Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Strange Creatures

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Strange Creatures

Which of these creatures do you believe exist?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Have you ever seen one of these?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ryan002

ryan002

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for voting! Can't wait to see what you say. If you've had an encounter with one of the creatures, tell us your story!
Ryan"If the Dead can't rest in peace, how on Earth can the living?"

#2 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

This is better suited for the Urban Legends board.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#3 ryan002

ryan002

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:12 AM

Thanks, I wasn't too sure where to put it.
Ryan"If the Dead can't rest in peace, how on Earth can the living?"

#4 sweetmamadot777

sweetmamadot777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality , Ghost history , Angels , My Family and my two wee doggies xx

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

Well, you just know that any one from this Bonnie Land just has to believe in Nessie....it's tradition...lol, but, seriously, there have been so many sightings that I believe there has to be something down there ! I've seen the waters on the Loch move as if a big tide was coming in, but no Nessie ! and there are no tides on Loch Ness ...it's such a shame that unscrupulous people "doctor" up photos of her, makes every one think it's just a myth !

Posted Image
Life isn't about waiting for the sun.It's about learning to dance in the rain

#5 AnnieV

AnnieV

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

I voted that I believe in Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, simply because of the amount of "sightings". So many people have seen these things, so I believe they're definately seeing something out of the ordinary. I mean, c'mon, if Nessie were nothing but floating logs or ripples on the water, why wouldn't such a "creature" have been sighted in every lake in the world? As far as what it is that people have seen for decades and decades...I have no idea.

And actually, although I didn't vote that I believe in vampires (because I don't believe in the blood-sucking undead who can turn into bats...sorry Moonie :vampire: ), there is a certain medical condition that causes an aversion to sunlight and a craving for raw meat--or blood--, along with other characteristic symptoms. And I actually think this is where the lore of vampires originated from in many cultures.
Posted Image

#6 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Of all of them I think Sasquatches are the most believable. Lake monsters may be true but I'm still not truly convinced of their existence quite yet.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#7 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

And actually, although I didn't vote that I believe in vampires (because I don't believe in the blood-sucking undead who can turn into bats...sorry Moonie ;) ), there is a certain medical condition that causes an aversion to sunlight and a craving for raw meat--or blood--, along with other characteristic symptoms. And I actually think this is where the lore of vampires originated from in many cultures.

I might believe in Nessie and that's it... I can explain "Big Foot" by it possibly being a person affected with "hypertrichosis" (although that still leaves the size... growth disorder?). This is where the wolf man came from so who knows?
Annie... I think youre thinking of porypheria (there are different types of onset)... One of the kings had it... and it is involved in the Edgar Allan Poe Death Theory... I've been tested for AIP (interestingly it's known as "vampire disease") and at times my pee does turn dark red in the sun but my blood is negative. I have every symptom.
Love life.

#8 huntmoney

huntmoney

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

I said that I believe in zombies, however I'm not talking about the type you see in Night of the Living Dead type movies, I mean the cases of people in Haiti and other places were voodoo is prevalent where people are drugged to make them appear dead then are buried. Afterwards, the person who poisened them comes back to dig up the person, kidnaps them, brainwashes them and uses them to work on plantations. This has been scientifically documented, though it is not at all supernatural.

Also, whether we believe in cryptozoological creatures such as Nessie, we should keep in mind that the Komodo Dragon was once believed to be myth...until scientists began to spot them, now they are a well decumented species. And don't forget the Tasmanian tiger, the giant squid, or the coelecanth(spelling?) which were believed to be long extinct until rare sightings/captures of these highly endangered species were eventually proven. Bigfoot, the thunderbird, Nessie, the great laviathan, even other types of dragons could very well fall under this class of "lost" animals. After all, how could so many different cultures with minimal to no contact with eachother have all been able to describe such similar creatures?

Just a thought.
~Hunter

#9 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:32 AM

Big Foot, Loch Ness.

No, haven't seen yet.

With regards to Zombies and Vampires, they might be on another plane,perhaps. As for Vampires, I love vampires and their folklore.
Posted Image

#10 apachedove

apachedove

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

Bigfoot, dont know if thats what its called where Im at, but there has been many sightings over the years here in North and South Carolina. About 4 years ago my son, then 16 and 2 friends of his saw a large, hairy somewhat human shaped thing outside the house at the edge of the property, about 60 foot away. Scared the poo out of them!

The place we live at now has woods on 2 sides of it and for the last 3 weeks we have been hearing loud high pitched screams. Dont know what it is yet but my dog who usually barks at everything runs for her doghouse and hides.

