Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

knock,knock were with the church or mormons!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:26 AM

One of my best friends for a long time was a Jehovah's witness, and I'm sorry to say, but when I get to know a person, I feel at liberty to argue with them about their beliefs.  It doesn't matter if I believe exactly what they do or not, I'll argue with them and find all the logical imperfection in their beliefs (this doesn't affect those belonging to a religion because their faith card covers all).  But anyway, after a few years I had some pretty air tight arguments against Jehovas Witnessism... if only I was more comfortable with confrontation I don't think I'd be bothered by them any more...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#17 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 07:42 AM

Mel, I've tried debating biblic interpretations with the J/W
and it always backfires. Its a bit like trying to verbally correct an annoying behavior, you're actually reinforcing it
with the amount of attention you're giving it, so they come back with friends who marvel at your intelligence.

I am glad you were able to rescue your friend, though :)
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#18 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:46 AM

who said anything about rescuing him? the past tense was referring to the fact that he's no longer my friend... his parents told him not to talk to me any more...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#19 snap43nib

snap43nib

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:48 AM

I won't argue over religion anymore, first off I'm not really religious, I have only been in churches for wedding, funerals, and just to check out the architecture.  So really I don't care just don't push it on me.  I use to work with this one guy that gave all his money to his little church, and he use to basically live life around his church, but thats his life its his money, but the guy use to always tell me and this kid I worked with that we need to find god or we will be doomed.  I dunno my all time favorite's are the people that hand out religious pamphlets at halloween and don't give out any candy, I think its sad there pushing it on little kids.  

Also there are extremests of all religions, they seem to be more previlent in JH and Morman/LDS.  Some JH's live across the street from me and have never once preached to me.
I'm trapped in my American Nightmare Running Scared.

#20 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:28 PM

I dispise it when someone from a religious organization sends their children to knock on my door, Cowards!  I also find it insulting that some believe you are a heathen just because you don't belong to their particular sect.  I believe that folks should belong to whatever sect they want, but shouldn't come to my house and try to shove it down my throat.

oops.......I forgot for a minute......guess I am a heathen, or at least a Heretic! *snicker*   ;D
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#21 maharet

maharet

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:06 PM

Actually, you can confound the Jehovah's Witnesses by asking about the Book of Ruth, in the Old Testament. They can't explain it because it's not in their Bible and it's against their beliefs to actually acknowledge a great woman in the Bible.

I've tried several different methods with the Mormons. I've used: It's against my beliefs to talk to you, my mother told I can't talk to you, etc. Of course, then I grew up and just started being polite, but firm to them.

I have several Mormon friends but they're obviously done with their mission work at this point.

THE MOST effective I've seen was something people were doing in South America. The upperclasses live in walled-in homes so you have to ring a doorbell to even get in the gate. They have big signs posted, explaining that they're Catholic, happy with their faith, and if the person approaching is a missionary from another faith, don't waste their prostlytizing. I guess some of the Catholic churches have had run-ins with Jehovah's Witnesses coming in to preach too so now churches are putting the signs up too.

#22 snap43nib

snap43nib

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:40 PM

My grandmother raised a shovel at some JW's one time.  My brother and I were helping her do yard work, and a group of them were combing the nieghborhood, and they came to her and she told them, I'm Catholic (not me) and they kept preaching to her, she finally said if you don't leave I'm gonna call the cops, they kept it, so she raised a shovel, then they finally left.  The sad part is if you were to go to their door and preach your religion they wouldn't take it or put up with it.  Along with that there is a no soliciting policy in my city, but for some reason they fall into the loop hole, along with charities.

Another thing about the JW's one time when I was a kid, a few nieghbothood kids and I were playing in the fornt yard, my mother saw them down the strret and told up to go in the back yard, (behind a 6ft stockade fence) they knocked on the front door for ever, then came up the drive and knocked on the side windows, then knocked on the gate, I beleive the only reason they didn't open it was my dog was barking.  Its not preaching the way I see it, its more a form of harassment.
I'm trapped in my American Nightmare Running Scared.

#23 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:52 AM

ROTFLMAO!!!!  Aloha, you are too funny!!  And you bring up a good point.  There are things about my faith that I don't like as well. :)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#24 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:57 PM

I gotta a pentagram hung on my door
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#25 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:46 PM

Since I brought it up, I guess I should at least say which actually are / were factual.

In a General (ie world-wide) Conference in 1978, President Spencer W. Kimball announced a revelation with wide-reaching effects.

There is no conclusive proof that ties Brigham Young to the MMM.  John D. Lee was the single person tried for this crime.

The story of the Three Nephites comes from the book of Third Nephi in the Book of Mormon.

The Adam-God Theory was opined in the 1840s but was never canonized.  Current leadership marks it as false.

Over a hundred Restorationist Churches claim Brother Joseph as their founder.  We revere him as the first prophet of the latter-days.  We do not worship or pray to him.  We only put candles in front of his painting in order to scare greenies.

Here's a Mormon joke:

Q:  How can you tell it's a Mormon Wedding?
A:  The bride isn't pregnant, but her mother is!

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#26 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:57 AM

I gotta a pentagram hung on my door

*giggles* I do too...still doesnt seem to discourage them :-/
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#27 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm, I must be an oddball.  I have always taken the time to be friendly and polite to them, and listen to what they have to say.  I have even accepted some of their literature, but didn't read it.  I guess I view it as, they have a job to do, and that is to spread the word of their belief.  It doesn't hurt me to listen, and I have found that by being polite and respectful, they have returned the same.  I usually collect their literature from a few visits and then give it back to them and tell them that I just am not interested, but thanks just the same.  

On a sidenote, I was once in downtown Victoria BC, and two gentlemen approached me and said that God had sent them to find me specifically.  I thought at first the big guy was mad at me and sent a couple of hench men to rough me up, but it turns out, he asked them to pray for me.  So they asked my permission to pray for me, and I of course said yes.  What could it hurt?  Wellllllllll, their version of praying for me slightly differed from mine.  I thought when they went to bed that night, and knelt beside their beds to say their "now I lay me down to sleep" , they would toss in a "and please bless Justa".  NOT!!! One of them put his hand on my shoulder, and the other put his hand on my forehead, and they started praying and Praising God and Jesus right there in the middle of the street, packed with passers by.  Lifes most embarassing moments.  But they left there happy, feeling like they had fulfilled their mission, and I just swallowed my pride, and with all the dignity I could muster, I jumped on the nearest bus, and got the heck out of town.  ;D
Posted Image

#28 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:16 AM

Hmmm, I must be an oddball.  I have always taken the time to be friendly and polite to them, and listen to what they have to say.  I have even accepted some of their literature, but didn't read it.  I guess I view it as, they have a job to do, and that is to spread the word of their belief.  It doesn't hurt me to listen, and I have found that by being polite and respectful, they have returned the same.  I usually collect their literature from a few visits and then give it back to them and tell them that I just am not interested, but thanks just the same.

Of course Justa is right.  Playing pranks or scaring away missionaries of any religion is a last resort.

I normally won't take literature unless I nam willing to read through it at least once.  It costs money to print pamphlets and books, so they should spend it on interested people.

#29 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:38 PM

See what you started Rattie? You opened the door for Aloha and he came in and won't leave, HA HA

Just kidding Aloha, love your personal insight!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#30 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:21 PM

Mahalo Bridget!

I find I generally take more from this village  than what I contribute.  Where else do you find people from such diverse backgrounds supporting each other?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users