to investigate, they told her that her house was haunted and left. That just made her spirits worse and her problems deepen. They taunted the spirit or spirits and left her with some rather disturbing occurrences to deal with on her own. We were talking about this other night and that is why I started this topic.

Yeah... that's a big problem with a lot of these programs that are so popular right now. The team I work with has dealt with cleaning up that sort of thing numerous times... and I've done cleanup duty more than once... it is NOT fun dealing with an entity that's been ticked off by some of these idiots!

Of course, 99.99% of the responsibility for this sort of occurrence has to fall on the fly-by-night "investigators" but as in any other service, the person doing the calling has to be careful when actually asking someone in... ESPECIALLY since it's most often someone's home! You're not going to simply call the first plumber out of the book and hope for the best... you're going to research and try to find someone reputable (even if the research is calling the neighbor and saying "my sink's just burst open... who do you use"). The paranormal's the same thing except you have more time to research.

I know when I was in a position to call someone in, I really researched it and agonized over it and researched it some more before I finally contacted a group in my area that seemed professional. There were half a dozen or so groups in the area that I decided to NOT contact because they had things like Slimer up on their site or they said they were mainly a reading group or their professed methodology made me nervous or they had just started advertising (I know people need to start somewhere... but no experience makes me nervous... I don't want to be my doctor's first patient and I don't want to be an investigator's first haunting). Fast forward several years and I work with the group I called in. Some of the things that helped me make the decision is that the founders trained under a well-known, well-respected local psychic, they had many years of experience operating as the currently-named group, they said on the site that they were researchers and would help find someone to explore solutions if the haunting were intolerable (I didn't find out until they were in the house that the "someones" were part of the group). It also helped that I had a clear idea of what I wanted when I called them... and asked the intake coordinator almost as many questions as she asked me!

Sometimes, too... though most of the time a haunting is residual or a ghost can be convinced to move on by a homeowner... there's some nasty stuff that you run up against that someone who's not been in the field for a while isn't going to have the first clue how to deal with. I'm pretty open about when I read something that sounds like a homeowner could do a cleansing and when I think they should get someone in.

If it weren't bordering on libel and asking for trouble... I'd say plaster that fly-by-night group's name all over the internet... because a lot of the time people wind up on boards just like this when they're trying to figure out if they've got a ghost or if they're crazy.

#20 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:52 AM

I think another reason could be because the people asking for help in a haunting could be to emotional and want to hear from someone thats clear minded to look at the matter logically.

Hey, Tantric Kitten I didn't know you was a GVer :Spaz:

#21 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'm not sure why others call on ghost hunters but I can tell you why some of our clients have called us. Sure they know something is going on in their house and they could go out and get their own equipment and research their house but wouldn't you rather have some one out that does it more often and knows the equipment. I know we have been called out to many cases simpley just because they want to know that they aren't crazy and that there is something there. We have been called out on cases to perform cleasings as well. They want the negative entity or energy out!! I have also come across some that really just want a group in their house because they think it's neat. There are many different reasons why we get called out. Just my 2 cents.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#22 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

I have also come across some that really just want a group in their house because they think it's neat.

I never really thought of this one before, but I suppose it's true. If I thought i had a haunting I would definately call someone from a professional organization to come in. I would want to further the research in this field, help them find evidence any way I could. If no one called in investigators when they thought they had a haunting, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much evidence to offer proof of the paranormal.
Posted Image

#23 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hi Sara

I can only give my point of view and experience on this, as I know there are lots of so called ghosthunters who just to do it for kicks, and are basically of no use whatsoever.

However, I like to think the majority like myself take Paranormal Investigating very seriously.

Not only do we obviously investigate said property we also put the minds of the owners at ease and verify what is actually happened. Yes of course you can go out buy the odd camcorder etc, but alot of good groups have very sophisticated equipment that can either prove or debunk whether somewhere is haunted.

My job would be to either make contact with the spirit and/or find out who they are and the history of them. And if needs be encourage them to leave and move on.

However, they may not want to leave if they enjoy being there, and are previous oocupants of the property, as they have every right to be there, provided they are not harming or upsetting the occupants.

And the most important thing there is no charge to do it !

Mark :)

#24 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

Oh, that's awful. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I guess like with anything, it's buyer beware. I fully checked out the team before they came to my home. I went to their website and spoke with the leader at length (at least 3 times on the phone) before they came to my home. We discussed what they would and would not do, and if anything was in the home they couldn't deal with, they had someone lined up to come in. Luckily what was here was not evil and just needed a little nudging on to the next plane.

Has the problem been solved for your friend? I hope so.

Yeah, she started talking to it.....Not like she's a psychic or anything but when something would happen she'd just talk to it. It eventually just sort of died down. Every once in a while something strange happens there but it usually only happens when she's talking about hauntings or spirits. Weird. :) I guess she should have researched first... I was telling her that it was like buying a car look at quite a few before buying one, cause you might end up with a lemon. :hug:

#25 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

Personally, I think people call in a team because when there's a problem you want someone with experience. Sure my husband can stitch up that cut but I would rather have a doctor do it.
Another point made before: sometimes just being told yes I saw it too but, don't worry, it wont hurt you, is all people really need to hear. A group worth its salt will be able to either help or point you in the direction of help if you need it. I get the feeling a large percentage just need a bit of validation.