We found out that the sitings are always around or near a stream called Beaver Dam Creek. Also found out that the stream runs through the wooded area on our property, same place we have heard the screams. So I dont know whats going on. But I dont spend my time on the porch at night just relaxing, because I dont want to see whats out there lol. Maybe he just wants to join me for some coffee and a ciggerette!!!!!!!!! :whee:

#11 Virgo/Libra Cusp

Virgo/Libra Cusp

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:The unknown and mis-understood

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

Anyone hear of El Chupacabra? It's like an animal form of a vampire.. I watched something on Discovery Channel about this awhile back and found it very interesting... (found this on about.com)

Even though some sightings date back to the 1970s, El Chupacabra - "the goat sucker" - is primarily a phenomenon of the 1990s, and its fame has largely been spread by the Internet. The sightings started in earnest in 1995 with reports coming out of Puerto Rico of a strange creature that was killing farmers' livestock - chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits and, of course, goats - sometimes hundreds of animals in one evening. The farmers, who were familiar with the killing practices of wild dogs and other predators, claimed that the methods of this unknown beast were different. It didn't try to eat the animals it killed, for example; nor did it drag them away to be devoured elsewhere. Instead, the creature killed by draining its victims of blood, usually through small incisions.

Then came the bizarre eyewitness descriptions:

about the size of a chimpanzee
hops about like a kangaroo
large glowing red eyes
grayish skin and hairy arms
long snake-like tongue
sharp fangs
quills running along its spine that seem to open and close like a fan
some believe it may even have wings
Some witnesses actually claim to have seen Chupacabra fly! .
Toward the end of the '90s, the sightings of Chupacabra began to spread. The creature was blamed for animal killings in Mexico, southern Texas and several South American countries. In May and June of 2000, a rash of incidents took place in Chile, according to certain newspapers there. In fact, some of the most incredible claims yet came out of those sightings: that at least one of the creatures was caught alive by local authorities, then handed over to official agencies of the US government.

What is it? Theories abound, including: an unknown but natural species of predator; misidentified known predators; the result of genetic experimentation; an alien. Most serious researchers consider Chupacabra merely folklore, perpetuated by over-enthusiastic locals immersed in superstition or a penchant for telling tall, exaggerated tales.

Yet you can be sure that we haven't seen or heard the last of Chupacabra.
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints in our hearts...and we are never, ever the same. - Author Unknown

#12 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

Bigfoot and Nessie seem to be winning.....great idea for a poll ryan!

I voted for the two I just mentioned because new species are being found everyday so personally I think it could be possible they exist. I also think Zombies and Vampires exist but not in the way they've been portrayed in the media.
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#13 honeybeary

honeybeary

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

I vote bigfoot and Loch Ness Monster.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#14 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

There's always a possibility of Bigfoot and Nessie being real because as Willow pointed out, new species are found every day. In the case of Nessie, we already know that creatures like it used to exist in prehistoric times. (plesiosaurs) So why would it be so hard to believe that something like that still exists? The lake is so deep and might have channels to the ocean, and really who knows what might be in the depths of the ocean. Probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of undiscovered species.

I'm starting to believe in Bigfoot less and less as time goes on though. I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but I wonder why no one has found bones or a body yet and with everyone having camera phones now, there should be one captured on film by some campers or something eventually. I wonder if sightings might be completely paranormal. Residual hauntings or seeing into the past and viewing long extinct creatures maybe? Or maybe seeing spirits of human ancestors still roaming around?

Great topic for a poll. I love the topic of cryptozoology.

#15 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

I don't believe in any of them. Sorry. Most video's of Nessie and Champ (same type of creature but in a lake in New Hampshire in the US) turn out to usually be sturgeons, crocodiles, hippos or some other large sea life that travels in small packs. Sturgeons are fish that travel together and have humps. When they are in a pack and close to the surface while feeding, they look like one animal when viewed from a distance. Something similar to this was just shown on that new show Destination Truth which is on right after Ghost Hunters on SciFi. The team went to Africa to look for a lake monster and it turned out to be two hippos swimming together. They were also in search of a Bigfoot-like creature as well in Cambodia where they discovered a girl who was said to have lived among the animals in the jungle for 18 years.

Any video's I've ever seen of "Bigfoot" look strangely like a large human in an ape suit. Whatever they catch always walks/runs and has mannerisms that are more human-like than an animal who lives in the wilderness. Plus, how come there are no baby bigfoots? For it to live that long, there would have to be at least some families of them so they could reproduce. If there was a bigfoot, he/she surely would have been "caught" by now with present day technology.

Vampires, yeah right! Other than the disease mentioned above which causes symptoms similar to the vampire myth........everyone knows that Count Dracula is a legend/myth from Romania.

Zombies, no way. I don't even know where that myth came from. I'd love to be enlightened, really. I know people used to be buried when they were still alive because certain illnesses lower the blood pressure and heartrate so much that a person appears dead. That is why in Europe they would "plant" a bell into the ground next to a newly dug grave that was attached to a string inside the coffin so if the person awoke they could ring the bell and be dug up. Hence the term "dead ringer." I also know that is how the term "Graveyard Shift" came into being because someone had to sit and mind the newly dug graves in the case a person rang the bell.

Sorry to be such a bummer on this one.

I do believe in UFOs, (government cover-up), life forms from other planets that live and walk among us and can come and go at will, spirits, angels, ghosts, and a higher power though.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users