• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 biada

biada

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:46 AM

In my room and my room only, there is this smokey stintch that I smell sometimes. It's starting to piss me off. It's like just a hint of it and happends every now and then.

#2 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hi Biada

This is quite common in paranormal terms, often spirits in visitation cannot materialise like we expect them to or let us know they are there by making noises or moving something, so the next step is to give us aromas.

Was there a past family member that smoked ?

This is of course you have debunked all the obvious natural things

Mark :cheerleader:

#3 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

How old is your house?

It could be that some former tenant smoked heavily and it's in the walls and flooring.

Does it seem to happen more often when it's humid out (raining or hot and sticky)? Does it seem to come and go with the furnace or the air conditioner (if you have central air)? Maybe when you've moved furniture?

I'm not saying it couldn't be paranormal but go after natural causes with a vengeance first... simply because cigarette and cigar smoke NEVER go away. I get whiffs of smoke around the house from someone I know... and once even had ashes dropped in my keyboard for my husband to find and yell at me for (I smoke but I don't do it in the house and how stupid would I have to be to drop ashes in my own keyboard).

Edited by Tantric Kitten, 13 February 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#4 Cynthia_TN

Cynthia_TN

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Beyond the paranormal, which is obvious, I like to read (mainly paranormal books, bios, true crime, etc..), make graphics and layouts, playing Texas Hold 'Em ( I racked up some dough New Year's Eve! lol), and I enjoy doing a lot of outdoor type things. I come from a drag racing family, so it's always fun to head to the track to watch my family race.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

How old is your house?

It could be that some former tenant smoked heavily and it's in the walls and flooring.

Does it seem to happen more often when it's humid out (raining or hot and sticky)? Does it seem to come and go with the furnace or the air conditioner (if you have central air)? Maybe when you've moved furniture?

I'm not saying it couldn't be paranormal but go after natural causes with a vengeance first... simply because cigarette and cigar smoke NEVER go away. I get whiffs of smoke around the house from someone I know... and once even had ashes dropped in my keyboard for my husband to find and yell at me for (I smoke but I don't do it in the house and how stupid would I have to be to drop ashes in my own keyboard).

LOL@ashes in the keyboard! lol!

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand....Tantric Kitten is absolutely right, smoke has a way of absorbing into walls and carpet and can be smelled years and years later. I don't know exactly how you would test for that, or even if you can. So, that is something that you might want to keep in mind. When you smell this scent, make a mental note about the conditions in the room at the time. Did the heat just come on, the air conditioning..etc? You might find the source of the problem.

With that being said, sometimes scents can be associated with a spirit paying you a visit from time to time as Mark stated. Have you had an other strange experiences within that room?
Posted Image

#5 biada

biada

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

This only happend recently. It's been occuring for 3 days now. And it's just a hint of it. I can't trace the smell. When laying in bed, I sometimes get a big wift of it. So bad, that at times, I get a headache.

I just google Phantom Smell and there are other explanation such as mental health, brain tumor etc.. But since it's only in this room, I highly doub't any of that.

The home is fairly new not sure when it was built. A Japanese family moved out 3 years ago and thats all I know.

How old is your house?

LOL@ashes in the keyboard! lol!

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand....Tantric Kitten is absolutely right, smoke has a way of absorbing into walls and carpet and can be smelled years and years later. I don't know exactly how you would test for that, or even if you can. So, that is something that you might want to keep in mind. When you smell this scent, make a mental note about the conditions in the room at the time. Did the heat just come on, the air conditioning..etc? You might find the source of the problem.

With that being said, sometimes scents can be associated with a spirit paying you a visit from time to time as Mark stated. Have you had an other strange experiences within that room?

#6 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

My grandma passed away over 10 yrs ago and sometimes I can smell my favorite soup she used to make me when I was little. The smell doesn't linger and lasts only a few seconds and I know no one else is cooking in jenjen's house. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I like to think grandma is just coming by to say hello.

Whatever

#7 lavenderwolf_6

lavenderwolf_6

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hey, Biada!

Just a couple questions....has anyone you know who smokes passed away recently? Or, was there possibly a small fire in the house? Do you know if anyone in the family who lived there before you was a heavy smoker? Does it smell like cigarette smoke or is it a "something's burning" smell?

Keep us updated!

Blessed Be!
LavenderWolf_6

#8 biada

biada

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Ok, I am happy to say that the smell is gone. A little self hypnosis and prayer and its gone. It's weird to because the morning before, I saw something that wasn't there or it was a dream.

I woke up at about 5am, there was a translucent girl in the early 20's wearning I think was a white dress or so, sitting on the edge of my bed looking at me, As I woke up and turn around, she got up, walked to the door and dissappeared. I then went back to sleep. Anyways from that day on, the burnt/cigerette smell went away.

Hey, Biada!

Just a couple questions....has anyone you know who smokes passed away recently? Or, was there possibly a small fire in the house? Do you know if anyone in the family who lived there before you was a heavy smoker? Does it smell like cigarette smoke or is it a "something's burning" smell?

Keep us updated!

Blessed Be!
LavenderWolf_6

#9 sweetmamadot777

sweetmamadot777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality , Ghost history , Angels , My Family and my two wee doggies xx

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:25 AM

My Mother passed away 23 yrs. ago, I have only truly felt her presence once in all that time....the reason I knew it was her ? the smell, I can't even describe it, it wasn't perfume or anything...Mum didn't wear perfume as such back when she was alive, it was just a cognitive smell...of mother and child I guess. I should mention that, after her passing, I got her nightie and robe from the hospital, I kept these unwashed for the longest time, simply because I could smell my Mum off them.(I hope that doesn't freak anybody out !) but these were put away for a couple of years before her "visit", and I hadn't thought about her smell.....it was just there that day !
Life isn't about waiting for the sun.It's about learning to dance in the rain

#10 qtswede

qtswede

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

that happens to me all the time, especially since I'm expecting child no 2. I'm VERY sensitive to smells, and have always been able to tell one family member from another, scent wise, so I am convinced it's my family members past that are popping in to say hello. I often greet them too. they may be trying to tell you something.

