#16 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

-You acknowledge God's ability to Heal

-Ask to be made a vessel/conduit of that Healing

-Ask God's permission to Heal the person<if it is not their destined time to go Home>

-Ask the person if they want to be Healed*this is where I've seen a lot of would be healers kind of muck up, 'specially with an older patient, who may well want to be reunited with a spouse in the Afterlife*

For another Faith<Pagan vs Christian>its diplomacy, you're asking your own Divinity to channel the ability to Heal and
asking the One of the Christians if He will allow this person to live

MY GOD, Justa! That's actually very frightening! I'm glad you weren't so filled with religious zeal that you didn't march off to get a shot of penicillan
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#17 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:06 PM

I believe that with faith healing that the persons faith and how strong their beilfs is what helps them to heal or to show signs of healing.   :)

#18 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:15 PM

LdS have a ritual we perform when we give blessings.  Only Elders can give blessings (others can pray for the person, but not perform this ordinance).

An Elder annoints the head of the afflicted with olive oil.  He gives a short prayer declaring his priesthood and that the oil had been consecrated.

Then the annointent is sealed with a blessing.  Again, the person is called by name and the Elder declares his priesthood.    The Elder should then proceed to say whatever the Spirit directs him.

Elders should only give blessings when requested or if it is an emergency (ie, one person administer first aid while the Elder pleads that the person live at least until a doctor can arrive).

I once gave a blessing to a young woman who had fainted and couldn't be revived.  Her roommates called 911 and had me perform the ordinance waiting for the ambulance.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#19 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:13 AM

Just out of curiosity, why is only the elders that can bless?  Can't anybody be trained in the ritual?

You're right Whispers, thankfully my parents raised me to be somewhat cynical about things.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Posted Image

#20 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:57 AM

Aloha, with all due respect, I gotta agree with Justa, it may be a matter of theological semantics, but I always thought a Blessing on a person was simply a prayer to intercede :-/
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#21 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 28 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

Just out of curiosity, why is only the elders that can bless?  Can't anybody be trained in the ritual?

We define priesthood as the authority to act in God's name.  For some reason, the priesthood is restricted to worthy men.  Also, there are different offices within the priesthood.  Each office has certain priviliges and responsibilities.  

Formal blessings are a function of the priesthood.  In them, the Elder talks to the individual directly, being the mouthpiece of God.  "John, in the name of the Lord, I bless you that ..."

In prayers, we direct our petition to the Almighty. "Lord, I ask thee to bless John, that he ..."

I almost forgot to add something, an Elder cannot give a formal blessing to himself.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users