As for the side convo about the difference between and investigator and a hobbyist. Just like anything else, there are going to be people who jump in, buy all the equipment and decide to be ghost hunters, just like on TV. I am sure most of those people will put the equipment in the closet with the scuba gear, the orienteering maps and dirt bike helmet soon enough.
Ive been part of the "why do you want to investigate the paranormal?" conversation on several occasions. After you get past all of the explanations and rationalisations, it boils down to two things. I don't quite understand and want to, and its exciting.
I dont feel like I have to explain why I quilt, love animals, ride a motorcycle or enjoy being near spirits.
Looking into paranormal groups: Good luck in my area. bleck! The ones I would call for help are few and far between.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#26 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

I think that most people just don't understand what spirits want. They don't know how to communicate or help the spirit. They call on paranormal teams for peace of mind and just a few answers as to what they are experiencing.

I started doing paranormal investigating and research in 1983 and even if I don't get out and actively pursue as much today I still occasionally do. With that in mind, I don't care if someone wants to call us ghostbusters, ghost hunters, paranormal investigators or researchers or whatever. It's how a team presents itself that counts.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#27 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:35 AM

I think that most people just don't understand what spirits want. They don't know how to communicate or help the spirit. They call on paranormal teams for peace of mind and just a few answers as to what they are experiencing.

I started doing paranormal investigating and research in 1983 and even if I don't get out and actively pursue as much today I still occasionally do. With that in mind, I don't care if someone wants to call us ghostbusters, ghost hunters, paranormal investigators or researchers or whatever. It's how a team presents itself that counts.

That's a good answer Axman.

Amy, I think I have the same problem finding good ones in my area also. My friend only had a choice of three, and the only ones who seemed like they would be good for the job, screwed up.

Honestly, I was quite surprised at all the responses this thread received. I Thank you all for your Information and opinions. :)

#28 lostinsprits

lostinsprits

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

I cna't say for everyone, but for me, it was a prossess. First I had to actually question my own sanity. I had to know that the things I was experiancing were real. The Team that is working with me now looks for all reasonal answers, like when you were a kid and called your parents to check the closet for you and found a sock shadow or something. They look at everything and even have a Phcy. on the team. When they can't explain things, as in my case they further investogate to deside what it is you have, thus answering more questions. Then. they will help me deside what to do about it. THey don't just walk in.. say... YUP, there's a ghostie, and then walk out. They try to find answers what ever they may be, and then help people like me deal with it. This could mean moving, "cleaning" the house, what ever. But they should not just leave you hanging if they are a good team.

#29 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

This is a great, great question and there are is a lot of good thinking going on.

This is the most difficult aspect of a true investigative team. Most teams do not have Psychologists and psychiatrists on hand. Without this type of insight into the human mind, it's development, and it's "health" A team may not ever see the signals of someone who is merely having mental health issues. This is probably more common than most investigators think.

I feel that a true investigative team should be able to get clients to see the importance of seeing a professional either prior to an investigation or at the same time. Investigations should not be a 2 hour stint. It can require weeks of assistance and perceverance. Not just to "find" a ghost, but to help the client.

Just telling someone that yes, they have a ghost, isn't going to being them to peace necessarily. Performaing a "cleansing" (afterall, it's neither scientifically proven to work nor is it 100% effective) won't necessarily bring about peace either.

There are so many facets to huantings and how the human mind works, that investigators along cannot provide a solid resolution. Perhaps not even to the ghost!

Even though I may sound negative on all this, I don't think it points to investigative team futility.... just that there are more avenues that a team needs to be aware of and need to be willing to work with, for both the client and the well..... ghost?

#30 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

This is the most difficult aspect of a true investigative team. Most teams do not have Psychologists and psychiatrists on hand. Without this type of insight into the human mind, it's development, and it's "health" A team may not ever see the signals of someone who is merely having mental health issues. This is probably more common than most investigators think.

Maybe some groups dont keep mental health in mind but, its pretty much in the back of my mind from the first moment.

Just telling someone that yes, they have a ghost, isn't going to being them to peace necessarily. Performaing a "cleansing" (afterall, it's neither scientifically proven to work nor is it 100% effective) won't necessarily bring about peace either.

On this I think you would be suprised. Hauntings that are dangerous or intrusive are very rare. There are a lot of households living comfortably with residents from the other side. A little education leads to empowerment. They stop fearing their home and every noise it makes. Finding out that theyre not crazy or imagining things does a lot of people a lot of good. Their home becomes theirs again.

Investigations should not be a 2 hour stint. It can require weeks of assistance and perceverance. Not just to "find" a ghost, but to help the client.

2 hour investigations? Can you imagine?
There is nothing left to say.Me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users