I thought this was interesting.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:54 AM

I was looking for pictures of Archangels cause i happen to love Angels. I guess it's their apperance. Anyway so i came across the Archangel Uriel and i found this:

This understanding of true spiritual study is further supported by the tradition that Uriel brought to Earth: Alchemy, the heavenly arcana and was the giver of the Cabala to man.

So naturally i went in search from a passage of the Bible, which reads as such:

Deuteronomy 18 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [1] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD , and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.

Now i'm the first person to whip out the Bible as i'm sure most of you know and try to make sense of any topic regarding it, but that has me so confused, my head hurts.

Posted Image

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim. --Ovid--

#2 rattie_lover

rattie_lover

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

ah pandora you like angels 2? my room has angels all over the place. mostly pictures and such. its all that old world type of charm of angel decor i think if you see in the pic you could get an idea what i'm talking about........hehe

thats my sis tasha not me.....lol ;)
<: 3 )~.<-----rat, can u tell.love, nicolemy own website: http://nicolekruetzfeldt.tripod.com/

#3 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests:“If you’re going to dine with the devil, make sure you have a long spoon.”

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:35 PM

i like the pictures on your walls!!! i so love angels. like you said it must be the charm. i'm currently beginning to collect angelic items.  ;)

Posted Image

#4 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:49 PM

I found a site that went through several different translations of the bible, and on first glance, the majority of them seemed to imply dark arts, or using the magic etc for evil intent.  
 It does seem strange that the gift was given to mankind, but then we are forbidden to use it, or could it be like the Garden of Eden, where we had it, misused it, and it was taken from us.
Posted Image

#5 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:59 AM

it reminds me of the story of Prometheus.

Posted Image

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:50 AM

Prometheus?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:18 AM

Greek Myth.  Prometheus stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humans, along with a host of knowledge that would help them survive and thrive.

As punishment, Zeus had Prometheus chained to a mountain top, and his innards were ripped out each day by an eagle.  Zeus also sent Pandora and her box to humans, and we all know what was in that box!  ;)  Hercules eventually killed the Eagle and freed Prometheus.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#8 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:38 AM

Angels are beautiful in all forms....  I have this thing for unicorns, I think that they come from heaven ;)
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#9 WhyteWatcher

WhyteWatcher

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:54 AM

Hey Rattie...what's that shadow across your sis in that pic?  

#10 Cristelle32

Cristelle32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:24 AM

if we have been given a gift, then it means we can use it as we wish!

all these 'forbidden fruits' just make the hunger stronger, eat them, i say!

#11 Persia

Persia

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:43 AM

Vampchick21, thanx for posting that. The thing of it is, if it wasn't stolen, and he freely gave it to us.... *head starts to hurt again* I think i'll just try to research it more.

Posted Image

#12 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:40 PM

Alot of religions have different beliefs.Some I don't agree with, like some people will not let Drs. treat there loved ones and another won't use blood trans fusions. Why would God give man this knowledge if he didn't want the knowledge used to help his children? I don't understand that, but it's not up to me to understand everything, so life goes on!

#13 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:03 AM

According to my Greek teacher in hs, she told me that this sentence was translated wrong from the original texts. Originally, the commandment was not to 'suffer a troublemaker'. Back then, old gossipy women were always stirring up crap because they were always getting into other people's business. Harsh punishment to be sure for some neighborly chitchat, lol, but times were tougher then! lol Anyhoo, I disregard that passage as I do alot in the Bible. After all, this is found in the Old Testament and in the New Testament, Jesus did remark that he was here to establish a new coventant between earth and heaven and for me, it means that all the old laws got chucked out! And good riddance I say!! lol ;D

#14 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:33 AM

Pandora was sent down to man to even things out after they were given fire and knowledge by prometheus- and was the cause of all mankinds woes.  When Epimetheus took her as his bride, Pandora brought with her a dowry of a jar (not a box) in which were stored sorrows and diseases and hard labour, previously unknown to man.  In Classical art Pandora's jar became confused with the box the Psyche was forbidden to open.  (sorry, quite a bit of an aside, but its all knowledge, right?)

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:43 AM

Pandora was sent down to man to even things out after they were given fire and knowledge by prometheus- and was the cause of all mankinds woes.  When Epimetheus took her as his bride, Pandora brought with her a dowry of a jar (not a box) in which were stored sorrows and diseases and hard labour, previously unknown to man.  In Classical art Pandora's jar became confused with the box the Psyche was forbidden to open.  (sorry, quite a bit of an aside, but its all knowledge, right?)

Pandora, you........ [smiley=cwm27.gif] [smiley=cwm27.gif]
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users