#11 rediva

rediva

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

You may want to check out the electrical in your house. I have gotten that smell before and I am pretty sure that it is because we replaced the light fixture in our bedroom and sometimes when we turn on the light you can smell that burning smell for just a few minutes and then it goes away.

My mom smells her husband around at times. He passed of Cancer a little over a year ago. She tells me that she knows it is him because she smells him. She thinks she is smelling the cancer. He also will wake her up if she forgets to set her alarm clock. One time he woke her up by turning the lights on and off and she realized that she forgot to turn on her security system. He always told her that he would watch after her. He has also woken her up by telling her that he loves her. It only happens when she is at home alone.

#12 angrycelt

angrycelt

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Besides the paranormal, my interests are reading, working out, video gaming (PC...not that console nonsense), and professional interest in my job.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

In my room and my room only, there is this smokey stintch that I smell sometimes. It's starting to piss me off. It's like just a hint of it and happends every now and then.

To offer a different perspective, I once had about a year where I smelled the unpleasant smell of burning flesh and carbide smoke. The reason wasn't paranormal, it was psychological. I am a first responder and worked a case where a two-year old boy had accidently shot himself with his father's gun. I was first on scene and sadly couldn't do anything to save the boy. The smell was my mind's way of coping with the horrible event.

Hopefully you haven't had anything like that happen, but think back in your past maybe a traumatic event happened to your subconscious mind associates smoke with?
"There are two things that cannot be cured: death and the want of sense."old Irish proverb.

#13 Fay

Fay

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

To offer a different perspective, I once had about a year where I smelled the unpleasant smell of burning flesh and carbide smoke. The reason wasn't paranormal, it was psychological. I am a first responder and worked a case where a two-year old boy had accidently shot himself with his father's gun. I was first on scene and sadly couldn't do anything to save the boy. The smell was my mind's way of coping with the horrible event.

Hopefully you haven't had anything like that happen, but think back in your past maybe a traumatic event happened to your subconscious mind associates smoke with?

This website has really helped me understand what I've experienced this week, which I'd like to share with you to see if anyone has any additional insights. Here's what happened:

March 4, 2008 (about 5:00 in the morning) In the middle of the night, I was having a stressful dream when I suddenly turned around (in the dream) and there was a woman right in front of my face. I screamed, “Who are you?!” She startled (at my scream) and then stood frozen in front of me while I screamed 3 times to wake myself up. She was about 60, grandmotherly, with fading blond hair pulled back in a bun. She had a calf-length wool gray skirt, and a soft green cardigan sweater. I thought she looked Scandinavian or northern European (Swedish or Swiss). I was terrified, breathing heavily, shaking. I got up and paced around the house trying to shake it out of my system. It was unlike any nightmare I’ve ever had.

At 7:30 a.m., my housekeeper-friend Betty arrived and I told her about my “dream.” At 9:30, I walked into the master bedroom and said, “I really like your perfume.” Not only was Betty not wearing any perfume (or hand or body cream or recent shampoo), she couldn’t smell it. I said, “You must smell it. It’s real pretty…a floral.” A few minutes later after opening and closing a drawer, I said, “There it is again. Don’t you smell it?” She said, “I think it’s only meant for you to smell.”

I went off to teach school, and completely forgot about the perfume. When I returned at about 12:30, Betty had left and my mind was on many other things. I washed my hands and tossed the paper towel in the trash. I closed the drawer and turned toward the refrigerator (I was starving), but stopped to pop on the counter-top TV, and there was the perfume again. “Ellie,” I said, “is that you?” I had the feeling that her name started with E.—Ella or Ellie—and that we was telling me that she hadn’t meant to scare me that morning in my dream. I checked the trash just to be sure there wasn’t a magazine with a perfume sample, but it just smelled like trash. So, I said, “Thanks for the pretty scent.”

The next morning (Wednesday), I got up, not thinking anything about this at all and after getting my son off to school, went to turn on the kitchen counter TV, and there was the smell again. This time it was fainter and didn’t linger. It was only a few seconds, and I had the distinct impression she was saying, “Goodbye, I’m leaving now.”

Thursday night (or more precisely Friday morning at 1:30 am), I woke up screaming. I have no recollection of why I was screaming, but my husband said he had been yelling, “What is it?” and trying to wake me up for many seconds before I stopped. I knew my scream was piecing and sustained, like that of an actor in a horror movie. I asked, “Did it sound like the scream of someone when they see a man coming through the window with an axe?” He said, “No, it sounded like he was in your bed with an axe.”

Friday evening I found this website and discovered that that floral, especially rose and sometimes lavender or lilac, perfumes are a common occurrence in ghost communication. It read that once a spirit comes to you, there might be a period when you are extra sensitive to receiving communication and that other spirits may try to contact you as well. I think that’s what happened the Thursday night, and though I don’t remember anything but screaming, I have a sense that it was a male spirit that frightened me.

#14 SeekX

SeekX

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

I would first eliminate all natural possibilities of the occurrences if i could . :)

Danny

#15 eppie

eppie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, music, teaching, reading, dancing and exercise

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

When I was smelling things that could not possibly be "there" like cirgaettes, rotten strawberries, whiskey....my doc called them olfactory hallucinations and ordered a cat scan.

The smells preceded horrible migraines. They are called auras. some folks get visual auras before a migraine...I get smells.

Edited by eppie, 01 April 2008 - 07:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users